do I explain right?
I hope yes
thank you for any answer
kaboukoe
kaboukoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:00 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
By default that is how Calibre sort names. Since it does not, I assume that you have a case of bad metadata.

For the sort to function you have to make sure that the names are correct. When you add books the names often gets wrong, because the data in the book is badly formed, or you didn't do the import correctly. You can add books in many different ways, and unless you are careful the metadata will be wrong and have to be fixed.

Edit metadata for each book and make sure that the field for authors has the form first name last name (FN LN) like this:

Authors: Jane Austen

And make sure that the field for sorting, author_sort has the form LN, FN like this:

Author sort: Austen, Jane

In the Quality Check plugin there is a tool that allows you to quickly fix a lok of books that by mistake have authors in the form LN, FN.

By default Calibre displays authors (FN LN) but sorts using author_sort (LN, FN), just like a real library.

When you add books or change metadata you should always verify that both authors and author_sort are correct. Then the sort will work fine.

You can also search for "," in the authors field to find books that likely have bad metadata. Multiple authors should be separated with an ampersand (&).

It is boring to fix bad metadata, but it doesn't fix itself... Calibre still isn't smart enough to automatically fix bad metadata. A lot of the functions in Calibre are there to make it easier to get the metadata right, but you have to use them.

More information here:
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....es-and-sorting

Last edited by Adoby; 09-29-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It is worth pointing out that when you click on the heading of the Authors column in the Calibre GUI, the sort is actually done using the value of the author_sort column. By default the author_sort column is not shown in the GUI tabular view (the value it holds IS visible in the Edit Metadata dialogs) although it can be made visible in a column via Calibre's preferences settings.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
kaboukoe
kaboukoe began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 600
thank
Old 09-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
kaboukoe

thank you for your reply
I edit metadata for each book and it's correct:FN LN for author's field, and LN, FN for the field for sorting, author-sort.
my problem is that, by défault the column authors displays FN LN, also in my device (sony psr600) and I WANT that it displays LN, FN.
maybe it's something I must do in the "preferences" in "enregistrement des livres sur le disque en cours"
now, (I didn't change anything), by default, it's
{author_sort[0]}/{title}/{title} - {authors}
I don't know
do you think about somethinf?
thank you
kaboukoe
Advert
Old 09-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
kaboukoe

that's what is my problem I think
but, as I said
it was
{author_sort[0]}/{title}/{title} - {authors}
and I don't know what is the right setting
I'searching, I'm searching
Old 09-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Ah... Then I think I understand better.

I used to have the same problem. But by using a Metadata Plugboard I could fix it.

By using a Metadata Plugboard you can change a field to another on the fly, while you send books to your device. For example you could change {authors} to {author_sort}, and that way your device will sort correctly.

I also added information about series to the title.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skärmbild från 2012-09-29 15:13:07.png
Views:	233
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	93055  
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
kaboukoe

thank you