Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 02-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #31
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Thanks for your response Sarah. I will make sure to measure the metal tip. It does feel a bit small, I will defenetly check it out. I ordered the Edge from Amazon, maybe they had the old models in stock with the old tip when I ordered.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:41 PM   #32
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Interesting... I guess it's entirely possible Amazon has some older units. I hope that's your problem, because it's a quick and easy fix!
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:51 AM   #33
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I'd like to see those pictures, Thinkpadx!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:08 AM   #34
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll try to post a picture today. For the human eye It doesn't seem like I've got the narrow tip, but it still feels a bit wiggly when connected.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:47 AM   #35
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
I'll try to post a picture today. For the human eye It doesn't seem like I've got the narrow tip, but it still feels a bit wiggly when connected.
Just to clarify, if it's the problem with having the wrong tip, it's not that the tip would be too narrow/wide; it's that the tip would be too short to make a full connection. But it's still long enough to connect somewhat; it doesn't simply fall completely out of the hole. I think this is why people were experiencing different symptoms (you had to wiggle to get the connection just right for it to charge, you would think it was charging but then it just randomly would stop charging, it just might never make that perfect connection to charge, etc.)

So if you're going to measure, measure the length of the metal part of the tip. That's how I knew for sure that I had that problem. It was clearly 7.5mm instead of 9mm.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:18 AM   #36
thinkpad
David

Ok, that clarifies things, thanks Sarah. I'll make sure to measure the right way
Old 02-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #37
thinkpad
David

Here's the pictures, it's definitely 9 mm

Click image for larger version

Name:	edge_power_supply_tip1.gif
Views:	263
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	67380

Click image for larger version

Name:	edge_power_supply_tip2.gif
Views:	325
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	67381

On a side note I measured the power supply with my Lenovo 65W power supply and the one from Entourage is actually bigger
Why did they have to make it so big. I have enough gadgets and cords in my bag-pack already.

I will not be keeping the device. I've bought a tablet-pc and there's just too many devices to carry around. I will miss the e-ink screen and the benefit of having everything integrated and in one place, but I will not miss the sluggishness. Hopefully it will be able to perform better when the 2.2 update arrives later this year.

Last edited by thinkpad; 02-26-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:40 PM   #38
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast

Hmm... not sure what your problem would have been then. With a tablet PC, then certainly the edge is redundant for most tasks. I've found it to be a good compromise though, since I did not want to spend for a full tablet PC (mostly just wanted Journal and annotation capabilities, and would rather not use Windows).

For me, an all-in-one device, even if less sleek and responsive, is more appealing as my needs are pretty minimal and I really can do everything I need with just one device. When I was between macbooks, I even used the edge as my only computer for about 6 weeks and was surprisingly able to function at around 85-90% capacity.

Which tablet PC did you go for? When I was working, I used them exclusively. In retirement, I couldn't really justify them, so I haven't really kept up with the latest offerings.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:54 PM   #39
thinkpad
David

I went for an older model with a 4:3 ratio screen, bought from eBay: Thinkpad x61t. I don't like the new widescreen versions. I've installed windows 7 and an SSD disk on it and it runs surprisingly smooth.

The handwriting recognition in Windows 7 is amazing and usually spot on. For my PDFs I'm using PDF Annotator which works really well but it will set you back $70.

The tablet will replace my current work laptop.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #40
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast

Yes, we picked up an old Motion Computing slate (M1400 I think?) for a few hundred bucks on ebay 18 months ago and put windows 7 on it. XP was never bad for handwriting, but Windows 7 is quite impressive!

We use PDF Pen and PDF Clerk, and I recently found (for my Mac) an open source program called Jarnal (basically Windows Journal Note) that has versions for Mac, Windows and Linux so the files can be read/edited across platforms. I have an entire directory of notes on my Mac that I can't view/convert to pdf unless I run Parallels with Windows Note Journal Viewer. I wish I'd known about this open option at the time.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #41
thinkpad
David

I've looked at the Motion Computing slates before, nice devices but usually very expensive. A few hundred bucks sounds like a good bargain .
Old 02-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #42
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast

Yes, very nice machines. The one we got was obviously quite oooooold for so little, but some extra memory and Windows 7 and it's serviceable. Still a little slow, but hubby likes to make hand drawn slides for his presentations. Some day I have to sit down with it and pdf all my old files so I can at least see them on my mac again.

Tags
entourage edge