Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-13-2017, 12:08 AM   #31
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKK View Post
I am hoping for a 6" paperwhite with Bluetooth support and an option for more than 4gb of space.
What would bluetooth be used for on a Paperwhite? To me that implies some sort of audio, but wouldn't that take the device out of the Paperwhite territory?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:09 AM   #32
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
What would bluetooth be used for on a Paperwhite? To me that implies some sort of audio, but wouldn't that take the device out of the Paperwhite territory?
The PW3 already has audio capability (via a USB dongle)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:47 AM   #33
SKK
Addict
SKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
The basic kindle has bluetooth, and it is getting audio support through a update, so why not the paperwhite.
SKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:52 AM   #34
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The PW3 already has audio capability (via a USB dongle)
I believe we are talking about a new Paperwhite, not the current one. The newer models all have BT so it is reasonable to assume future ones will as well.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:47 AM   #35
newday07
Connoisseur
newday07 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3
when do you think that a new PW will be released?
newday07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:54 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I can think of other things to do in the dark.
But that's something better done with someone else.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:18 PM   #37
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But that's something better done with someone else.
Nothing wrong with flying solo
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:48 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Nothing wrong with flying solo
There is if you have a partner.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:03 PM   #39
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is if you have a partner.
My partner doesn't care for solitaire.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:17 PM   #40
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I believe we are talking about a new Paperwhite, not the current one. The newer models all have BT so it is reasonable to assume future ones will as well.
"Newer models all have BT"
Right, there is only 1 "Newer" model.
Unless you include the 8th generation devices, in which case only one of those two have BT. For at total of two out of the three.

The post I quoted:
Quote:
The current (7th. generation) Paperwhite does have "some sort of audio", yet no one else seems to be saying that it is anywhere other than in the "Paperwhite territory".
Or if they are, they are a couple years too late in pointing it out.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:16 PM   #41
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
"Newer models all have BT"
Right, there is only 1 "Newer" model.
Unless you include the 8th generation devices, in which case only one of those two have BT. For at total of two out of the three.

The post I quoted:

The current (7th. generation) Paperwhite does have "some sort of audio", yet no one else seems to be saying that it is anywhere other than in the "Paperwhite territory".
Or if they are, they are a couple years too late in pointing it out.
Has it been established that Oasis 1 lacks bluetooth capability? FCC paperwork tied to Oasis indicated testing for both Wifi and Bluetooth:

https://the-digital-reader.com/2016/...audio-support/

Seems like these are the two 8th gen Kindles?

Moreover, the press release states that the Audiobook feature would be coming to both 8th gen devices (Kindle, and Kindle Oasis):

Quote:
Audible will be available on the all-new Kindle Oasis via a free over-the-air update when the device ships—and it will be available via a free over-the-air update to Kindle (Gen 8) and the first Kindle Oasis in the coming months.
This is strong evidence that Oasis 1 is BT-capable (just as with 8th gen Kindle) and awaits a software update to enable it. Oasis’ unique design (necessitating the need to flip the screen 180 degrees to switch hands) does not lend itself to having a wire hanging off of it for audio. Nor is there room for a speaker, given the priority given to thinness and lightness.

Oasis 1 does support VoiceView with the audio dongle used with Paperwhite (Voyage too), the first Kindle to have VoiceView. But it requires the charging cover to be attached to function. And (more than a headset wire) the dongle is a rather awkward thing to have hanging off, so there goes any pretense at ergonomics. Nobody would be happy with this just to have audio (VoiceView users can do just as well without lighted screens and page turn buttons, so the $79 Kindle or $119 Paperwhite will do just fine).

Moreover the act of plugging in the dongle turns on VoiceView. That is not really compatible with the Audible feature. Software update could change this behavior, but then we’re back to turning Oasis into this ugly thing with dongle hanging off of it. So the most plausible scenario is that the software update will enable BT on Oasis 1 for both Audiobook and VoiceView, just as with Oasis 2 and Kindle 8th gen (while disabling the support for audio dongle).

I can imagine that the Audible feature was in the works for awhile, but was not ready when 8th gen devices shipped (just as VoiceView was not ready when Paperwhite 3 shipped). Now they’re using Oasis 2 launch to reveal it (and the actual feature only arrives by update after you take it out of the box and register it).

Paperwhite 7th gen also has audio capability, as we learned some months after it shipped with the announcement of VoiceView on Kindle. It is one of the main reasons they bumped RAM up to 512MB (so voice data could be kept in RAM). But it is not getting Audible, because they would have to eliminate the dead-simple way of enabling VoiceView (by plugging the dongle in) and that would draw the ire of the AFB and others whose lawsuits brought about VoiceView in the first place.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-13-2017 at 06:28 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:30 PM   #42
knc1
Going Viral

You quote the wrong post of mine.
Earlier I said: "Maybe"
And gave reasons.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:48 PM   #43
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I would love to see a 7" Voyage, (at current voyage price, mind you, which makes it seem unlikely).. I just can't bring myself to like the design concept of the oasis. I know it's supposed to be super easy to hold one handed, but I like the freedom of shifting hands without having to worry about turning my book around!
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:00 PM   #44
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Drop the basic Kindle??? I sure hope not. I only buy basic models. The rest of the line is too expensive. I currently use a Kindle 7th gen and will use it until it gives up the ghost.
I don't think the Basic Model will be dropped. I think Amazon likes having those entry level Kindles and Fires. (And they sell kid's bundles for both devices.) I certainly hope they don't drop the Basic – so far I haven't had any luck with the front-lit Kindles or Kobos. I think it's an issue with my eyes. The only front-lit eReader that works for me is the Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:11 PM   #45
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
My guess is that the Paperwhite and Voyage merge into one device. It will be more like the Voyage in design (i.e. thinner, flush screen, etc) but it will drop "pagepress" to keep the cost closer to the paperwhite.

So they will have the low end, middle end, high end Kindles.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote