Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-01-2019, 07:10 AM   #46
moorekom
Connoisseur
moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Oasis 3, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma, Onyx Note pro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokei View Post
Very interesting thread, thanks.

I have a Kobo Forma and also consider to sell it and by an Aura One. I like the big, flush screen of the Forma but still checking if PWM is an issue for me.

My question is: is it confirmed that Aura One (and all other models from Kobo?) do not use PWM? Or is it just that with the Forma someone checked it the first time?

A bit of the pain is that Rakuten in Japan, where I bought the Forma, does not accept returns unless the device is broken. And it does not seem like the Aura One is still sold.
As far as I know, Forma is the only ereader with PWM. I tried to make a slow motion video of kobo aura one's light and couldn't see any flickering. Now, that's a sample size of 1, so take that with a grain of salt.

Aura one has two versions. 8 GB and the limited edition 32 GB for manga. LE and Forma share some similar features, especially for manga reading but A1 does not have landscape unlike Forma.I believe the 32 GB version can be still available whereas the 8 GB is not. I believe 32 GB is the same price as Forma.

The KA1's lighting has its own issues. Earlier units had poor quality control and had green splotches in the screen. I had to play the screen lottery several times to get one that was good. I've read that the later batches were mostly devoid of the green splotches. So, my advice would be to buy from somewhere with a good return policy. In my opinion, Kobo's quality control is atrocious and is not to be trusted. The hardware itself is pretty good, like kindle. I haven't had any issues on mine since I received it. I guess it will go on for a few more years without issues.

KA1's touch accuracy is hit or miss. It's fine for casual reading, but if you want to annotate a lot or to take notes, it won't work well.

Now, I have a few questions for you. I've been eyeing the Forma for a while because of the lighter weight (197 vs 230) and one handed design. The only thing that has kept me away is pwm. Is it bothersome? Noticeable? Do you get fatigue? How is night time reading? The main usage for my kobo is night time so any issues with PWM lighting would be a deal breaker to me. If you end up buying KA1, can you post your opinions here?
moorekom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:14 AM   #47
Tokei
Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Thanks moorekom for the helpful answer. I think it is good advice to not take chances with the screen lottery. But will not be easy since I don't think the Aura One is still sold (at least not in the markets where I could buy). So I thought about buying one used but that might be more risky in terms of getting a good screen.

There is a good thread regarding the Forma's PWM here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=312108

It is very hard to say whether PWM is really a problem or something in your head. Most in the above's thread said they do not have an issue with the Forma's PWM. Also, based on what can be found in the internet, a 1khz PWM used by the Forma should not be a problem (below 200Hz is considered noticeable and the higher the Hz the better).

Nonetheless, I am thinking of selling the Forma and buying another reader for that very reason. I am pretty sure that if I didnt know about PWM I wouldnt have a problem with it, but knowing it and looking for it, I have the feeling that indeed the display is not perfectly still. It is very subtle but in my impression there is a difference in terms of the lighting's stillness vs. my old Paperwhite. I dont think it will cause me headaches or eyestrain but it's there and now I cannot unsee it.

Reading your post and your concerns about PWM I would recommend to stick with the Aura1. If there is that voice in your head about PWM your are already slipping down the slope - will be hard to dispel the doubts. I think 30gr of weight is not that huge of a difference. The handling of the Forma is admittedly very nice though - I was surprised how light it is and I like to have some space to properly grab it. Buttons also a plus. If you have any chance definitely check it out before you buy.
Tokei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:09 AM   #48
moorekom
Connoisseur
moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Oasis 3, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma, Onyx Note pro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokei View Post
Thanks moorekom for the helpful answer. I think it is good advice to not take chances with the screen lottery. But will not be easy since I don't think the Aura One is still sold (at least not in the markets where I could buy). So I thought about buying one used but that might be more risky in terms of getting a good screen.

There is a good thread regarding the Forma's PWM here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=312108

It is very hard to say whether PWM is really a problem or something in your head. Most in the above's thread said they do not have an issue with the Forma's PWM. Also, based on what can be found in the internet, a 1khz PWM used by the Forma should not be a problem (below 200Hz is considered noticeable and the higher the Hz the better).

Nonetheless, I am thinking of selling the Forma and buying another reader for that very reason. I am pretty sure that if I didnt know about PWM I wouldnt have a problem with it, but knowing it and looking for it, I have the feeling that indeed the display is not perfectly still. It is very subtle but in my impression there is a difference in terms of the lighting's stillness vs. my old Paperwhite. I dont think it will cause me headaches or eyestrain but it's there and now I cannot unsee it.

Reading your post and your concerns about PWM I would recommend to stick with the Aura1. If there is that voice in your head about PWM your are already slipping down the slope - will be hard to dispel the doubts. I think 30gr of weight is not that huge of a difference. The handling of the Forma is admittedly very nice though - I was surprised how light it is and I like to have some space to properly grab it. Buttons also a plus. If you have any chance definitely check it out before you buy.
Thank you.

What is the normal lighting settings you use for day and night reading? If you're thinking of getting A1 used, ask them to provide you pictures of exactly that range. My A1 has a very very small green blotch at the bottom at certain ranges but it is acceptable to me. Since it's at the bottom, I just enable footer and don't worry about it. Side to side gradient bothers me more than top to bottom gradient. Point is, you might have to take into account of all this preferences for immersion.

I've seen some screens with no blotches at all. At most ranges, mine doesn't have any blotches either. This is more common as you go up on light intensity. I see the same thing is true for Forma as well. At 100% light, Forma's light appears to be perfectly still too. But we won't be using 100% at night.

I completely understand your concern about screen stillness and the paranoia that it can bring. If you're not aware of it, you might be able to dismiss it as a glitch, but when you are aware of imperfections, you become more aware of it and hence require better standards. It's a shame, really. Other than this PWM issue, Forma is a very good design and very alluring. But, I will take your advice and just stick to my A1.

If you want to get something else other than a Forma or A1, you can try other alternatives.

Kobo Aura H2O2. 6.8", 265 ppip (I think), has orange light.

Kindle oasis 2. It doesn't have orange light but it has invert color option. It is also only 7". I have it also and it is very good for day reading and to be on the go. Kindle is king in the US and I would definitely recommend it for US. I'm not sure what impact it has in Japan.

Likebook has some 7.8" options with orange light. I believe tolino and onyx do too. You can check those out for similar options to KA1. They run android so they might not be polished but that also means they are customizable.

PS: I've seen that thread and all the replies there (including yours).
moorekom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:30 AM   #49
Tokei
Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tokei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Thanks, moorekom.

If I can get a Kobo Aura One at a good price (and good screen), I think I will go for it. But it is hard to get here (I am in Singapore but travel regularly to Japan). I saw a used KA1 on Amazon Japan for ~160USD which would be a good price I think but returning would be a pain if I am not satisfied.

I also looked at your other suggestions, thanks. Kindle is out because I want to use the library, so I need either direct Overdrive or epub+Adobe DRM support. Ironically, the Kobo does not support direct Overdrive in Singapore (the Kobo guys make funny decisions) so I had to use my desktop PC to get a book from Overdrive to the reader through the Adobe DE software.

The Likebook Mars/Muses seems nice but not really available here. The Onyx Nova Pro seems pretty cool (would not need the “pro” part but the non-pro is already discontinued??). It is available here for an okayish price. Will definitely research more about this one.
Tokei is offline   Reply With Quote