Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #46
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
And I much prefer a capacitive screen - IR screens and I don't get along. It's worth having the better touch interface and putting up with (on my PW) admittedly very small color blooms. For the better touch screen, I'd put up with a much worse screen than I have.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:45 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
The one difference between the Kindle Paperwhite and all the other front-lit e-readers that is a nailed on certainty is the capacitive screen on the PW compared to the infra red screen on all the others. So it seems likely that it's not the light diffuser tech that is the issue alone, instead how the light diffuser and capacitive screen layer work together.
Very unlikely, I'd say. The capacitive touch screen is just a very thin, completely transparent, chemical layer painted on to the screen below the light diffuser. There's no physical contact between the light diffuser and the capacitive touch screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #48
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
The one difference between the Kindle Paperwhite and all the other front-lit e-readers that is a nailed on certainty is the capacitive screen on the PW compared to the infra red screen on all the others.
I just mentioned a bit higher up that front lit Bookeen Odyssey has capacitive screen with no bruising. So, no. It can be done. I did have Odyssey in my hands for a few days.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #49
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
^ Same here, I played around with a frontlit Cybook Odyssey HD for about a week before returning mine, and there was no green/pink at all no matter at what light setting.

Too bad the rest of the device was unsatisfactory.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #50
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Whether it bothers people or not, I think if the Kobo and Cybook lighted screens are demonstrably superior to the Amazon screen, then Amazon will have to play catch up. If the PW's screen is inferior because it is using a different technological approach that cannot by its nature match the performance of the Kobo and the Cybook, then Amazon will have to scrap their current approach.

In the highly competitive e-reader market, it's not about being good enough, it's about being better, or at the very least, as good as the competition. For Amazon, the market leader, this situation is unacceptable. It's interesting to see Amazon on the back foot. How will they respond? I look forward to seeing their next lighted screen model.

Last edited by Rizla; 03-12-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #51
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Whether it bothers people or not, I think if the Kobo and Cybook lighted screens are demonstrably superior to the Amazon screen, then Amazon will have to play catch up. If the PW's screen is inferior because it is using a different technological approach that cannot by its nature match the performance of the Kobo and the Cybook, then Amazon will have to scrap their current approach.

In the highly competitive e-reader market, it's not about being good enough, it's about being better, or at the very least, as good as the competition. For Amazon, the market leader, this situation is unacceptable.
I agree wholeheartedly.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #52
bokolobs
Enthusiast
bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: NST, DX, PW1, Voyage, Oasis (1 week), Kobo Aura One (1 week)
Thanks again to everyone who weighed in on the screen issue. I think I'm keeping it. I rarely notice it now while reading. I'll be ordering the Amazon branded cover one of these days.

It is unfortunate that Amazon failed to deliver the top product for this round in the eink/ereader evolution. But they continue to be the company to beat in terms of content, ecosytem, and customer service. The nearest competitor (at least for someone like me who lives outside the US) is Kobo. But as mentioned here, the reviews of their front-lit device are also not that great. So I'll keep my Paperwhite for now.

There is a feeling of deja vu here for me. I had the DXG and chose the Nook Simple Touch as my portable device over the seasoned Kindle Keyboard. The NST gave me nothing but frustrations up until two months ago when they released a firmware update which somehow fixed all my issues (except for purchasing content from their store). My girlfriend has the Kindle Keyboard and she always calls out my look of envy every time we have our ereaders out. And when it was time to update again I chose the Paperwhite over the Kobo Glo. I hope I made the right decision.
bokolobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #53
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Ok thanks for clearing that up HarryT and Chi Cygni. I wasn't aware the Bookeen Odyssey had a capacitive screen and thought everyone else had stuck with the infra red. In that case, over to you Amazon....

Although it should be pointed out that the quality of the light on the PW seems to be superior to that on the Kobo Glo (don't know enough about the Odyssey to compare it?), although there has been a suggestion that Kobo have improved it sightly (less of a blue tinge) since the Glo was first released.

Incidentally, agree with you bokolobs about Amazon generally getting everything else more right than their competitors. Which is why I'll look on with interest and see what, if anything, Sony do with their next e-reader, but will wait for the next version of the Paperwhite before committing one way or the other.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, paperwhite, screen issues