Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-22-2019, 09:34 AM   #1
CalRCH
CalRCH began at the beginning.

Device: None
How do I import a book series

A novice question - please redirect me if the question has been answered elsewhere.

I have a large library of books - some 20,000 items, including artwork. Some of these are book series. For example, I have the Amber series by Zelazny.

For any given book, I understand I need to retitle the file to be

Author - title.txt

They are currently stored in

Zelazny, Roger/The Amber Chronicles/number - title.txt

I propose to write a script to generate Calibre-friendly filenames, but cannot work out how to include the Series name and number.

This is quite a general problem, as elsewhere I have the three volume set of Feynman lectures, which will need similar treatment.

I imagine this has been done before, and would welcome all and any advice.

TIA
- Roger -
CalRCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:51 AM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Note, default Calibre import setting when getting metadata from filename is actually:

title - author

Regular expression (Preferences > Import/export > Adding books > Regular expression)
Code:
(?P<title>.+) - (?P<author>[^_]+)

You can certainly modify the regular expression to fit your needs (caveat, doesn't work with folder names afaik).

I think one of the pre-made options in the regex dropdown already include series in the format:

author - series 1 - title

Regular expression
Code:
(?P<author>[^_-]+) -?\s*(?P<series>[^_0-9-]*)(?P<series_index>[0-9]*)\s*-\s*(?P<title>[^_].+) ?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2019, 10:59 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre ADD, does not permit pathnames metadata as yo show.

A long time ago (Internet age ) I used a shareware program Metaporphose
to manipulate (flatfile) the path into the file name
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:41 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@CalRCH - I would use a file rename utility (e.g. Bulk Rename Utility) to rename the files (or a copy thereof) into a form that calibre can handle via a regex such as that suggested by ilovejedd.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:38 AM   #5
CalRCH
CalRCH began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thank you, all. In particular, thank you, jedd. Just the hint I need.
CalRCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
library management, multi-volume sets