Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-14-2014, 11:44 AM   #91
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I can't quite tell if you're being facetious throughout this thread. You do realize you're stating the facts exactly backwards, right?
(I see the winky, but I'm not certain if it applies to the whole message or just the real estate suggestion....)
I'm not being facetious and the winky applies just to the real estate bit.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:20 PM   #92
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWright View Post
many good words, plus . . . I don't think copyright is intended to support "capitalism" or protect a creator's "property" rights. Copyright is an incentive to contribute to the creativity and innovation of society. The incentive is a limited period of control and exclusivity. The limited period should not be made unlimited and the incentive (in terms of copyright length) should not outweigh the benefit to the community that it is intended to promote.

Just my 2 cents.
The voice of reason. Worth much more than two cents, in my opinion.

rjb
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #93
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
And here I thought you were introducing us to a new kind of paper that was able to argue reasonably -- perhaps with the very words one happened to be writing on its zesty ivory epidermis. How disappointing!
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #94
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Monkey selfies - copyright free

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:57 AM   #95
TuxGirl
Groupie
TuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the husk

Device: kindle
I came up with an idea a while back that I'm pretty fond of for copyright law. The initial copyright term is short -- 20 years or so. Then, it may be renewed every 5 years for a $100 fee each time indefinitely. This would be combined with a publicly searchable database where you could learn the copyright status of any work.

This has the advantage of protecting the interests of Disney (no more mickey mouse laws) while releasing orphan works to the public domain quickly.

There could be a provision saying that if the creator lives outside the US, the initial copyright term would extend to the initial copyright term in the creator's home country.
TuxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:04 PM   #96
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Given how widespread the Berne convention is, I don't see any prospect of reducing copyright below the minimum specified in that convention, of lifetime+50 years.

But just now I'd be delighted if we could get it back to that length!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
copyright, copyright reform