Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Is it theoretically possible to remove B&N DRM?

I have no intention of asking how to remove DRM, I don’t even want to do it, but I do need to protect my investment in eBooks. I read somewhere that you cannot remove the DRM on Nookbooks. Surely Barnes and Noble will never go out of business but I’m thinking that maybe I’d better start buying my eBooks from one of the many sources of ePub books that use the more common Adept DRM and not risk my investment by using a single-source provider.

I like B&N and love my Nooks and I don’t want to change bookstores so I’m asking if anyone knows if it’s at least theoretically possible to remove Barnes and Noble’s DRM should an emergency arise?
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
I have no intention of asking how to remove DRM, I don’t even want to do it, but I do need to protect my investment in eBooks. I read somewhere that you cannot remove the DRM on Nookbooks. Surely Barnes and Noble will never go out of business but I’m thinking that maybe I’d better start buying my eBooks from one of the many sources of ePub books that use the more common Adept DRM and not risk my investment by using a single-source provider.

I like B&N and love my Nooks and I don’t want to change bookstores so I’m asking if anyone knows if it’s at least theoretically possible to remove Barnes and Noble’s DRM should an emergency arise?
It isn't just theoretically possible. It is actually, factually possible. And quite easy I might add.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for a quick reply.

I recently tried to load a Nookbook into Adobe Digital Editions and ADE refused to accept it. I previously thought that Adobe supported both Adept and B&N DRM so it was a nasty surprise to discover I have to maintain two separate libraries (I have about 200 books I bought over the last five years for my Sony PRS and Pocket Pro readers).

I hope I never have to resort to this solution--like I said I like Barnes and Noble but this DRM problem is irritating.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
Thank you for a quick reply.

I recently tried to load a Nookbook into Adobe Digital Editions and ADE refused to accept it. I previously thought that Adobe supported both Adept and B&N DRM so it was a nasty surprise to discover I have to maintain two separate libraries (I have about 200 books I bought over the last five years for my Sony PRS and Pocket Pro readers).

I hope I never have to resort to this solution--like I said I like Barnes and Noble but this DRM problem is irritating.
nookbooks are supported by the current ADE 1.8 preview edition. Go to Adobe's website to download it. It can live happily side-by-side with ADE 1.7.2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
6charlong
friendly lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
nookbooks are supported by the current ADE 1.8 preview edition. Go to Adobe's website to download it. It can live happily side-by-side with ADE 1.7.2.
Thank you Jon. That's a great tip. It works great. I don't know where Nook for Mac is putting my Nookbooks but I can download them again and load them into this ADE 1.8 from Chrome.

You solved my problem.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
As mentioned, it is easy to remove. It is based on Adobe eDRM to the best of my knowledge (based on, but not the same).

Do you use Calibre? It won't remove DRM on its own, but a google search will turn up how to do it.

I am in the same boat, sort of. Except for me it is primarily that I want to be able to buy ebooks from the cheapest source and get them to run on my nook (I give my business to BN if they have the same price or at least are pretty close). That and I don't want to be tied in to an ecosystem should I decide my next ereader is a kindle, or a kobo, or a (insert name or reader/ecosystem here).

So the ability to make both format (Calibre is pretty good at converting formats, AZW/Mobi to ePub and vice versa or even PDF to ePub) and DRM irrelevant is important to me.

Last edited by azazel1024; 01-19-2012 at 10:34 AM.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I occasionally buy Kindle books from Amazon and then put them on my Nook. You can do it pretty easily with the easy techniques mentioned. Amazon gets their money and I get to read their book.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Google apprentice alf
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
B&N DRM encrypts the eBook using a hash of the credit card number that was used to purchase the book. The plus with the way B&N does it, is that it never needs to check into a central server to make sure you have the right to read your book. The nook has a hash of your credit card on it and just uses that to decrypt the book (a hash, not the actual credit card number).

There is a tool that will do it. There is a 2 step process. You have to enter you credit card number into a piece of software to generate the hash, and then use that hash to decrypt the book. You have to ask yourself if you're willing to enter your credit card number into a piece of software you know nothing about.

If your curious, a Google search of the words Apprentice Alf will tell you all you need to know.

Last edited by apastuszak; 02-01-2012 at 10:08 PM.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:08 AM   #10
firefox
MR Gen Z Representative
firefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enough

Device: Barnes & Noble NOOKclassic
But it's all in python, so if you were so intended to, you could just read through it and see if its even making a network connection. Just text.
firefox is offline   Reply With Quote