Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-30-2022, 04:22 PM   #61
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark View Post
What organizational structure does it allow?
A tagging system like Gmail's would be ideal.
A directory structure is acceptable.
"Bookshelves" are not good enough if you have more than a thousand documents, and a joke when you have more than ten thousand.
A directory structure is acceptable? Perhaps in some alternate universe but in this universe, having 13,000 books with 8,000 authors is not going to work with using directories unless you are into scrolling endlessly.

Though out of curiosity, given a textbook with 8 authors, how do you arrange a directory structure to make it easily locatable using any of the author names or the title or the subject of the textbook?

A decent search allowing for author, title, series, etc. is a lot more usable. The only collection I use on my Kobo's is one called Finished.

Quote:
Basically, once you have more than a few thousand documents, you must stick with one organizational structure to use on all your devices, because you don't have time to re-organize them, ever. That means using a directory structure, which is the only structure any operating system offers. So you need to be able to just copy the directory structure onto the e-reader, without any manual intervention.
Whereas a searchable database works very well and does not need to worry about the directory structure. Want to find a book by Craig Martelle? Just start typing in the search box, tap on the name and away it goes. Want to find a book in the Belisarius series? Again, just start typing and when you have enough characters for uniqueness, there it is. Want to find a book tagged with multivariable calculus? Doing in this is again a simple search.

Quote:
You might think I could copy just the relevant ones onto my e-reader. But I've downloaded them into my organizational directory structure. Picking out just the ones I plan to read would be very, very time-consuming. It's bad enough just picking out which directories to copy onto my e-reader. Also, it isn't really possible to know which ones are relevant in advance; reading one article might direct me towards another.
Again, directory structures are so last century. Set up a searchable database and let it worry about physical locations.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 01:47 AM   #62
svkelley
svkelley began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWTS View Post
Ah, maybe that's the difference between our experiences. I only have a few books loaded at any given time. Glad you were able to find a solution that works for you.
Exactly, same with me. I'm amazed by people having so many books on their device. I thought my wife having 20+ books on request at the local library a bit out of the ordinary.

I have a Nook Glowlight 4 and only have a handful on it at any given time. I just like reading books on it better than my Kobo Libre 2.

Sean
svkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2022, 08:11 AM   #63
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Again, directory structures are so last century. Set up a searchable database and let it worry about physical locations.
Yup.

I have about 500 books (mostly Gutenberg and current library books) and about 2000 guitar transcriptions. In two separate applications I can type a few letters and find what I want. By default it searches all the metadata (title, author/artist, tags, first line). I can limit it to a single field, but rarely do.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 12:26 AM   #64
RWTS
Enthusiast
RWTS began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by svkelley View Post
Exactly, same with me. I'm amazed by people having so many books on their device. I thought my wife having 20+ books on request at the local library a bit out of the ordinary.
I'm a bit late in responding, but this was nice to read. I don't feel so alone.

I understand this is a forum devoted to eBooks and eReaders, so the regular posters are a passionate and devoted bunch. But it still fascinates me and boggles my mind when I browse threads here. I've never had more than a dozen books loaded on my Nook at any given time; the idea of having hundreds or even thousands of books simply doesn't compute. Same when I read about people who keep purchasing books when they haven't read prior purchases.

Just a totally different mindset than my own. What I view as digital clutter and a potential waste of money brings other people great joy. To each his own, eh?
RWTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 01:04 AM   #65
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWTS View Post
I'm a bit late in responding, but this was nice to read. I don't feel so alone.

I understand this is a forum devoted to eBooks and eReaders, so the regular posters are a passionate and devoted bunch. But it still fascinates me and boggles my mind when I browse threads here. I've never had more than a dozen books loaded on my Nook at any given time; the idea of having hundreds or even thousands of books simply doesn't compute. Same when I read about people who keep purchasing books when they haven't read prior purchases.

Just a totally different mindset than my own. What I view as digital clutter and a potential waste of money brings other people great joy. To each his own, eh?
Well, there are hoarders and there are minimalists. And yeah, they're totally different mindsets.

Most people fall somewhere in the middle, but the extremists can be pretty extreme.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2022, 02:13 AM   #66
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Well, there are hoarders and there are minimalists. And yeah, they're totally different mindsets.
I don't consider people who want their whole libraries on their eReader "hoarders." I just think they like carrying their library with them. (I'm not one of them, but I can understand it.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 06:32 AM   #67
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Well, there are hoarders and there are minimalists.
I live in 160 square feet (15 square meters) and I have spare storage areas that I'm not using. So, I guess that I'm not a hoarder.

Still, I put tons of technical references, 500 Gutenberg books and a few current library books on both my ereader and my phone. I don't spend hours organizing things in directories or tagging them. I just plug in a device, give a simple command and everything syncs.
Old 03-12-2023, 08:02 PM   #68
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't consider people who want their whole libraries on their eReader "hoarders." I just think they like carrying their library with them. (I'm not one of them, but I can understand it.)
I prefer to have all my library loaded. The fact i can't afford the 64gb scribe and I had to settle for the 32gb has my ocd kicking in for ican not fit all my audible companions on 32gb. my nook library is small enough to fit all on my nook at least
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 08:18 PM   #69
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I prefer to have all my library loaded. The fact i can't afford the 64gb scribe and I had to settle for the 32gb has my ocd kicking in for ican not fit all my audible companions on 32gb. my nook library is small enough to fit all on my nook at least
I couldn't load my entire library on any ereader. But then I don't need or want to. It's enough for me to load a relatively small subset (which is still about 3,000 books). My whole library resides in Calibre and I'm content with that.
Old 03-12-2023, 09:15 PM   #70
Renate
Wizard

I don't think I mentioned it, but I did add 128 GB micro SD card to the 7.8 Glow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	glow4-3.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	200292  
Old 03-22-2023, 11:09 AM   #71
Shagbark
Shagbark began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simpletouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
I don't think I mentioned it, but I did add 128 GB micro SD card to the 7.8 Glow.
That's great!
How did you solder those tiny connections?
What kind of wire is that? Twisted, or single?
Shagbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 11:15 AM   #72
Shagbark
Shagbark began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simpletouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
A directory structure is acceptable? Perhaps in some alternate universe but in this universe, having 13,000 books with 8,000 authors is not going to work with using directories unless you are into scrolling endlessly. ...

I have a searchable database on my desktop, but I can't set up a searchable database on an e-reader. And a search function doesn't help you when you're looking for a book on a particular topic, rather than a particular book.

Don't tell me how to do something when you don't know what I'm doing.
Shagbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 12:02 PM   #73
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
How did you solder those tiny connections?
What kind of wire is that? Twisted, or single?
How did I solder? Carefully.
I used a full-size SD card adapter as a socket.
You could also solder directly to a micro SD if you never intend to use it elsewhere.
The wire is 30 AWG (0.05 mm²) solid "wire wrap" wire.
See: http://www.temblast.com/blogs/glow4/blog.htm
Old 03-22-2023, 12:03 PM   #74
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I have a searchable database on my desktop, but I can't set up a searchable database on an e-reader. And a search function doesn't help you when you're looking for a book on a particular topic, rather than a particular book.

If your current e-reader doesn't do what you want, perhaps consider getting another brand? There are plenty of ereaders on which you can set up both a searchable database and categorization by topic, genre, whatever you want. Nooks and Kindles are the worst for organizing your library, because they don't allow any external manipulation of their OS (unless you root or jailbreak, and I'm not sure even then). With Kobos and Pocketbooks, however, organization in any way you want can be fully automatic.
Old 03-22-2023, 12:31 PM   #75
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I doubt any offense was meant in that post, and you'll get more flies with honey than vinegar.

Quote:
And a search function doesn't help you when you're looking for a book on a particular topic, rather than a particular book.
On Kobo, you can create collections from tags in Caliber. So at least there the search function is a help when you're looking for a book on a particular topic.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote