Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 06-23-2022, 12:36 AM   #31
piovac
piovac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Note 4, Samsung Tab S, MacBook Pro
I have been using CC with Dropbox for a very long time. The previous developer was very responsive and fixed bugs very often. The new developer didn’t have the competency to keep up the user needs. Now the application is basically dead.

I switched to Calibre Sync and I was quite pleased with both its functionality and its responsiveness. I highly recommend it! The other thing I like a lot about this app is that it can sync multiple libraries even on different clouds.

For people that look for a free app with similar functionality, for a while I used Libreca. It was working decently, but was only for iOS. Unfortunately, it is no more available on the App Store. But if someone want to pick up where the old developer left it, the code has been made available on GitLab: https://gitlab.com/calibre-utils/Libreca
piovac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 04:23 AM   #32
rjh4242
Enthusiast
rjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Marvin 3 on iPad/iPhone
I downloaded and started using Calibre Sync two days ago. Found a bug in downloading epubs from Box. Emailed the developer and they fixed it immediately, updated the app yesterday and it's all working perfectly. I am very pleased with both the app and the responsiveness of the developers. They're clearly working on more functionality, although it's very good as it is. Definitely worth the money.
rjh4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2022, 04:08 AM   #33
ackomb
Zealot
ackomb has a spectacular aura aboutackomb has a spectacular aura aboutackomb has a spectacular aura aboutackomb has a spectacular aura aboutackomb has a spectacular aura aboutackomb has a spectacular aura aboutackomb has a spectacular aura aboutackomb has a spectacular aura aboutackomb has a spectacular aura aboutackomb has a spectacular aura aboutackomb has a spectacular aura about

Device: i-pad
Contemplating which one to spend money on...

I abandoned CC a while ago as it was constantly stuck. I found the solution in connecting my reader app to onedrive, but it's till a tedious job when reading fanfiction since new chapters are not uploaded into the reader app right away. I'm suspecting CS will have the same issue as it will sync the app, but you would still have to manually download the book again which I assume will lead to loss of read status. I've recently started testing Calibre's Plug-in Bookfusion (free version) which is a sync and reader in one directly from Calibre. Which works quite easy. the 2 issues I have though are that it does not sync back the read status, and you can only use 1 custom column which it uses to create bookshelves. Which is fine within the free version which allows 25 books only. But imagine syncing 40k+ into the paid version, you would not know where to begin finding a book you'd want to start reading. I know it's not an option, but they should combine their efforts if together they would add a sync back read status and time it would be one hell of an app.

CS +:
One time purchase (per platform, I use both Android and Apple devices);
Extensive search on custom column tags
CS -:
No sync back on read status/time;
no sync back; no built in reader
CS?:
How would one go about keeping track of which story you're reading across devices?
Will it work when a library contains over 40k+ books?

BF +:
Built in reader;
Sync read status across any device or web server;
I decide which books to sync from Calibre, which means I do not have to worry about it getting stuck on the size;
I re-upload FanFiction that have a new chapters while still keeping my read status;
BF -:
Monthly fee;
Minimal/no custom column tag search;
No sync back on read status/time;
Slow(er) response from developers on issues

What would you do and why?
ackomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 10:12 AM   #34
vikarti
Groupie
vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Some of reasons I don't use Calibre Sync:
- STILL no last read/read status sync
- Issues with LARGE library sync (as in 20+k books and 2-3k synced to devices). It never worked (CC is slow but it's work)

I still use CC with MoonReader(carefully selected version of, and restored from archive every time I need it on new device) (and Bookfusion as secondary system at this time. Sometimes I reevalute)

as for 'there to spend your money':I think:
if choice is between CS and CC - I think you should choose CS (at least CS IS being updated, you will get exactly nothing from paying for CC).
if choice is between CS,CC and BF - not sure.But not CC.
my choice all 3 but it was is but BF subscription was started long time ago and I think it worth it's price.
as BF's slower response - I don't think so. Response is rather fast if it's something that could be done right now. There was some issues via ticket system/email where they just put ticket on hold until it could be done. You also could use their Discord.

Also, speaking of price, maybe it's only me but:
- Bookfusion: almost ANY smartphone + almost any table + any computer at all. Sync is either work or it isn't. If it's isn't - it's either your very slow internet(like EDGE) or bug which should be reported and fixed
- CC/Moon+: let's say one of reasons I have rather pricy devices is due to me also using CC/Moon+. Samsung doesn't manufacture cheap and reliable DeX-supporting hardware, Uperect and Nexdock are also not very cheap.

Last edited by vikarti; 07-31-2022 at 10:27 AM. Reason: more about BF
vikarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 06:48 PM   #35
mitra1
Zealot
mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis 2,ONYX boox max lumi
I had issues with Calibre sync. I couldn't see Martin Mystere 163-174 when in my imac i have Martin Mystere by number 1 to number 200.
So i uninstalled and i read discussion. I want thanksgive for tip of Bookfusion but i don't see where should i pay?
mitra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2022, 10:02 PM   #36
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitra1 View Post
I had issues with Calibre sync. I couldn't see Martin Mystere 163-174 when in my imac i have Martin Mystere by number 1 to number 200.
So i uninstalled and i read discussion. I want thanksgive for tip of Bookfusion but i don't see where should i pay?
Did you try asking calibre sybc team for help?

I've had various issues and they've been super responsive.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 12:20 AM   #37
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitra1 View Post
What library type is your calibre sync connecting to? I use calibre-web as the backend and it seems the data passed to calibre sync for series index is NOT the index from calibre, but rather a count of the books position on the series.

This means if you have either fractional values or missing entries in the series, the values in calibre sync will be incorrect.

Ie. Calibre has books 0.5 1 2 3
Calibre sync will show books as 1 2 3 4.

Or if calibre has books 1 4 5 6.
Calibre sync will show books 1 2 3 4.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2022, 05:27 AM   #38
Spinningwoman
Connoisseur
Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1
I glad to have read this thread and downloaded Calibre Sync rather than Calibre companion. I never used CC so I don’t know how it compares, but CS seems to do everything I want and makes downloading ebooks to my various destinations much easier than having to search Dropbox folders on my phone for a possibly misremembered title. I also like that I can choose between downloading covers (on my voluminous phone storage) or metadata only (on my teensy iPad). Maybe there should be a pinned Calibre Sync topic to match the CC one??
Spinningwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 01:41 PM   #39
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Right now I'd suggest using https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=345380 in the calibre/ Related Tools forum.

Old 09-06-2022, 02:27 PM   #40
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Right now I'd suggest using https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=345380 in the calibre/ Related Tools forum.
I think converting this forum from CC to something like "Apps connecting to calibre" would be a good idea. Any idea if the powers-that-be would support/do such a change?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 02:56 PM   #41
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Charles,
I think this forum should just go to the Archive.
Mt 2p (and I am not even the power you are )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 04:07 PM   #42
Spinningwoman
Connoisseur
Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Charles,
I think this forum should just go to the Archive.
Mt 2p (and I am not even the power you are )

It’s useful though, because CC is still in the App Store, and without this thread I would probably have bought it and wasted time getting into it.
Old 09-06-2022, 04:08 PM   #43
Spinningwoman
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I think converting this forum from CC to something like "Apps connecting to calibre" would be a good idea. Any idea if the powers-that-be would support/do such a change?

Yes, that would make sense.
Old 09-06-2022, 04:09 PM   #44
Spinningwoman
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post

I did, but only because it was mentioned in this section of the forum.
Old 09-06-2022, 06:19 PM   #45
mitra1
Zealot
mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis 2,ONYX boox max lumi
I have wroten to Calibre sync and i received this answer.
Quote:
Hi,

Thank you for reporting the issue. This is certainly a very weird issue. Would you mind sending us just the metadata.db of your library so that we can investigate further?

Regards,
Calibre Sync Help Team
I have 3.48 version of calibre. Where is this metadata.db file?
The issue isn't the exact position but that there are missing books.
https://mega.nz/file/FEhH2aJL#dMQ0uN...2g2MfwCtPXrN6k
https://mega.nz/file/cBRWlbzQ#CnavjV...z1wnmqsvC3FkLU
I have Martin Mystere 1-200 and here Calibre sync don't recognize 10 of them

Last edited by mitra1; 09-06-2022 at 06:25 PM.
mitra1 is offline   Reply With Quote