Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-12-2017, 01:23 PM   #166
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I have only the one line, and I pay a dirt-cheap rate--$25 every three months. Calls are 10 cents/minute; texts are 20 cents apiece. Unused account balance keeps rolling over. Obviously, I don't call or text much! I don't have a data plan; I use wifi.
I typically only use data when we are out and about. Not at home. So I do need the data since wifi is not ubiquitous out here. That isn't bad.
Hubby's Net10 plan is $100 for 1500 minutes every 180 days. Calls are minutes and texts are half a minute each. Ok with fees and stuff $111 total. He tends to make 2 8 second phone calls a day.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:28 PM   #167
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
There was a 2g network, but AT&T stopped supporting it at the end of last year and it was dino tech by that time.
Unfortunately, there are still large areas of rural Britain where GPRS (i.e. "2G") is all you get. Heck, in rural areas there's very often no mobile phone signal at all, particularly in the National Parks, where there are severe restrictions on putting up phone masts.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:56 PM   #168
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
I have only the one line, and I pay a dirt-cheap rate--$25 every three months. Calls are 10 cents/minute; texts are 20 cents apiece. Unused account balance keeps rolling over. Obviously, I don't call or text much! I don't have a data plan; I use wifi.
I have the $30 plan unlimited calls/text no data. Now they have a new plan $35 a month with it is 1GB of data.

Hubby pays $45 for his plan. He gets unlimited calls/text and 8GB of data through a different carrier.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #169
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I typically only use data when we are out and about. Not at home. So I do need the data since wifi is not ubiquitous out here. That isn't bad.
Hubby's Net10 plan is $100 for 1500 minutes every 180 days. Calls are minutes and texts are half a minute each. Ok with fees and stuff $111 total. He tends to make 2 8 second phone calls a day.
Your husband's plan works out to twice as much as I'm paying; he's getting a lot more minutes and texts, though, but I don't use what I get now.

AT&T's cheapest prepaid plan including data would be about four times what I'm paying now. It doesn't seem worth it when I can use wifi almost anywhere I need to. That plan would also give me unlimited calls and texts, I think, but I don't need them.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:22 PM   #170
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Your husband's plan works out to twice as much as I'm paying; he's getting a lot more minutes and texts, though, but I don't use what I get now.

AT&T's cheapest prepaid plan including data would be about four times what I'm paying now. It doesn't seem worth it when I can use wifi almost anywhere I need to. That plan would also give me unlimited calls and texts, I think, but I don't need them.
We recently canceled long distance on our landline. So now the cell gets used more. The only one that protested was my mother. She still has unlimited long distance on her landline so she gets to call me.
The kids all call or text my cell phone.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:46 PM   #171
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Update: I canceled the return, and asked Amazon instead to replace the 16gb with the 32gb version I ordered. When it arrives, I will go back to AT&T, buy the nano SIM they insist will not work, and see what happens. If it truly doesn't work, I will switch to another carrier--even though I lose the hefty rollover amount in my AT&T account. It's a prepaid plan and I only buy the minimum amount to keep the phone activated, which is still way more time than I need.

There are a few more reviews at Amazon now. A couple others are complaining that they could not activate the phone on Sprint or Verizon; there is one from a person who did activate it on AT&T, however, so I'm thinking AT&T is giving me a line of bull because my phone wasn't purchased through them.

Thank you for all input and for giving me the opportunity to vent.
There are two versions of this phone - one for the US and one for everywhere else. What does the box say it is?
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:07 PM   #172
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
There's nothing at Amazon or on the box to indicate that it's not a U.S. model; in fact, this is one of the phones that Amazon offers with its lockscreen and ads (though I went for the standard version).

From what I read about the phone before it was released in the U.S., the international version is dual SIM.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:48 PM   #173
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There's nothing at Amazon or on the box to indicate that it's not a U.S. model; in fact, this is one of the phones that Amazon offers with its lockscreen and ads (though I went for the standard version).

From what I read about the phone before it was released in the U.S., the international version is dual SIM.
I got a moto g4 plus a few months ago and my box doesn't have anything either. It does have the model number so you could Google it and see if it's the right one. Mine has MOT XT1644 above the bar code on the side and XT1644 is the model number.

I just got a Oneplus 5 and have to get a sim card because it's a different size. Hubby is going to the AT&T store, but he will just ask for a new one and see if they charge for it. When he got his Huawei P9 they didn't charge him, but it took two weeks before he got LTE. I can't wait that long. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:03 PM   #174
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Hubby just got home and he wasn't charged. The guy at first said he would but then didn't. It would have been $5.

Edit: I got LTE+. Speed test was 66 Mbps down and 14 up!

Last edited by Purple Lady; 08-13-2017 at 02:51 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:20 PM   #175
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
If you are looking at phones from Amazon or other online dealers, check out http://www.gsmarena.com/

If you check the model number of the phone, the expanded technology will give you the specified bands of the phone, which you can then match to your carrier.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:47 PM   #176
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Hubby just got home and he wasn't charged. The guy at first said he would but then didn't. It would have been $5.

Edit: I got LTE+. Speed test was 66 Mbps up and 14 down!
I have never known AT&T to charge for setting up a phone for an existing customer. I've change Sims several times never a charge.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:47 PM   #177
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I have never known AT&T to charge for setting up a phone for an existing customer. I've change Sims several times never a charge.

Sent from my XT1528
They changed their policy a few years ago, but I've never been charged either.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:23 PM   #178
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Quote:
They changed their policy a few years ago, but I've never been charged either.
They will charge if you order a SIM card online, but if you take it into an AT&T store they don't charge. At least that's been my experience.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:11 AM   #179
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Edit: I got LTE+. Speed test was 66 Mbps up and 14 down!
Are you sure you don't have that back to front? I've never encountered an Internet service whose upload speed is faster than the download speed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:50 AM   #180
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are you sure you don't have that back to front? I've never encountered an Internet service whose upload speed is faster than the download speed.
I'm dyslexic, what do you want.