Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
Justlog
Justlog doesn't litterJustlog doesn't litter

Device: none
Smile Ereader for comics mostley.

Hey everyone, I'm kinda new around here and I'm from Israel. I might have a few mistakes in english but so far so good.
Anyway Ive been searching for a Ereader for quite a while and couldn't find one that fits or just don't know if fits. My needs are mostley comics(CBR files).
I have a really huge collection of E-comics(if that's the name for it) so I need a Ereader big enough so I won't have to zoom for each panel to read it. I don't really know which size I need for that kind of use so that's why I came here. I probaly do some videos watching and etc. but mainly reading comics. And of course I need a good screen so I can read my comics as they suppose to be seen. There Isn't a price tag really, because I live in Israel and I can't really give you a price tag beacuse of the currency. Thank you all In advance!
Justlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I highly recommend a 10in android tablet.

I have a 10in tablet and a 6in ereader. While I "can" read comics on the ereader, it is so messy that it isn't worth the hassle. The tablet, while not perfect, pretty much displays how I want it too.

And I recommend Comicrack as your ecomic manager. Especially as it can be on your computer and on an android device and alloys syncing. Which is cool
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can get comic book apps on iOS or Android.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Except for Toshiba's upcoming 13" tablet, 10.1" 16:9 screen ratio or 9.7" 4:3 screen ratio are the only tablet sizes in iOS and Android you'll find (some Windows tablets are larger, but they are very expensive and have bad battery life). I think 4:3 screen ratio works better for reading comics, personally. 16:9 is ok, but a bit narrow for most comics.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
I think more 10" tablets are 16:10 than 16:9. The Asus Transformer and Samsung Galaxy Tab are both 1280x800, for example. Granted, 1.6 is closer to 1.78 than 4:3's 1.33. After reading site-feeds in Pulse or Currents, reading comics is what I do most on my Asus, and most comics fit the available space with minimal black bars, if any. (If my googling is correct, the taskbar is 48 pixels tall, so (1280-48)/800=1.54, very nearly halfway between 4:3 and 16:9.)

Last edited by Jadon; 05-09-2012 at 09:56 PM. Reason: typo, math
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2012, 05:14 AM   #6
Justlog

Well from what you advice(all of you) you are saying that I should go for a 10"+- Tablet.
Ive got another question, I should search for the highest resolution tablet around for the best experience right?

Last edited by Justlog; 05-10-2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:41 AM   #7
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
The highest res tablet at the moment is the iPad3, by a clear margin.
There will probably be a Samsung Android equivalent available this year.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:47 AM   #8
Justlog

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
The highest res tablet at the moment is the iPad3, by a clear margin.
There will probably be a Samsung Android equivalent available this year.
I probably should wait right? I mean, the iOS is a very limited OS and I don't want to be stuck with it.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #9
Justlog

So which model would you recommend?
Old 05-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #10
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justlog View Post
I probably should wait right? I mean, the iOS is a very limited OS and I don't want to be stuck with it.
Well it depends what you want to do with it, and what you think the limits are.
If you are looking for something to read full size comics on (rather than manga), then the iPad3 is simply the best device available at the moment, the only one where a full double page is readable without zooming in, for example.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Right now, the iPad 3 is the best option because of its high screen resolution (no need to constantly zoom it to read smaller text captions). There are plenty of good comic reader apps for the iPad so that's not really something you'll have to worry about.

My biggest gripe with the iPad is storage. Highest you can get is 64GB ($699 Wi-Fi, $829 4G) and useable space is only around 59GB. I have to constantly juggle files around and delete/copy comics/manga to the iPad because storage is very limited. It's not like the "cloud" is a viable option with comics. While it's easy enough to use Dropbox or Calibre's server for ebooks (normally under 1MB each), the comics/manga I have are much larger (80-100MB per volume) and do take quite a while to copy.

So far, the only Android tablet that's been officially announced with relatively high resolution is the ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity 700 (1920x1200). No idea when it'll be released though, particularly with the news regarding Snapdragon S4 shortage.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:26 AM   #12
sheygetz
Connoisseur
sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.

Device: KPW G2 , 10" tablet
Quote:
So which model would you recommend?
Arnova 9 G2, the G(eneration) 3 is coming in a few weeks.
That is a 4:3 format 9,7" with a rather brilliant 1024x768 IPS screen.
Much cheaper than Apple.

Hendrik
sheygetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #13
Justlog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheygetz View Post
Arnova 9 G2, the G(eneration) 3 is coming in a few weeks.
That is a 4:3 format 9,7" with a rather brilliant 1024x768 IPS screen.
Much cheaper than Apple.

Hendrik
Any offical price?
Specs?
Isn't 1024X768 too low for comics?
and I see it's running on Gingerbread.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:23 PM   #14
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
Isn't 1024X768 too low for comics?
It should be ok for single pages (although won't show all the detail that is there). You may have to zoom in to read double page images.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #15
Justlog

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
It should be ok for single pages (although won't show all the detail that is there). You may have to zoom in to read double page images.
I'm reading only one page images. will it be fine for me?