Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-22-2019, 03:22 AM   #1
Onyx Boox
Connoisseur
Onyx Boox is on a distinguished road

Device: Boox Ereader
The E Ink just announced a big improvement on colored E-ink display

The Society for Information Display (SID) 2019 was held May from 14th to 16th May 2019 in San Jose, California, US. Let us learn more about the latest E-ink technologies were showcased in this event from here.
Onyx Boox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:38 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Advanced Color ePaper (ACeP) sounds interesting, but with a 3 second update time, it still needs an order of magnitude improvement in update time to be useful in an eReader.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2019, 07:25 AM   #3
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Advanced Color ePaper (ACeP) sounds interesting, but with a 3 second update time, it still needs an order of magnitude improvement in update time to be useful in an eReader.
My friend, yes but you may have missed a piece of info:
Quote:
E Ink was showcasing ACeP in both 26” and 13.3”
ACeP 13.3'' is being produced. This is great news.
Really useful? I guess it would also depend on the fastest "waveform" available (e.g. some "A2 single ink"), the fastest way we would currently have to somehow update the screen. Three seconds is for the full page at full quality.

JustTint and JustWrite, well they may not be directly linked to mobile reading right now, but it is still very interesting technological progress being made - I was not not aware of it.
Nice news and good news.

Last edited by mdp; 05-22-2019 at 07:28 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:45 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I had indeed missed the ACeP 13.3" info. Thanks!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:55 AM   #5
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
3 seconds lol

that's useless for an e-reader, I wouldn't find acceptable anything over 500ms and is already high
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2019, 12:32 PM   #6
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Its been like 12 years since they started talking about color eInk. Its never coming, tablets killed that dream a long time ago
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:05 PM   #7
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardwillie View Post
Its been like 12 years since they started talking about color eInk. Its never coming, tablets killed that dream a long time ago
Trying to make some sense in your statement, it seems it could be meant to mean «Common tablets have eaten up the market for reflective colour displays».

In short,
no.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:54 PM   #8
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Trying to make some sense in your statement, it seems it could be meant to mean «Common tablets have eaten up the market for reflective colour displays».

In short,
no.
The fact is that tablets are color and you can get them for $300-400, less for Samsung Android which have good screens not the cheap $50 Walmart garbage. These tablets are also useful for a ton of other functions, videos, emails, web browsing, etc. The battery lives are very good, 8-12 hours. This is the optimal device for the majority of the market

Then there is color eink. Its been talked about for over 10 years and still hasn't come to market in a viable consumer device. Let's look at regular e-ink, Oynx Boox Nova Pro costs $320 for a 8" screen, great for reading, that's about it. No color. Onyx Boox Note Pro $600 for a 10" screen, great for reading, that's about it. No color.

So when the $1,000+ color e-ink screen comes out who is going to buy it? A few hundred people probably, which is why it has never come out. There is no market for it. At least not one large enough to cover the cost of production.

Where are they at with production? "E Ink was showcasing ACeP in both 26” and 13.3”, both of which are now in production, and an advanced display demonstrating a less than 3 second update time for a new color image." 3 second refresh time? Good luck with that. So you'll be waiting another 10 years for them, just don't hold your breath.

Last edited by junkyardwillie; 05-23-2019 at 06:57 PM.
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:43 PM   #9
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
I suspect that their market is for "ESL & Retail Signage" not tablets or e-readers;

https://www.eink.com/electronic-shelf-label.html

I can't help but wonder what the environmental side effects are from manufacturing, disposing of them later on, etc. compared to the boring paper labels.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:36 AM   #10
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
These tablets are also useful for a ton of other functions, videos, emails, web browsing, etc.
As you used as a counter example,
I think my Nova (used mostly for reading epub and pdf)
it's totally ok for gmail and web browsing long read articles.
I do that all the time.
Given lack of a speaker or an audio jack i tend not to use it for video though.
I use my Asus Zenpad 8 for that and for reading comics.

Quote:
So when the $1,000+ color e-ink screen comes out who is going to buy it? A
Price is what people is willing to pay for something and it's generally proportional to incomings.
For a thousand dollar i won't even buy a foldable tablet.
If they will produce something better then my Nova, for the same price, i will consider it.

I thought Nova was expensive but it ended up being one of my best buy
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:25 AM   #11
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
The fact is that tablets are color and you can get them for $300-400, less for Samsung Android which have good screens [...] This is the optimal device for the majority of the market
But for the relevant market interested in daylight-use oriented displays.

Quote:
So when the $1,000+ color e-ink screen comes out who is going to buy it? A few hundred people probably, which is why it has never come out. There is no market for it. At least not one large enough to cover the cost of production
And in fact, Alabama has recently ruled that unfinished products must not be released to the market.

Quote:
So you'll be waiting another 10 years for them, just don't hold your breath.
And to you «ten years» means «never»?

In ten years time the technological scenario may be profoundly different. Looking at the devices I have around, I cannot state I could foresee ten years ago what is available now. And similar fog covers the scenario in ten years time. Nonetheless, many effective directions have gone towards mobility. I do not see reasons for the trend to stop. And the displays are not there yet.

Last edited by mdp; 05-26-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:55 AM   #12
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
I suspect that their market is for "ESL & Retail Signage" not tablets or e-readers
[...] the boring paper labels.
Do not forget that "paper" vs "electronic" signage have different processes and costs (e.g. printing process vs `showimage poster.jpg`).

Also, "signage" is not limited to advertisement and information for customers. Big reflective colour displays are sought of in home and office environments.

[QUOTE=lumpynose;3848515I can't help but wonder what the environmental side effects are from manufacturing, disposing of them later on, etc. compared to the boring paper labels.[/QUOTE]

I don't know, but you may be interested: E-Ink has a website page about Corporate Social Responsibility,
https://eink.com/csr.html?type=environment
Old 02-12-2020, 09:08 AM   #13
ZeKK
Enthusiast
ZeKK began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
When I see the documentation of ACEP 13.3" it's possible to write a little program in linux bash to take a screen shot of firefox and invoice it to the ACEP screen and I think with a Dasung Paperlike or a big Onyx Boox to browse the web it will possible to have a picture in color and avoid eyes problems that could be usefull, the problem is the time at to wait, i read 3secondes and sometimes 25second and ofcourse the price nears/above 800$.
ZeKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:31 PM   #14
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKK View Post
When I see the documentation of ACEP 13.3" it's possible to write a little program in linux bash to take a screen shot of firefox and invoice it to the ACEP screen and I think with a Dasung Paperlike or a big Onyx Boox to browse the web it will possible to have a picture in color and avoid eyes problems that could be usefull, the problem is the time at to wait, i read 3secondes and sometimes 25second and ofcourse the price nears/above 800$.
In case you missed it last December:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1BAYfzCzu4

Last edited by Marinolino; 02-12-2020 at 11:35 PM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:12 AM   #15
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post
3 seconds lol

that's useless for an e-reader, I wouldn't find acceptable anything over 500ms and is already high

How is this useless? If you scroll to the next page it would be fine by me.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote