Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-24-2016, 11:31 PM   #1
Buckwheat
Buckwheat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless
Help: Need to replace broken Touch 2 Screen

Hoping someone can offer some advice on where (if it's possible at all) to find a replacement screen for a broken Touch 2 Screen. I somehow busted the screen on my only-a-few-months-old Kobo and it's not covered under warranty.

I think the part number may be "ED060SCQ" (I'm reading the number off the ribbon cable that connects the screen to the mother board - the number seems to be a similar to replacement screens for other readers so I think it's the part number ??? but I can't find an exact match).

Thanks for any advice.
Buckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:39 PM   #2
Buckwheat

PS: Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum - newbie
Advert
Old 03-24-2016, 11:47 PM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
You are in the right forum.
Please know that replacing screens is hard because they are very fragile.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:50 PM   #4
Buckwheat

Hi: Cinisajoy, thanks for your note.

Well the screen was already broken i.e. the reader was hooped, so pulling it out wasn't that risky and was pretty simple really. A new screen would pop right in if they're available.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:06 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Unfortunately, it's generally not worth replacing the screen on an e-ink device. They are not readily available and tend to be expensive. Most people just replace the device.

If you want to look, I can't suggest any places. People have mentioned them here for the other Kobo devices, so I suggest doing a search.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2016, 11:01 AM   #6
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Probably your best bet for a replacement screen would be eBay. Look for a non-functioning reader of the same model you have, but make sure the screen is intact! That said, I agree with davidfor--best bet is just to buy a new reader.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:19 AM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Look for a non-functioning reader of the same model you have, but make sure the screen is intact!
Most of the time you just can't tell. Even if it does not look broken on the product picture, it may still be broken. Broken eInk is often distinctive but not always and if the device is dead for other reasons you can't test. And since Kobo can not be bricked (thanks to the replaceable SD card) you don't find many such devices around.

Buy a new device. Sell the old broken one to make a few monies. Not sure about Ebay elsewhere, but for some reason on German ebay people seem to be buying broken display Kobos like crazy. I offered 20€ for a broken Kobo Glo and was outbidded and it's not the first time this happened...

Not sure what people use them for... maybe there are vendors that got their hands on a batch of replacement displays, or they're just using the board for raspi-alike things, or they're hoping for a huge stash of ebooks on it? No clue.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote