Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-23-2015, 10:03 PM   #1
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Firmware 3.18.0 discussion

Firmware version 3.18.0 is out. I'll try to keep this opening post updated with the changes that we notice since the last version (3.17.3).

New features and bug fixes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Here are the details posted to the beta list by Kobo.

Release is for: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Touch 2.0

Changes include:
  • Sort Bookstore search results by price, rating, title, and date
  • See how many books are in each subcategory
  • After a sync that finds and applies an update, the regular sync is completed after update
  • Ghosting improvements
  • % read updates correctly on the sleep screen
  • Previously, saved Bookstore searches would not appear if Wifi was disconnected
  • Previously, 'Downloading' of book/article progress could get stuck in the header
Turning off wi-fi while sync is still running in the background silently cancels the sync. (previously a popup asked if you wished to cancel sync.)

Türkçe (Turkish) added to list of interface languages, New English-Turkish translation dictionary.

The display of the connect-to-computer popup is fixed.

New bugs:

The following two refresh bugs are triggered by: opening the dictionary, advanced font settings, table of contents, reading settings from within a book; making an annotation; or putting the device to sleep and waking again from within a book. Closing the book and re-opening it will stop the problems until the next time the bug is triggered.

* FullScreenReading refresh bug. (Only occurs on devices with the unofficial FullScreenReading=true feature setting and the "Show header and footer" option unticked). On the Aura the screen is no longer refreshed at all. On other devices it causes an extra-heavy full screen refresh to occur at every page turn regardless of the "Refresh the screen every" reading setting.

* Normal reading refresh bug (occurs on other devices too). On the Aura no screen refresh occurs at all when opening or closing the reading menus in a book. On other devices the screen is refreshed each time the reading menus are opened and again when closed (the normal behaviour before the bug is triggered is to only refresh when closing the menus.) There is also an extra refresh that shows a central black vertical bar, starting when a scheduled refresh coincodes with the beginning of a new chapter and occuring at every new chapter thereafter.

Other observations:

This firmware version has been successfully sideloaded to the Mini.

Support for firmware 3.18.0 has been added in Calibre version 2.39.

Last edited by GeoffR; 09-30-2015 at 09:03 PM. Reason: making an annotation is also a trigger
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:16 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Firmware version 3.18.0 is out.

I'll try to keep this opening post updated with the changes that we notice since the last version (3.17.3).

Changes:

* The heavy ghosting in menus, dictionary etc. (since 3.15.0) has been fixed!

* The sleep screen wrong percentage progress (since 3.17.0) has been fixed!
This makes it worth updating to once the patches are ready to go. I am not trying to rush you on the patches.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:17 PM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
This post is meant to compliment the first post (thank you GeoffR for the work in the first post) with relevant 3.18.0 information. I'm going to put it in spoiler tags so it can easily be skipped.

Spoiler:

This post is up to date through post #250; please read the entire thread(s) to make sure you aren't missing important information.

*** Direct links to Kobo firmware: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660

*** Instructions for patching firmware 3.18.0: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=265607

*** Kobo Night mode: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212162
Report of night mode working with Aura and Aura HD.

*** Previous firmware discussion: Firmware 3.17.3 Discussion
Next firmware discussion: no newer firmware

*** There is an interesting discussion about downgrading the firmware starting with post #153.

*** FAQ
* If you are updating over wifi, the updates are rolled out over time, it may take a while (several weeks?) before your device updates. Do a search for "affiliate" if you want to try and get the update sooner (or use the direct firmware download link above).

* For info on full screen reading, do a search on "FullScreenReading". Be sure to use an appropriate editor when editing the config file.

Last edited by John F; 10-14-2015 at 06:11 AM.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:21 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Reserved
Reserved for? GeoffR is keeping tack of changes in 3.18.0 in the first post of this thread.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:09 PM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
After I first upgraded I found that using the dictionary, advanced font settings, table of contents in a book caused a full screen refresh to occur every page until the book is closed and opened again. But now it has stopped hapenning, so maybe just one of those weird things that happen immediately after an upgrade.

Edit: Argh no, it's back again. It seems to happen in full-screen mode but not normal mode. It also starts happening after sleeping and waking again, so if there is no fix for this then it looks like full-screen mode has just become useless.

The menus have been changed back to black and white, like they were before 3.15.0. They not only look nicer than the weird dark-grey-on-light-grey scheme that started in 3.15.0 but the ghosting has gone too. I think the two things are connected.

Last edited by GeoffR; 09-24-2015 at 01:38 AM. Reason: full-screen bug happens after sleep too.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:19 AM   #6
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
The menus have been changed back to black and white, like they were before 3.15.0. They not only look nicer than the weird dark-grey-on-light-grey scheme that started in 3.15.0 but the ghosting has gone too.
Interesting. Will wait for the upgrade till more facts come out.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:41 AM   #7
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Unchecking 'Pinch to adjust font size' still does not disable it when reading an ePUB.
At least I can patch it
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:55 AM   #8
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Reserved for? GeoffR is keeping tack of changes in 3.18.0 in the first post of this thread.
John F want to make a sort of summary in every firmware thread and reserve a post for it.. I think the right place isn't here but in the firmware thread but that is already maintained by Murg,and I agree that the one will started the threat is also the one who maintains it..but John F wants to do it also because he doesn't like it that persons need to read the whole firmware thread to know all "ups and downs"..
We had a long discussion about it.. I think the only way to learn about the firmware is reading the whole topic and not just one post with a personal gathering of interest *..but he is gonna do it in every new firmware thread.. reserve a post and make his own summary about the post in that thread...

*The "danger" i think there is that people can find new bugs and report it,but as long as his "reserved" post isn't updated,people miss it, second if someone change something in his post or add things,it can be missed to.. (this is not an invitation to discuss this again) sure it is always your own responsibility to read everything,but newbies can think it is an "official post" and maybe even ignore new posts because it isn't in John F's post.. (this is not an invitation to discuss this again,just my own opinion..)

Last edited by Nick_1964; 09-24-2015 at 10:54 AM. Reason: the * part
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:41 AM   #9
WiBu
WiBu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Firmware version 3.18.0 is out.
* When using full-screen mode (FullScreenReading=true feature setting), opening the dictionary, ...
Grrrrrrr!
WiBu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:33 PM   #10
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Cool, I don't really care about that bug as I already use refresh every page.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:40 PM   #11
outlandos
Connoisseur
outlandos doesn't litteroutlandos doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo HD
As i don't use fullscreenmode I will update as soon as the patches are ready.
outlandos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:42 PM   #12
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlandos View Post
As i don't use fullscreenmode I will update as soon as the patches are ready.
They are: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=265607
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 02:18 PM   #13
IanD
Enthusiast
IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Glo HD, PW2
Feeling a bit dim here ... can someone explain what full screen reading mode is please? I don't see any obvious setting in the GUI.

I have a Glo HD with stock 3.15.0, and no patches currently - just wondering if it's finally time to upgrade.
IanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:45 PM   #14
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
I'll certainly try and report on the upgrade when I get a moment, but does anyone know whether 3.18 fixes the inability to turn off your Kobo when it's plugged into a charger? That was the bug from 3.17.3 that bothered me the most....
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:03 PM   #15
eenk
*carrier lost*
eenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kobo Forma, H2O v1, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinnyc View Post
I'll certainly try and report on the upgrade when I get a moment, but does anyone know whether 3.18 fixes the inability to turn off your Kobo when it's plugged into a charger? That was the bug from 3.17.3 that bothered me the most....
I can confirm that this bug is still present in 3.18.0.
eenk is offline   Reply With Quote