Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-30-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
aan
aan began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Question Trying to convert an amazon ebook

Hey all,

I posted something similar to this in the "general" forum, but thought this might be a better target audience. I just got a new (refurbished) nook from the buy.com deal and the #1 book I want to read right now is NOT available anywhere (that I can find) as a nook book or in the epub format.

I DID however find it on amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Stone-Tears-Sw...1458803&sr=8-1

My question to you all is this:

Can I download this "kindle" book and convert it, using calibre, to a format my nook will display? If so, will it work just like I had gotten it from Nookbooks, i.e. will there be any glitches/errors in the file?

Sorry if these are n00b questions, but the various different file types are a bit confusing to me at first, I wish all ebooks used the same format...oh well.

Thanks for the help!
aan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:48 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Most Kindle ebooks have DRM (are encrypted) and this one is no exception.

You can buy the Kindle ebook by first registering a Kindle desktop app (K4PC or K4MAC). Calibre can only convert the format (MOBI to ePub) of DRM-free ebooks, but it does this very well. There is a 3rd party plugin to Calibre that can strip the DRM from Kindle ebooks (e.g. from K4PC or K4MAC). See Apprentice Alf's Blog for everything you might want to know about DRM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
yep

Wallcraft is correct.

It is very frustrating when ebooks are only available through Amazon and you do not have have a kindle.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
mathia
mathia began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
If you'll email me, I have a converted copy.
mathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:57 PM   #5
mariel9898
Connoisseur
mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Color, Droid 2 Global
You can root your NC and put the Kindle app on it.
mariel9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
If you have an android or I-phone, you can install the Kindle Ap and read Kindle books very nicely from your phone device. I guess the last choice is reading from a pc or laptop. I just went through a similar situation, where I wanted to read my Kindle books at night on a backlit screen and rooted my Nook Color. It seems to give me the best of both worlds and I love both Amazon and Barnes and Noble.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote