Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 07-27-2020, 01:38 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Fire HD8 Plus first look

This is something like the 7th Fire tablet I’ve bought (I returned one for a refund), Price was about $70 after trade-in discount, which is less than I’ve paid for any previous one, and the specs are better than any previous one. So, ‘a good value’ on that score.

My previous Fire was HD8 (2017 7th gen). Its battery capacity was degraded, and drained quickly in sleep mode. I think this was the result of having it in the Dock accessory almost continuously for a couple of years. In any case, it was not in my regular ‘device rotation’, in part because of this issue.

The improvements the Fire HD8 Plus brings relative to the older Fire are: 3GB RAM, 2GHz quad core CPU, USB-C port and wireless charging and a newer version of FireOS/Android. The wireless capability is a convenience for me as I have several wireless charging pads around, and I prefer to use those rather than wires.

Display is still mediocre 1280x800 resolution, and it has the same, not very customizable Fire UI as my previous Fire. And still an inferior App Store (I would rather use Libby than Overdrive, but it isn’t there). So a pretty boring device. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, as I don’t plan to do anything with it other than read Kindle books (the Fire is the only device where the Kindle app supports TTS, for example, apart from very old Kindles).

I do wish they would include the same set of dictionaries that come with Kindle, in particular Russian. The 3rd party dictionary I purchased from Kindle Store is useless. The Translate feature works, but it also creates a highlight which then needs to be removed (a complaint also applying to Kindle).

Last edited by tomsem; 07-29-2020 at 04:00 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:50 PM   #2
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I got the new HD 8. Not the plus. Its noticeably better than past versions of the tablet. Build feels more solid. Faster too. Better built in wallpaper. feels more like a tablet should be. You can still download google play but you need to enable silk browser to download 3rd party content under settings.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:47 PM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Can you read & listen to the audible book at the Same time ...immersive Reading?
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:01 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Can you read & listen to the audible book at the Same time ...immersive Reading?
In theory yes, on any tablet running kindle apps. Should not matter if it is Amazon hardware or not. I would check for you but I down own any matched ebook audiobook pairs

I do know that the kindle android app always shows a banner link for buying the audiobook, so I would be amazed if immersive reading is not available
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:03 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In theory yes, on any tablet running kindle apps. Should not matter if it is Amazon hardware or not. I would check for you but I down own any matched ebook audiobook pairs

I do know that the kindle android app always shows a banner link for buying the audiobook, so I would be amazed if immersive reading is not available

Also ,that tablet has a hands free docking option and Alexa. I guess Alexa can read out your audible books, but again I don't own any in my Amazon account to test with
Old 09-07-2020, 03:01 AM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Yes. ‘Immersion Reading’.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:40 AM   #7
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Can you set touch zones so that both touch on the left and on the right page forward?
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 10:05 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Can you set touch zones so that both touch on the left and on the right page forward?
Depends what reader and what format you use.
But with Amazon books in the kindle for android app, no. You cannot change the touch zones
Old 11-06-2020, 10:09 AM   #9
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Depends what reader and what format you use.
But with Amazon books in the kindle for android app, no. You cannot change the touch zones
Thanks. No perfect reader, just ones less irritating. I so wish I had kept up with the field so I could write my own ereader software!
Old 12-16-2020, 01:51 PM   #10
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Thanks. No perfect reader, just ones less irritating. I so wish I had kept up with the field so I could write my own ereader software!
I use FBReader which has Android and iOS versions. Works great on the Kindle Fire Tablets, but you do have to install Google Play services and Google app store.

It has 3 tap zones on each side. I've set 5 of them to forward and one back
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:40 AM   #11
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I use FBReader which has Android and iOS versions. Works great on the Kindle Fire Tablets, but you do have to install Google Play services and Google app store.

It has 3 tap zones on each side. I've set 5 of them to forward and one back
Unlike the IOS version, the Android version does NOT have the tap zones, only 1 choice allowed to go forward. That's why it is no longer my ereader of choice.
Old 11-04-2021, 09:40 PM   #12
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Try the paging buttons

I'm late coming to this thread but I just noticed it.

You can use the volume up and volume down buttons to page through Kindle books on a 2020 HD8.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote