Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-25-2017, 05:11 PM   #1
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Books not on Kobo website but should be.

I am waiting for a new book called The Case of the Guilty Ghost, it was released on the 15th March (actually 14th on Amazon) and should have been uploaded to Kobo via Smashwords. It's still not arrived. I asked Kobo last Monday and am 'still' awaiting a reply, the author has a query out to Smashwords.

Is it normal that it takes weeks for a book to reach Kobo? I'm only hanging on as I can get it free with my points otherwise I would have bought it from Amazon by now.

I only joined the points scheme out of curiosity and I certainly won't be renewing, the whole scheme is a complete waste for me.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 05:44 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I know I've read of authors having Smashwords--->Kobo being really slow. Some have gone with Draft to Digital as an aggregator instead and been much happier with the speed. I've also heard of authors thinking their book would go to Kobo, but not having an ISBN. Kobo will not take the book without one (nor will Apple).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2017, 05:06 PM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I know I've read of authors having Smashwords--->Kobo being really slow. Some have gone with Draft to Digital as an aggregator instead and been much happier with the speed. I've also heard of authors thinking their book would go to Kobo, but not having an ISBN. Kobo will not take the book without one (nor will Apple).
Thank you, sorry I should have thanked you earlier.

I'm just so fed up with Kobo. It's now two weeks after release date and it's still not available.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:44 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Why assume it's Kobo? It could just as easily be an error on smashwords side

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:34 PM   #5
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Why assume it's Kobo? It could just as easily be an error on smashwords side

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
It could be, you are correct. The problem is Kobo won't respond to my query about the books whereabouts so I've no idea. I raised a query a week ago and was told I'd hear back in 24/48 hours. When I asked for an update today they replied saying they were cancelling my request for an update as it was a duplicate. So basically they can't be bothered to care that I want to buy a book they don't have, therefore I can only assume it's their ineptitude that's caused the book to not appear.

Everyone goes on about how bad it is that Amazon has a monopoly, yet Kobo don't give a toss.
Advert
Old 03-28-2017, 09:10 PM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Generally with this sort of problem I think it is better to contact the publisher (i.e. the author for self-published books) and let them deal with it. Even if the problem is at Kobo's end, the publisher is likely to be in a better position to get it sorted out than you are.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:52 AM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Generally with this sort of problem I think it is better to contact the publisher (i.e. the author for self-published books) and let them deal with it. Even if the problem is at Kobo's end, the publisher is likely to be in a better position to get it sorted out than you are.
I've spoken to the author, she uploads direct for her own stories but through Smashwords for co-authored books. TBH she doesn't appear to care, with the demise of Allromance she has epubs on Smashwords, everyone else buys from Amazon.

I just don't understand what's going on with Kobo. It's not just this, I've had other issues with them lately and I've just had enough. Every time I raise a query I never get a straight answer.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:49 AM   #8
BrodieKobo
Enthusiast
BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Aura One, iOS, Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I've spoken to the author, she uploads direct for her own stories but through Smashwords for co-authored books. TBH she doesn't appear to care, with the demise of Allromance she has epubs on Smashwords, everyone else buys from Amazon.

I just don't understand what's going on with Kobo. It's not just this, I've had other issues with them lately and I've just had enough. Every time I raise a query I never get a straight answer.
Hi Josieb1.

The title came in on March 28th. I'll look into why it took so long to make its way over to Kobo, something seems up there. Here's the link, can you PM me if you have any issues purchasing? It should have worldwide rights.

https://www.kobo.com/ebook/the-case-of-the-guilty-ghost

If you also don't mind letting me know how you inquired about the book I'd also like to look into why you didn't receive a response.

Thanks,

Brodie
BrodieKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:55 PM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodieKobo View Post
Hi Josieb1.

The title came in on March 28th. I'll look into why it took so long to make its way over to Kobo, something seems up there. Here's the link, can you PM me if you have any issues purchasing? It should have worldwide rights.

https://www.kobo.com/ebook/the-case-of-the-guilty-ghost

If you also don't mind letting me know how you inquired about the book I'd also like to look into why you didn't receive a response.

Thanks,

Brodie
Thank you. I haven't purchased it yet as, because it took so long to arrive, I am now waiting for another book to arrive. I have some points to use and once the other book arrives I can decide how best to use my points. If it wasn't for the points scheme i would have just bought the books from Amazon, needless to say when my year is up I won't bother to renew.

I raised the query first with the author of the Guilty Ghost, she advised me it was uploaded via Smashwords on the 14th, the same day as Amazon. I raised it with Kobo first by phone, incident number 170320-000480, on the 20th, then I requested an update by email on the 27th, the email request was closed as a duplicate, and ironically the first incident was replied to yesterday saying they would let me know when they had an update! They haven't bothered to tell me the book is now showing.

Last edited by Josieb1; 03-30-2017 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:52 PM   #10
BrodieKobo
Enthusiast
BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Aura One, iOS, Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Thank you. I haven't purchased it yet as, because it took so long to arrive, I am now waiting for another book to arrive. I have some points to use and once the other book arrives I can decide how best to use my points. If it wasn't for the points scheme i would have just bought the books from Amazon, needless to say when my year is up I won't bother to renew.

I raised the query first with the author of the Guilty Ghost, she advised me it was uploaded via Smashwords on the 14th, the same day as Amazon. I raised it with Kobo first by phone, incident number 170320-000480, on the 20th, then I requested an update by email on the 27th, the email request was closed as a duplicate, and ironically the first incident was replied to yesterday saying they would let me know when they had an update! They haven't bothered to tell me the book is now showing.
That is really disappointing you should have had a better response. I will escalate this incident to our customer care lead to investigate the breakdown in process. If you would like to pm me your account email I will have our care department credit your account for your troubles. I appreciate your time letting me know about the delay, our publishing team is investigating as that Book should have been available the same day once uploaded by smashwords.
BrodieKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:20 AM   #11
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodieKobo View Post
That is really disappointing you should have had a better response. I will escalate this incident to our customer care lead to investigate the breakdown in process. If you would like to pm me your account email I will have our care department credit your account for your troubles. I appreciate your time letting me know about the delay, our publishing team is investigating as that Book should have been available the same day once uploaded by smashwords.
Hi Brodie, I've sent you a pm. I have purchased the book now anyway and had no problems with the purchase.