Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-31-2018, 10:24 PM   #1
watney
watney began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo hd
kobo glo hd usb charging issue?

hi all,

searched through the forums and haven't yet found a similar issue i'm encountering so i'm hoping someone may have encountered the same thing and if you did, what did you to fix it?

i have a kobo glo hd used sparingly, but now since the firmware upgrade to latest (haven't updated in awhile) the unit won't charge anymore.

i initially thought it was the battery and bought a new one from some seller and i can see that it has a 53% charge. but when i plug it in (wall or usb) it immediately says "connect to a charger" (something to the effect)

however, once i disconnect, i can start it back up again.

one other thing i noticed is that the red light at the top stays on. prior to the firmware update, i recall this being off when the unit was on. only during startup would it stay on.

hoping someone went through this and could help. i'd rather try to fix than buy a new one

Last edited by watney; 03-31-2018 at 10:26 PM.
watney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:58 PM   #2
rudy138
rudy138 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2, Kobo Touch 2.0
Hi Watney. Did you find a solution?

Your problem sounds very much like mine. For me, it actually does charge after many hours, but I not only have to start it up again (it stays stuck in "Please charge.." screen even after unplugging cable), but it tells me the battery is at 1%, and I need to disconnect the battery from the motherboard, and re-connect, and only then will it show the correct battery percentage. Battery itself seems fine, and only dropped 1% after a few hours reading.

I just got my unit 2 days ago, used from an ebay seller in US/Canada, and they have offered a refund if the problem cannot be resolved, but it would involve me shipping it all the way back to them (am in Malaysia), and then trying to find another e-reader, and another agonising 3-4 weeks wait! Also, not much market for e-readers here and everyone just gets them from overseas. So a fix would be great!
rudy138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2018, 02:05 PM   #3
watney
watney began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo hd
no, couldn't figure it out. replaced the battery, downgraded the firmware, no dice.

finally got sick of it and bought a kindle paperwhite

if you find a solution, be good to know, but i gave up.
watney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:13 AM   #4
rudy138
rudy138 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2, Kobo Touch 2.0
Have given up too. Restored with a good sd image, but no change. My brother, who works in semiconductor R&D, advised against bothering with a battery change considering how much it would cost for me to get hold of one here, and how it is most probably a fault in the board. So am looking out for a new e-reader. Sad.
rudy138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:47 PM   #5
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy138 View Post
Hi Watney. Did you find a solution?

Your problem sounds very much like mine. For me, it actually does charge after many hours, but I not only have to start it up again (it stays stuck in "Please charge.." screen even after unplugging cable), but it tells me the battery is at 1%, and I need to disconnect the battery from the motherboard, and re-connect, and only then will it show the correct battery percentage. Battery itself seems fine, and only dropped 1% after a few hours reading.

I just got my unit 2 days ago, used from an ebay seller in US/Canada, and they have offered a refund if the problem cannot be resolved, but it would involve me shipping it all the way back to them (am in Malaysia), and then trying to find another e-reader, and another agonising 3-4 weeks wait! Also, not much market for e-readers here and everyone just gets them from overseas. So a fix would be great!
Rudy can you please link that seller in a PM to me. I want to buy a used one in Canada myself. I will avoid that seller if possible.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert