Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-22-2015, 01:00 PM   #46
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Hmnn. So, it's basically a Kobo Glo HD with water/dust proofing and a capacitive screen.
I don't think so. The software (firmware?) is quite a bit different. Unless things have changed with this version of Nook, you can't use Calibre to create and maintain collections. That's one of the things I love best about the Kobo.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:01 PM   #47
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Hmnn. So, it's basically a Kobo Glo HD with water/dust proofing and a capacitive screen. ...
Or to put it another way, they are basically completely different, other than sharing the same screen (and EPub engine)?

I'm assuming the lighting system is different?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:47 AM   #48
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Any idea about the engine? RMSDK?
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:00 PM   #49
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I went to a B&N to look at the nook plus in person. Had my paper white 2 with me.

Aesthetically, it looked quite nice. Alas, it is terrible for me to hold. The aluminum(?) back is very slippery. Worse: the metal on the side protrudes slightly above the front bezel, creating a sharp edge all around. I couldn't use this thing without some sort of back cover. (Maybe that's their plan!) The old glow light on the next table looked a bit toy like by comparison, but it was much nicer to hold.

The screen is flush with the bezel, albeit not seamlessly. The bezel is a different material and has a cross hatch texture. This is good, bad, or indifferent depending on your pov. Going by memory, the flush screen on the voyage is nicer but of course it's in a different price category.

I turned the lights up on the nook and my PW until they glowed and turned them back down so they stopped glowing. Both screens' background looked very similar. I didn't see any obvious uniformity problem, given the fluorescent light in the store.

The increased resolution over my PW was noticeable and looked quite nice. Georgia and even a couple of sans serif fonts looked very useable to me (I don't like any of the kindle fonts and always load my own.) Thankfully, you can change to minimal left right margins. I don't know why they use huge margins in their ads so the reader looks like 3/5 bezel and blank space. Found no way to turn off the header/footer so lots of wasted space on top and bottom. Aesthetically, it looks nice, I guess. Functionally, I prefer more actual book text.

It has the same font stepping problem as the kindle, where there is a single size change that goes from a bit too small to way too big. What's especially stupid is it does not have eight laid out choices like the kindle but +/- buttons, so in theory they could have had every size from 6 to 60, but no they can't have people tapping too many times so instead they fixed it to eight sizes or whatever. They could've used a slider but I guess that was too much trouble. Sigh. It's a fine line between simple and stupid. Maybe there are work arounds.

Speed looks fine. Menu, page turns, etc are all very responsive.

Unfortunately, it is very noticeable the "ink" on the nook is not as dark as the pw2. It is tricky to say for sure because the lower resolution on the pw2 and my custom fonts make everything look bolder and perhaps as a result darker, but after looking very carefully and comparing not just the text but things like lines in the menu and the scrubber, I think the pw2 sites have darker blacks. For me, contrast is the most important attribute in a display and I'll take contrast over a bump in resolution, provided the resolution isn't terrible to begin with, which the pw2's is not.

(Wish I'd had a camera.)

I think it's a solid product by B&N but it is not for me.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:05 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
Any idea about the engine? RMSDK?
Yes, some version RMDSK.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:07 PM   #51
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
Does anyone have a teardown of it? I'd love to know if you would be able to increase the storage like you could with a Kobo Mini. Also, if it's running a flavour of KitKat, it might be hackable like the NST...
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:30 PM   #52
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
It has the same font stepping problem as the kindle, where there is a single size change that goes from a bit too small to way too big. What's especially stupid is it does not have eight laid out choices like the kindle but +/- buttons, so in theory they could have had every size from 6 to 60, but no they can't have people tapping too many times so instead they fixed it to eight sizes or whatever. They could've used a slider but I guess that was too much trouble. Sigh. It's a fine line between simple and stupid. Maybe there are work arounds.
Do you use the Kindle FONT_RAMP workaround (it allows you to redefine the font sizes)?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:36 PM   #53
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Do you use the Kindle FONT_RAMP workaround (it allows you to redefine the font sizes)?
I edited the jars. That was before the font ramp hack was known
Old 10-23-2015, 07:13 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
But you do realize that this doesn't work with KFX eBooks. So you are back to the original too small/too large problem with KFX.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:46 PM   #55
Barty
doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But you do realize that this doesn't work with KFX eBooks. So you are back to the original too small/too large problem with KFX.
I haven't updated my firmware in over a year. KFX is alien to me.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:25 PM   #56
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Found no way to turn off the header/footer so lots of wasted space on top and bottom.
Yeah, I took a look today and that really bothered me. As one who prefers a bigger screen, the unnecessary "always on" header/footer is a turn off. I find it annoying on my Kindle DX, but given the size, I'll gladly accept it. For me, the B&N footer is distracting, and it's the same in their Android/iOS apps.

Last edited by SCION; 10-23-2015 at 11:29 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:44 PM   #57
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyrixx View Post
Does anyone have a teardown of it? I'd love to know if you would be able to increase the storage like you could with a Kobo Mini. Also, if it's running a flavour of KitKat, it might be hackable like the NST...
Yes. There's no internal card slot that I can see:
http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/1...s-been-hacked/
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 03:40 PM   #58
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I just picked up a PW3 during the sale and thought I might be returning it with this device coming out. I loved my original Nook and thought this might bring me back. Tried one in store today and it was a total disappointment. Metal is very uncomfortable to hold at the edges and the bumpy front looks very cheap. Screen is not on par with the PW3 as the fonts seem lighter and the device is slower than the kindle when navigating. Nook glow plus was a pass for me.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:03 PM   #59
hardcastle
Zealot
hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Gray Kindle Basic
I gave the device a try in a Barnes today. The screen was very attractive and the build quality was excellent.

I wasn't such a big fan of the texture on the front of the device though, it drew too much attention to the space surrounding the screen, and the metal on the back was an odd pick. Maybe going for an iPad style? Not my cup of tea, given that I use my iPad in a case.
hardcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:11 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcastle View Post
I gave the device a try in a Barnes today. The screen was very attractive and the build quality was excellent.

I wasn't such a big fan of the texture on the front of the device though, it drew too much attention to the space surrounding the screen, and the metal on the back was an odd pick. Maybe going for an iPad style? Not my cup of tea, given that I use my iPad in a case.
The metal isn't all that much of an issue because with a cover, you won't be feeling the back.