Notices

Old 08-12-2018, 07:23 AM   #1
wladdy
Enthusiast
wladdy began at the beginning.

Device: iPad / Kindle DX
Deducing "Author sort" and "Title sort" through CLI

Hello,

I add books to Calibre through a shell script that properly sets "Author" and "Title".
I am aware that I could also include "Author sort" and "Title sort", but that would make me write into the script rules to generate the latter from the former. I would rather avoid that. For consistency, I prefer to use always Calibre's rules.
Therefore, after the script finishes running, I bulk edit the metadata of the books I've added. No bid deal, but I would rather this step be done automatically through the command line interface.

My question is:

Is there a way to use a CLI command such as calibredb to deduce "Author sort" and "Title sort" from "Author" and "Title"?

Many thanks in advance! W.
wladdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:34 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibredb can output all metadata via the show_metadata sub-command.

calibredb show_metadata --as-opf book_id
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2020, 02:05 AM   #3
dalanicolai
dalanicolai began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux 3
CLI option to parse author_sort field from author field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibredb can output all metadata via the show_metadata sub-command.

calibredb show_metadata --as-opf book_id
Hi Kovid,

I think you misunderstood the question maybe. As you can see from the question he wanted to know if he could use Calibre's algorithm from the CLI to parse the "sort fields" from the original fields.

I think your previous answer does not show the correctly parsed sort fields, if they are not yet set.

I am replying here because I am interested in exactly this also.
Thank you!
dalanicolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:20 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

show_metadata shows all metadata including sort values. If you want to use the algorithm for values not in the databse, then you can do so via calibre-debug

Code:
calibre-debug -c "from calibre.ebooks.metadata import *; import sys; print(author_to_author_sort(' '.join(sys.argv[1:])))" Kovid Goyal
Old 08-02-2020, 06:09 PM   #5
dalanicolai

Great!

Thanks for your quick and very useful response!

If you are interested, someone wrote an 'alternative frontend' for Calibre for Emacs. If you know vim and you are on GNU/Linux or Mac then you could quickly check it out via this Spacemacs layer.
Advert
Old 08-02-2020, 11:21 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

cute I am indeed a vim user. And its actually on my TODO list to create a nice terminal interface for managing libraries as a kitten for https://github.com/kovidgoyal/kitty someday.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:48 PM   #7
dalanicolai

Haha, managing as a kitten? Well anyway, that terminal looks quite 'futuristic' and amazing.
Somewhat like an Emacs, but fast with modern technology and python.
I don't know if you know Emacs and Spacemacs. I switched from vim to Spacemacs. It implemented some very beautiful concepts, especially the leveraging of the spacebar to function as the main control key and also the which-key extension. For me Emacs was/is much more (easier) hackable than vim due to its intuitive self-documentation and amazing introspection features. Anyway, I really don't have any intention to convert you or something. For sure you know very well what you are doing (more than me). But anyway, if you never had a look at Spacemacs then quickly check it out for a few minutes or hours, just to check out the concepts I mentioned here (would be great if you could get inspired for kitty). You have a full python environment setup in 5 minutes. And then especially check out the describe features. Well, it is just a humble suggestion of course...
Old 08-03-2020, 10:57 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I used emacs fairly extensively a couple of decades ago. But I settled on vim for the modal editing (back then there was no spacemacs). And nowadays I program vim in python as well, so vimscript does not bother me as much. Though I do agree that emacs is far more programmable.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:20 AM   #9
dalanicolai

Ah well, with (neo)vim programmable in python, combined with your superterminal you have a very nice environment too. I guess indeed a little less hackable (more difficult to get into), but using more modern technologies. Well... still you could quickly have a look at Spacemacs if you like... or otherwise Spacevim although that is not yet very comparable to Spacemacs.

Anyway your calibre-debug magic now is implemented in calibre.el. Thanks again!

Tags
author sort, calibredb, cli, title sort