Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-26-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Better Quality Control for the Vox?

I saw in another post by Taming that the Vox is being manufactured by Wistron--which used to be part of Acer. So...it got me thinking: what exactly is Kobo's role in the production of the Vox if they are manufactured by Wistron? Do they simply load the software and test them and package them? Or do they do any of the assembly/build part of production?

Anyone think we may see better quality control from Kobo for the Vox (vs. what we've seen from the Kobo original/Wi Fi/KT)? I don't feel as nervous buying the first generation of the Vox since the tablet world is really quite established. I am expecting problems with screens to be less frequent/non-existent, too - since we're not dealing with e-ink anymore. I have a feeling there may be disappointments in processing speed and with the Android OS and apps (and maybe small glitches that may need to be fixed), but not as many severe and frequent issues that have come up for hardware as there have been for the other Kobo products.

All of the issues I've had with my Kobo WiFi have been related to the firmware upgrades and desktop app...and somehow I am thinking we'll see less of these for the Vox.

What do you think?
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Amazon is not making its tablet. Nor is B&N. Heck, Apple doesn't make the iPAD either. All of them are involved in decisions regarding design and features. I am sure that is true for Kobo and the Vox as well.

I mentioned Wistron because they have a good reputation in terms of hardware build. Android 2.3 is Android 2.3. The Kobo part of it all has to do with how they build out the App that will run on the tablet. From what I hear, they have a great team working on that. Kobo is not forking or adding a custom UI to the tablet. That should be a good thing.

What we don't know is if the app that runs on the Vox will be more fully featured than other Android Apps.

Last edited by taming; 10-26-2011 at 03:57 PM. Reason: more information
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #3
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Vox quality of hardware and bug free Android installation is important. Bugs in e-reader application is easily solved by changing to another of many available free apps. This gives Kobo, Kindle and everyone else big incentive to have great apps.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Despite the fact that the iOS APP has had sync problems since about the time Apple started making it difficult for other reading apps, it has always gotten rave reviews in their APP store. I know that the people who have had a chance to demo the Vox are loving the 1.0 app so far.

Of course 1.0 is, well, 1.0.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote