Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-23-2019, 05:00 AM   #91
ReaLx3m
Groupie
ReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Thanks for replying. It turns out that when the new firmware downloaded, on reboot my Kobo was given an IP address already taken by another device. Therefore, it couldn’t connect to my network. Even rebooting the Kobo and the WiFi routers didn’t fix the problem. I eventually assigned a static IP to the KA1’s MAC address on the router, took them and my KA1 down, then rebooted one at a time with my KA1 last. That fixed the issue.

This would have been easier if Kobo allowed me to specify a static IP on my KA1. Was the fault with the Apple Base Station? It shouldn’t have handed out the wrong IP address. Or was it the Kobo? The Kobo retained the wrong IP address even after I deleted the WiFi entry for the router and relogged back in.

Who knows? Networking is voodoo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Strange, this shouldnt have happened. Maybe you have a second device on your network with also activated DHCP server besides the apple base station?

*tinhat on*Or maybe apple is planning to get into e-reader market so is sabotaging e-readers from the competition?You heard it here first, someone contact macrumors asap
ReaLx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:35 AM   #92
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Thanks for replying. It turns out that when the new firmware downloaded, on reboot my Kobo was given an IP address already taken by another device. Therefore, it couldn’t connect to my network. Even rebooting the Kobo and the WiFi routers didn’t fix the problem. I eventually assigned a static IP to the KA1’s MAC address on the router, took them and my KA1 down, then rebooted one at a time with my KA1 last. That fixed the issue.

This would have been easier if Kobo allowed me to specify a static IP on my KA1. Was the fault with the Apple Base Station? It shouldn’t have handed out the wrong IP address. Or was it the Kobo? The Kobo retained the wrong IP address even after I deleted the WiFi entry for the router and relogged back in.

Who knows? Networking is voodoo.
I don't think this is the fault of the ereader. It is more likely to be the DHCP server. Which I assume is on the Apple Base Station. That assigns addresses and remembers the MAC address it gave the address to. Restarting the device should get the same address. For a home router, I would normally assume that it doesn't remember addresses across reboots. But, any device/computer that had an address before the router reboot will still think it has the address afterwards until the lease expires. And if you use a long lease, that could be a long time. That would mean if a device got its address and you rebooted the router, the next device ask for address could get the same address.

Personally, I have reserved IP addresses on my router for all my PCs and most of the devices. The router saves them and uses them from then on. It's mainly useful for the NAS and PCs so I can access them all the time, but it is handy to be able to ping or telnet to known addresses for the ereaders. And it means I don't have to configure the networking on most of the devices.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:33 AM   #93
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
For a home router, I would normally assume that it doesn't remember addresses across reboots.
You'd think that, and you might think that restarting both the router and the device would make both forget the address. But either one can retain associations, and when a device renews its address, it can re-request the old one even if the router's dhcp server has forgotten and the device has been rebooted.

At that point, it's up to the dhcp server to decide if it will reissue the old address or give the new address. A good dhcp server would attempt to ping the old address before reissuing it. Sometimes the only way to force the address to change is to ban the dhcp server from passing it out somehow.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:48 AM   #94
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
You'd think that, and you might think that restarting both the router and the device would make both forget the address. But either one can retain associations, and when a device renews its address, it can re-request the old one even if the router's dhcp server has forgotten and the device has been rebooted.

At that point, it's up to the dhcp server to decide if it will reissue the old address or give the new address. A good dhcp server would attempt to ping the old address before reissuing it. Sometimes the only way to force the address to change is to ban the dhcp server from passing it out somehow.
Many routers allow you to reserve internal IP addresses. So all you need do is tell the router that the given device is to retain the IP address. Also, many routers allow you to use a different MAC address and when you spoof the MAC address of the router, you get a new IP from your Internet provider. Then to change that, just remove this MAC address and use the router's MAC address. But wait a week and you'll then get another IP.

If your router cannot do any of these things, then your router needs to be replaced with a more capable router.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:02 PM   #95
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Many routers allow you to reserve internal IP addresses. So all you need do is tell the router that the given device is to retain the IP address. Also, many routers allow you to use a different MAC address and when you spoof the MAC address of the router, you get a new IP from your Internet provider. Then to change that, just remove this MAC address and use the router's MAC address. But wait a week and you'll then get another IP.

If your router cannot do any of these things, then your router needs to be replaced with a more capable router.
Very little of that has anything to do with the problem being discussed. The problem is with the internal address. @ReaLx3m had a problem with the address that their DHCP server was giving out, not the address given out by their ISP.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:45 PM   #96
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
True, anything that acts as a DHCP client can chose to store the lease across restarts. And ask for it when they restart. Whether they get it is another thing. But, they also shouldn't assume they still own the address. But, I'm sure there are devices that do assume this.

Having a look at my Aura ONE, it is storing the leases (in "/var/db/dhcpcd-eth0-*.lease" with one file per WiFi network). When connecting, it is reading this and sending a request. But, it doesn't look like it will keep using the address if it doesn't get a response that it can.
Quote:
Pinging an address isn't a particularly good method to decide if an address is in use. Or, more accurately, that an address is not in use. Far to many server/routers/devices won't respond. And the main DHCP servers I deal with wouldn't actually be able to see the devices they are issuing addresses for. The requests are being proxied through a router.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:26 AM   #97
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
That would mean if a device got its address and you rebooted the router, the next device ask for address could get the same address.
Most DHCP servers ping an address before offering it ('Address Conflict Detection'). Also, a client that already has a DHCP-supplied address when it reboots or renews it is supposed to ask the server for that specific IP address.

Still, it's not an ideal world... So yes, it could happen, especially with cheap SOHO stuff.

Edit: OK, I should read the entire thread first
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:54 AM   #98
marianico
marianico began at the beginning.

Device: No way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorka View Post
FInally got the time to install this on one of my mini's. No problems found at the moment. All working fine
Thank you
marianico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:35 AM   #99
ururk
ururk began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
I have a Walmart Kobo Forma - is there any way to turn it into a "kobo" Forma or a "rakutenbooks" Forma? Besides the splash screen on boot annoying me, I'd prefer to get firmware updates as soon as possible.
ururk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:35 AM   #100
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ururk View Post
I have a Walmart Kobo Forma - is there any way to turn it into a "kobo" Forma or a "rakutenbooks" Forma? Besides the splash screen on boot annoying me, I'd prefer to get firmware updates as soon as possible.
Look for the affiliate.conf in your .kobo directory and manually edit it.
Mine looks like
Code:
[General]
affiliate=Kobo
Other affiliate choices are available. I've no idea which one is considered "best".
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:17 AM   #101
gabryele
Connoisseur
gabryele began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura one
Quote:
Yes, that is the option I was referring to.
new version (kobo touch extended 3.1)

Missing option?

Last edited by gabryele; 04-29-2019 at 10:20 AM.
gabryele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:23 AM   #102
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabryele View Post
new version (kobo touch extended 3.1)

Missing option?
No. Removed option. With the change in the firmware, and other changes in the driver, it is not needed. In fact, as discussed it was potentially harmful.

There are release notes for the plugin in it's thread. There is also discussion of this option and its removal in that thread.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:15 PM   #103
gabryele
Connoisseur
gabryele began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura one
Quote:
No. Removed option. With the change in the firmware, and other changes in the driver, it is not needed. In fact, as discussed it was potentially harmful.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=86

I had mistakenly thought and understood that it was recommended.

Better so
gabryele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:19 PM   #104
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabryele View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=86

I had mistakenly thought and understood that it was recommended.

Better so
No, I was telling you to make sure it was turned off if using firmware 4.13.12638.

And for the record, the issues with calibre and 4.13.12638 have been fixed with calibre version 3.41.0.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:12 PM   #105
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Kobo has released 4.13.12638-s

The funny thing is, nothing seems to have changed.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote