Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-23-2019, 03:50 AM   #16
ReaLx3m
Groupie
ReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRagg View Post
U3 says nothing about the cards application performance which is what you need.Its nice to copy books with good speed, but how often is this relevant ?

Newer cards come with A1 and A2 labels, this is an indication for application performance.
IIRC A1 is 500/1500 IOPS and A2 2000/4000 IOPS. This is what makes your e-Reader fly.
OS's and Applictions have small random read/writes 4k/8k/16k, the faster they are read/written the more performance you experience.

You can have all the speed in the world but you only notice performance if the current configuration is under-performing. If the software requires 600 IOPS but the card maxes out at 300, you will notice that performance pretty quick. That also means that anything over 600 is wasted money. Keep in mind though that if the software changes, like the update from 3.x to 4.x, the IOPS requirement may also change.
So Id rather overpay a bit to be on the safe side.

So how about benchmarking the cards in the Kobo e-reader and posting the results ?
(benchmarking in other devices doesnt mean anything, if found that out the hard way)

https://liliputing.com/2018/10/sandi...k-2k-iops.html
If you have understanding on the subject and didnt just do a quick google for "best sd card", and also read the thread which would be a requirement to be a part of the discussion, you would have noticed that iops have been mentioned.
ReaLx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:48 AM   #17
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaLx3m View Post
Got interested on the subject , turns out there was an update in march 2017.They used to be "Samsung Evo+" , and after the update renamed to "Samsung Evo Plus"
Where can I read about it?

I watched the official website of the Samsung, there are generally no markings U3 on the cards 64 gigabyte Evo Plus. But it is quite usual, did not update the site and information, for example.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:56 AM   #18
ReaLx3m
Groupie
ReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
Where can I read about it?

I watched the official website of the Samsung, there are generally no markings U3 on the cards 64 gigabyte Evo Plus. But it is quite usual, did not update the site and information, for example.
On this link from official samsung website you can see the u3 markings on the card.
You can also see in the link it says "2017 model"

I attached a pic with the marking circled in green
Click image for larger version

Name:	evo 64.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	170875
Old 04-23-2019, 06:09 AM   #19
BloodRagg
Zealot
BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
If you have understanding on the subject and didnt just do a quick google for "best sd card", and also read the thread which would be a requirement to be a part of the discussion, you would have noticed that iops have been mentioned.
Is it so much effort to benchmark a couple of cards, that you assume that I have not read the thread ? I even wrote an app for it, so the least you can do is give me a little credit. Those IOzone results tell more than those posted on the internet as i highly doubt they ran on Kobo's.

If you run into trouble, I am more than willing to help you out.
BloodRagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:20 AM   #20
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
ReaLx3m,
thank you, then need to look for an sd card with exactly this label

In other languages (nl) the site shows other pictures, not updated.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:31 AM   #21
ReaLx3m
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRagg View Post
Is it so much effort to benchmark a couple of cards, that you assume that I have not read the thread ? I even wrote an app for it, so the least you can do is give me a little credit. Those IOzone results tell more than those posted on the internet as i highly doubt they ran on Kobo's.

If you run into trouble, I am more than willing to help you out.
In one of the previous posts i did mention the boot time and 4k performance(which translates iops) of a 32GB Evo Plus and Sandisk Extreme 128GB, so it seemed to me that you just did a quick google or didnt pay attention.I was just getting up from sleep, and that might contributed to my reply seeming bit hard, sry if it is so .

While the sandisk extreme cards do have the A2 rating, they dont seem to perform at that level, android police tested it, and my own tests also confirm it. Maybe they could get to that level by using their own Sandisk Extreme Card reader, i dont know as i dont have it.But as of the moment i dont have any proof that they are better than the Samsung Evo Plus, so its not logical to me to pay more for an A2 card, thus my recommendation.

Ofcourse that thorough testing on the device would net best results(including different cluster sizes) but the idea was to offer an simple solution to zodwallop. As with only copying the image and expanding it afterwards to the new size with partition wizard, i got better usability results with a Samsung Evo Plus 32GB, compared to Sandisk Extreme A2 128GB.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:04 AM   #22
BloodRagg
Zealot
BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BloodRagg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
In one of the previous posts i did mention the boot time and 4k performance(which translates iops) of a 32GB Evo Plus and Sandisk Extreme 128GB, so it seemed to me that you just did a quick google or didnt pay attention.I was just getting up from sleep, and that might contributed to my reply seeming bit hard, sry if it is so .
Np mate.

Quote:
While the sandisk extreme cards do have the A2 rating, they dont seem to perform at that level, android police tested it, and my own tests also confirm it. Maybe they could get to that level by using their own Sandisk Extreme Card reader, i dont know as i dont have it.But as of the moment i dont have any proof that they are better than the Samsung Evo Plus, so its not logical to me to pay more for an A2 card, thus my recommendation.

Ofcourse that thorough testing on the device would net best results(including different cluster sizes) but the idea was to offer an simple solution to zodwallop. As with only copying the image and expanding it afterwards to the new size with partition wizard, i got better usability results with a Samsung Evo Plus 32GB, compared to Sandisk Extreme A2 128GB.
I used to have this excel sheet with cards and benchmarks copied from various sites, but that turned out the be misleading. I burned myself with a couple of cards, so I started testing. The difference between the 'Sandisk Extreme' and the 'SanDisk Extreme Pro' are huge in my Kobo. Whilst in a PC its not that noticeable.

I came to the conclusion there isn't a simple answer, unless somebody tried that card/kobo combination before. I wrote the app in the hope people would start benchmarking their cards, so we could get some clarity on that.
BloodRagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:50 AM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Since cards are so cheap, I'm now considering buying a 128GB card to replace the 64GB card in my Surface for comics. Then taking the old 64GB card (make/model unknown) for my Clara.

As long as it doesn't impair the Clara's current speed, I'll be happy. I don't expect an ereader to be zippy. But the Clara is noticeably faster than my Aura (when searching collections, for example).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:17 PM   #24
ReaLx3m
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Since cards are so cheap, I'm now considering buying a 128GB card to replace the 64GB card in my Surface for comics. Then taking the old 64GB card (make/model unknown) for my Clara.

As long as it doesn't impair the Clara's current speed, I'll be happy. I don't expect an ereader to be zippy. But the Clara is noticeably faster than my Aura (when searching collections, for example).
Make/model unknowns can have 3-4 times slower 4k speeds.Even reputable brand old models and some current ones too can have very poor 4k speeds compared to recommended options.
But probably best from financial standpoint is to just disregard numbers and try it in real usage scenarios and see how it feels, and if you find it satisfactory then great, you saved yourself few bucks.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:48 PM   #25
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Make/model unknowns can have 3-4 times slower 4k speeds.Even reputable brand old models and some current ones too can have very poor 4k speeds compared to recommended options.
But probably best from financial standpoint is to just disregard numbers and try it in real usage scenarios and see how it feels, and if you find it satisfactory then great, you saved yourself few bucks.
The make/model is only unknown because it's been in my Surface for so long I've forgotten what it is. Whatever it is, it's likely either a Sandisk or Samsung. I wouldn't buy a no-name SD card.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 02:55 PM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The make/model is only unknown because it's been in my Surface for so long I've forgotten what it is. Whatever it is, it's likely either a Sandisk or Samsung. I wouldn't buy a no-name SD card.
At least not knowingly. I have a package with 5 uSD cards which are supposedly SanDisk. The friend of mine who purchased them from a vendor on Amazon was disappointed when they did not live up to his expectations and gave them to me to check out. A bit of quick testing basically said they were not real SanDisk products. H2testw reported the real capacity was 32GB for what were supposedly 128GB capacity, the speed was about 10MBps and a visual check showed the labelling did not match a real SanDisk.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote