Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-14-2014, 09:50 AM   #1
Dave329
Connoisseur
Dave329 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Exclamation Kobo Glo vs $79 New Kindle Touch 2014

The Kobo Glo is available at around same price as the Kindle and I am confused which one to buy.
I only care about the screen quality, contrast etc. Nothing else.
I dont care about extra features or format support or dictionary or anything else.

Now from all the youtube videos and research I have done I have gathered

Kobo Glo

Pro:
1.Higher resolution 212 ppi
2.It has frontlight

Cons:
1.It has low contrast and text look fuzzy
2.It is 2 years old now and will only get older
3.The minimum brightness is too high

Kindle Touch

Pro:
1.It is a new model
2.It has higher contrast
3.The background looks whiter

Cons
1.No front light
2.Low resolution 167 ppi

If I buy the kindle I have to use it in the night with a table lamp.I have no problem with that as long as it not decrease readability.

Will there be glare if I read it with table lam?Will the font decrease?

Should I buy the Kobo Glo?It has frontlight but it is old and every review and video says contrast is less than Kindle.
Also the minimum brightness is too high.

So which one should I buy?

Dave329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I would spend about $30 more dollars and buy the Kindle Paperwhite 2.

This is just my opinion, of course.

Check out ALL the opinions from members who will respond to your post.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
Dave329
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I would spend about $30 more dollars and buy the Kindle Paperwhite 2.

This is just my opinion, of course.

Check out ALL the opinions from members who will respond to your post.

Cant afford that....Its either the Kobo Glo or The Kindle Touch....No other choice
Old 11-14-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
The Kobo Glo is a great device. With the light on, the contrast improves immensely. I could not go back to a non-lit reader now. I don't understand the "minimum brightness is too high" comment at all. Are you able to see either of these devices in real life before deciding?
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #5
Dave329
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
The Kobo Glo is a great device. With the light on, the contrast improves immensely. I could not go back to a non-lit reader now. I don't understand the "minimum brightness is too high" comment at all. Are you able to see either of these devices in real life before deciding?
no , I have read about it in this very forum.....also what about low contrast and fuzzy text as is mentioned in the reviews?
Old 11-14-2014, 10:20 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave329 View Post
no , I have read about it in this very forum.....also what about low contrast and fuzzy text as is mentioned in the reviews?

It's a fine ebook reader [Kobo Glo], but it's a bit long in the tooth.

I now much prefer my other units.

Good luck on your choice.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:23 AM   #7
Dave329
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
It's a fine ebook reader [Kobo Glo], but it's a bit long in the tooth.

I now much prefer my other units.

Good luck on your choice.
HIgher contrast screen or frontlit screen?Which is more important?

please helpme decide
Old 11-14-2014, 10:41 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

please helpme decide

For me personally, I must have a frontlit device.

I don't find the Kobo to be that 'fuzzy' or blurry - it's just not as sharp as my Kindle Paperwhite2 or my Kobo Aura HD. But then, they cost a bit more money.

Of course, it can't compete with the newer ebook readers out there that now have better resolution.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:48 AM   #9
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
I have no experience with those two e-readers, but wanted to point out that the Kindle Basic is $49 all week Nov. 23-28 at Staples in the U.S.

Also, can't you turn off the Glo's light (there's a light on/off button)? And because you say price is a factor whereby the Kindle Paperwhite 2 is too costly, you seemingly are buying a used Glo (it's $130 new from Kobo). So you might want to look at this thread says that a newer Glo has warmer light levels, and also gives a hack for inverting the text and background (white text, black background).
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:59 AM   #10
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:

please helpme decide
If they are the same price, I think the Glo is a better deal than a non-lit Kindle. You can always turn the Glo light off. You can always make the font darker/bolder using the Advanced Font settings.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, the Kobo Glo's light can be turned off.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #12
Dave329
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
I have no experience with those two e-readers, but wanted to point out that the Kindle Basic is $49 all week Nov. 23-28 at Staples in the U.S.

Also, can't you turn off the Glo's light (there's a light on/off button)? And because you say price is a factor whereby the Kindle Paperwhite 2 is too costly, you seemingly are buying a used Glo (it's $130 new from Kobo). So you might want to look at this thread says that a newer Glo has warmer light levels, and also gives a hack for inverting the text and background (white text, black background).
In my country the Kindle Paperwhite costs around 200USD

It is a new Kobo being sold at discount in ebay.The Kobo glow actually costs much more than the Kindle Basic here.

Staples is not present here.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:01 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

I think (?) Kobo was (is?) running a special price on the Kobo Glo.

Just can't remember.....sorry.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:04 PM   #14
Dave329
Connoisseur

The listing says KOBO Glo Black - SKU 180214.Is there anyway to now if this is the newer glo with warmer lights or the old glo?
Old 11-14-2014, 09:52 PM   #15
Joeldmtl
Connoisseur
Joeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Touch
I don't know where you live, but I believe Kobo was selling refurbished Kobo Touches and Glos here in Canada for $50 and $80 respectively. Also Xmas is just around the corner, there may be some good sales then.

My wife and I love our Kobo Touches (Although I have had some problems with mine, and needed to get a replacement). If I were buying a new ereader, I definitely would get one with a light.

Right now we are using clip on lights we bought at Costco with rechargeable batteries. They seem to do the job fairly well. But then again you have to buy the light (and be lucky you find a good one. I've had some that are too weak.), buy rechargeable batteries and a charger - so economically that's probably not advantageous.

Last thing, although I love reading on an ereader, I don't think reading on an ereader is cheaper than reading paperback books. If cost is an issue, then maybe you should consider paperback books. Especially given that you can get them second hand.

Last edited by Joeldmtl; 11-14-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Joeldmtl is offline   Reply With Quote