Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Considering ditching Kindle...think I have 3 primary options? Help?

I had (and loved!) my original Kindle 1. I skipped the K2, bought my dad a K3 and eventually upgraded myself to a K3 (or Kindle Keyboard as they are now known) when the Kindle Touch came out. Call me crazy or old fashioned, but I *want* my physical page turn buttons.

And it looks like Amazon doesn't plan on giving them back anytime soon.

Now, don't get me wrong. I have and use other touch screen devices like an iPad 3 and my android smartphone. But for reading, I *like* the page turn buttons. I like holding the KK with my thumb on the button and a slight twitch moves me forward.

So...I've been trying to sort through all the options out there at the moment...or at least the most well known ones...and it looks like I really only have a handful of options. Are these right?

Sony T2/T3 - looks like the "buttons" are actually just part of a navigation strip below the screen? If so, then this really isn't quite what I'm looking for either.

Nook ST/ST with GlowLight

Bookeen Cybook Odyssey

It seems like everything else I look at does not have page buttons?

So 1st...what am I missing?

And 2nd...which of those options is best?

I know that frontlit/glowlight is a matter of preference. I've done fine without it so far so that's not a major concern.

I use Calibre...so epub vs. azw doesn't really matter to me either. I can convert all my Amazon purchases to epub easily enough.

Unless I'm missing something, none of the KOBO's have page buttons?

The Cybook Odyssey might be off the list because you can't seem to buy them anywhere at the moment! I visit the web page, hit the buy button which takes me to the shop and there are no Odysseys. No Opus' either. Only Orizon. I used the contact form to contact Bookeen Sunday afternoon and so far have no response about when Odyssey might be back in stock or available (to clarify, I am in the USA).

So that kinda leaves me with Sony vs. Nook?

Last edited by texasnightowl; 09-17-2013 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Sony update
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
So 1st...what am I missing?
The Onyx Boox i62HD also has page turn buttons as does the basic Kindle. IIRC so do some of the models Pocket Book offers.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The Onyx Boox i62HD also has page turn buttons as does the basic Kindle. IIRC so do some of the models Pocket Book offers.
Dang. You're right. I did forget about the basic Kindle. Everything is all "Paperwhite!" and "Fire!" these days that I missed it.

Will look at Onyx too...don't know much about them.

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
You should get the basic kindle, or wait and see if BN releases a new e-reader in October, as is rumored.

If you are in the US you will likely have to buy the Onyx from Germany, and pay a LOT.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
I could never go back to a reader without built in front light, but that's just me.

I picked up the Cybook Odyssey HD FL a couple months back and I think it's a solid device. I had two minor issues with it: The bezel is larger than the Kobo Glo's, and the physical buttons are designed in a way that causes them to work best if you press them from the device's front. This isn't an issue if you read while seated or standing, but if you lay on your back and hold the device in one hand, it becomes a problem. Other than that, it's very comparable to the other 6" readers and feels less cheap than the Glo.

The Pyrrus mini has buttons too, and I really like that device (only 4.3", so it may be too small for you). If it had a front light, I would use it more frequently.

Thalia.de sells the Odyssey, but I don't know if they ship to destinations outside of Germany or the EU.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Are there still cheap Nook STs about. I bought one a few weeks ago on a trip to the UK and it has got me back on e-ink and away from the iPad. It's got page buttons of a sort - they are really just raised ridges, on the front, but they are assignable for forward and backward page turns to suit your preferences. It seem like a really solid piece of kit. Mine's got a front light, which I never use and wi fi, which I also never use. But they were selling them without the light for about £30.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
texasnightowl
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
You should get the basic kindle, or wait and see if BN releases a new e-reader in October, as is rumored.

If you are in the US you will likely have to buy the Onyx from Germany, and pay a LOT.
Yes, I am in the US, so that is a negative against Onyx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
I could never go back to a reader without built in front light, but that's just me.

I picked up the Cybook Odyssey HD FL a couple months back and I think it's a solid device.

Thalia.de sells the Odyssey, but I don't know if they ship to destinations outside of Germany or the EU.
The Cybook is an option I was looking at, but they have absolutely no Odyssey's listed in the Bookeen shop right now (US). Nothing except the Orizon model. Now, supposedly they have a new release coming soon, so maybe that will change, but right now, nothing. And as far as I can tell, thalia does not ship to the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Are there still cheap Nook STs about. I bought one a few weeks ago on a trip to the UK and it has got me back on e-ink and away from the iPad. It's got page buttons of a sort - they are really just raised ridges, on the front, but they are assignable for forward and backward page turns to suit your preferences. It seem like a really solid piece of kit. Mine's got a front light, which I never use and wi fi, which I also never use. But they were selling them without the light for about £30.
Yes, the Nook is still under consideration but they apparently have something new coming out soon (October) too. So I'll probably just see what happens over the next few weeks and then make a decision.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
I'm the same way with the page turn buttons - I've tried a few touch screen only devices, and I never could break myself of the habit of reaching for that button.

I recently picked up the Sony T2 when the price dropped, and really love the way it fits my hand. The turn buttons are on the left hand side so great placement for thumbing through pages for me.

I had a Nook ST and its buttons were more of an awkward reach for me, being about halfway up the sides of the bezel. The niece I passed it on to loves them where they are - she likes the wider bezel too.

I prefer the Sony UI to the Nook, but both are good devices with SD card slots and good battery life. I had a faulty battery in my Nook and B&N was great about sending me a replacement in under a week.

And I still love and use my Sony 300 weekly - it's a little tank with a center toggle. They go for about $30US on eBay so I grabbed a backup just in case.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Another possible option that's coming out Icarus Illumina HD – Frontlight (you'd probably have to buy from Europe & have it shipped over)
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #10
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You could still get another K3. There are new ones still around. Check eBay.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #11
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
I had the Basic Kindle before the paperwhite and loved it. I just gifted it to my niece as I now prefer the PW which eliminated the need for a clip light. I especially liked the size of the Basic, and used a TPU back cover only which made holding it a cinch.
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #12
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
Another possible option that's coming out Icarus Illumina HD – Frontlight (you'd probably have to buy from Europe & have it shipped over)
Having had a look at the manual, http://www.totalereaders.com/icarus/...ser_manual.pdf I think that this could be a good option, as long as the light is good.

It can be bought from http://www.icarusreader.com/
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:07 PM   #13
texasnightowl
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharphamster View Post
I'm the same way with the page turn buttons - I've tried a few touch screen only devices, and I never could break myself of the habit of reaching for that button.

I recently picked up the Sony T2 when the price dropped,
Have to admit I'm watching one or two T2 listings on ebay.

Quote:
That looks interesting actually. I like it. But the price...hmm... The 90 Euro non-VAT price would be about $122 US plus shipping. Still, maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
You could still get another K3. There are new ones still around. Check eBay.
A valid option. As much as I love the page turn buttons though, I don't really use the keyboard at all. Kinda why I'm looking to see what else is out there. Which leads back to ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
I had the Basic Kindle before the paperwhite and loved it. I just gifted it to my niece as I now prefer the PW which eliminated the need for a clip light. I especially liked the size of the Basic, and used a TPU back cover only which made holding it a cinch.
This is probably still the leading option.

Especially since Bookeen has announced that the new Odyssey will have a lower resolution screen.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #14
sheygetz
Connoisseur
sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.

Device: KPW G2 , 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
Sony T2/T3 - looks like the "buttons" are actually just part of a navigation strip ...
Not quite sure, what you mean by that. They are "real" buttons with rather firm action. Their position is obviously different from older Kindles. The lower part of the Sony chassis is pretty wide, so it offers excellent real estate to hold it one-handedly with your thumb in the front (operating those <>) and the rest of your hand on the back.

Hendrik
sheygetz is offline   Reply With Quote