Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #1
Vixen
Vixen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
calibre is a download not an application?

Hi

I am new to Mac and also new to Calibre. I downloaded calibre onto my mac and it has not installed the program as an application. I have kept the program in my dock but when I open it I get the message

"calibre" is an application downloaded from the internet.
are you sure you wish to open it?

It also says

"calibre" is on the disk image "calibre-0.8.22.dmg"

Have I downloaded it wrong and what should I do to make this program an application?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Vixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Hi

I am new to Mac and also new to Calibre. I downloaded calibre onto my mac and it has not installed the program as an application. I have kept the program in my dock but when I open it I get the message

"calibre" is an application downloaded from the internet.
are you sure you wish to open it?

It also says

"calibre" is on the disk image "calibre-0.8.22.dmg"

Have I downloaded it wrong and what should I do to make this program an application?

Thanks in advance for any help!
(I am not a Mac person) (BTW 8.22 is now 4 versions old)

Calibre downloads are not automatically installed.

Specific instructions on MAC (or any OS) installs are in the Notes: on the official download page. http://calibre-ebook.com/download_osx

You can review "Whats New" to see if the intervening, newer download offers something of interest to yourself.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
a DMG is a disk image... just drag the calibre icon, from the window that comes up when you double click on the dmg, and drag it into the adjacent Applications folder.
it will copy calibre to your mac.
You can then right click on the dmg, select unmount, and then delete the dmg
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #4
Vixen
Vixen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
a DMG is a disk image... just drag the calibre icon, from the window that comes up when you double click on the dmg, and drag it into the adjacent Applications folder.
it will copy calibre to your mac.
You can then right click on the dmg, select unmount, and then delete the dmg
Thank you - that worked a treat x
Vixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
Lee_G1507
Lee_G1507 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E Book
Hi,
I'm having the same problem with my calibre 0.8.35. I've dragged the dmg file to my applications folder and whenever i try to open calibre the following message ALWAYS appears:
"calibre" is an application downloaded from the internet. are you sure you wish to open it?"
Did i not instal it properly? is there something i'm doing wrong?
Lee_G1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee_G1507 View Post
Hi,
I'm having the same problem with my calibre 0.8.35. I've dragged the dmg file to my applications folder and whenever i try to open calibre the following message ALWAYS appears:
"calibre" is an application downloaded from the internet. are you sure you wish to open it?"
You need to copy the application from the disk image into your applications folder. An alias to your applications folder is conveniently supplied next to calibre on the disk image. Just drag calibre onto that, and it will copy into your applications folder. Then eject the disk image, and open calibre from the applications folder.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee_G1507 View Post
Hi,
The message about the Internet is a Mac security feature. It is telling you that the program was from the Internet and therefore at risk of viruses etc. If you got the application direct from the calibre website, then it should be safe to say yes. You should only see this message the first time that you try to open it. You will see this message again if you install any of the custom plugins.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote