Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 12-15-2011, 12:42 AM   #1
AlienKarl
AlienKarl began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Failed pocket Edge

Hi
Was using my pocket edge (rooted with Froyo) and went to transfer some books to it using a USB drive (used it with the device for over six months) as soon as I plugged the usb drive into the edge the screen went black but the eink side stayed on. I removed the usb drive and tried to reboot using the slide on/off switch but all that did was blank out the eink side to white. Tried to reset and that had no effect. The slide on/off switch turns the green light on and off but that is all. Did the usb drive 'short' something out? Any suggestions? Right now I am leaving the green light on in hopes the battery goes dead - might 'reset' it - but that seems unlikely to work. Is there any suggestion or has anyone experienced this and fixed it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
AlienKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
have you plugged the usb the wrong side (happen to me on a pc with the slimmer type of usb stick) and rebooted my pc. could have burnt the edge.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
AlienKarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
have you plugged the usb the wrong side (happen to me on a pc with the slimmer type of usb stick) and rebooted my pc. could have burnt the edge.
I see no evidence that the usb stick was damaged. It still works with my pc. The only thing is that it is a sandisk cruzer edge that slides open and sometimes the slide slips and the usb part does not go in correctly. Either way the damage is done - I am wondering if there is a solution. When my phone does this from time to time I just remove the battery and leave it for a while and then put the battery back in and it works (galaxy s froyo) but there is no way to remove the battery from the Pocket Edge - i assume the reset button would do the same thing as removing the battery - so not sure what else I can do? Any suggestions?
Old 12-16-2011, 12:41 AM   #4
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Try putting your PE in the freezer for a short while (I've never tried this, but Sarah suggested cold as a solution long ago). No luck with running the battery down?

There might be other suggestions in old threads. Not sure the best way to search for them.

Good luck!!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:08 AM   #5
AlienKarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Try putting your PE in the freezer for a short while (I've never tried this, but Sarah suggested cold as a solution long ago). No luck with running the battery down?

There might be other suggestions in old threads. Not sure the best way to search for them.

Good luck!!
I think I might try this. As I said the green light is on so there must be a draw on the battery - cold may cause it to lose power faster. I am a bit concerned about moisture - but since it is not working anyway I might as well give it a shot. Will post the results. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:28 AM   #6
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienKarl View Post
...- cold may cause it to lose power faster. I am a bit concerned about moisture - but since it is not working anyway I might as well give it a shot.
If using the freezer/refrigerator put the PE into a large ziplock bag. After taking out of the cold leave the PE in the bag so that the condensation collects in the bag not the PE. I would stand the PE up on the long end so if there was any condensation would drain to the bottom. This is an old trick used many years ago when camcorder batteries would develop a memory and not hold a charge.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
AlienKarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
If using the freezer/refrigerator put the PE into a large ziplock bag. After taking out of the cold leave the PE in the bag so that the condensation collects in the bag not the PE. I would stand the PE up on the long end so if there was any condensation would drain to the bottom. This is an old trick used many years ago when camcorder batteries would develop a memory and not hold a charge.
Thanks for the tip. Tried it last night. Decided to let the PE wait until after work today to see if it helps. The green light went to red before going into the freezer and when it came out there was no light at all. So my guess is that the battery is discharged. So will try tonight and see what happens. Thanks again.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:37 AM   #8
AlienKarl

Ok. Got the battery to die. Left for a day or so and then tried to reboot. Failed. Any other suggestions. Green light does come on but that is all. Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:48 AM   #9
Filark
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You've fully recharged?

I wish I could help . . .

Do you want to try reflashing it? I can't see how that would work, but you never know . . . . If it's not totally fried, something needs to jiggle its brain loose again.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:59 AM   #10
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienKarl View Post
Ok. Got the battery to die. Left for a day or so and then tried to reboot. Failed. Any other suggestions. Green light does come on but that is all. Any help is appreciated.
The only suggestion I have is to open it up and have a look for any damage on the circuit boards.

Your problem could be as simple as a dry joint on a component. Looking for such things does require some experience though.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:12 AM   #11
AlienKarl

Quote:
You've fully recharged?

I wish I could help . . .

Do you want to try reflashing it? I can't see how that would work, but you never know . . . . If it's not totally fried, something needs to jiggle its brain loose again.
Thanks - yes maybe I should try to reflash it - it is fully charged again and the green light is on but there is nothing. If reflashing does not help then I will open it up - have a bit of knowledge - I guess if there is a big scorch mark inside I can figure that out Any link to how to reflash? I know I have read a number of places on how to do it but is there a clear up to date link on it? Thanks for all your suggestions.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:44 AM   #12
Filark

Check out post #11, by mtambo, in the following thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=162905. I haven't done the update myself, but these instructions seem clear and to the point. Also up-to-date!

Thank you mtambo!

That's for reflashing with the latest and greatest, but it might be a good idea, since you have a bit of knowledge, to try Ivan's suggestion first and check for any obvious damage.

Good luck! Let us know!
Old 01-06-2012, 12:50 AM   #13
AlienKarl

Quote:
Check out post #11, by mtambo, in the following thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=162905. I haven't done the update myself, but these instructions seem clear and to the point. Also up-to-date!

Thank you mtambo!

That's for reflashing with the latest and greatest, but it might be a good idea, since you have a bit of knowledge, to try Ivan's suggestion first and check for any obvious damage.

Good luck! Let us know!
Thanks for the link - very helpful. Been busy with the holidays but will try to reflash on Saturday. Thanks for your link and everyones suggestions. I will let you know how the reflash goes.