Device: Irex Iliad, Asus EEENote
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Thank you!!
kontrabas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #272
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
I noted the GoodReader review had something about line spacing and justification not supported on side loads.

Is that the case with other Kobo devices?
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #273
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geormes View Post
I noted the GoodReader review had something about line spacing and justification not supported on side loads.

Definitely not. Sometimes publishers create css code in their epubs that stop the Kobo adjustments working. I've never yet found a non-DRM sideloaded epub which can't be tweaked so that Kobo adjustments work properly.

ereader developers have 2 choices:
1. Ignore any internal epub css and use only the device settings
2. Use device settings unless internal epub css says different.

As far as I know, Kobo uses the type-2 approach. Personally, I'd be very irritated with any device which completely ignored my own css settings.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #274
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
Yes and No.

Many sideloaded epubs have badly predefined css entries for fixed line spacing and justification, the Kobo uses some predefined settings when they exist, and the in device sliders won't work in that case.

But you can remove those css entries with a calibre conversion or with sigil and the sliders will then work for a sideloaded book aswell.

relative linespacing works without modification, f.e.

Last edited by ewphoenix123; 04-21-2013 at 05:28 PM.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #275
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by melonfresh View Post
Officeworks now carry the Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo, this isn't stated on their Glo's Where To Buy page either, but they are also the cheapest places to buy Kobo's products Perhaps shoot them an e-mail to see if they'll be stocking it on release here?
If I get the Aura, I'll probably pre-order it. The price difference between the stores when the Glo come out was negligable, and with a pre-order, I'll get guaranteed availability.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #276
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewphoenix123 View Post
Yes and No.

Many sideloaded epubs have badly predefined css entries for fixed line spacing and justification, the Kobo uses some predefined settings when they exist, and the in device sliders won't work in that case.

But you can remove those css entries with a calibre conversion or with sigil and the sliders will then work for a sideloaded book aswell.

relative linespacing works without modification, f.e.

I just reread that review and don't see a comment about side loaded content not being adjustable.

I couldn't see any advantage to writing software to detect a sideloaded epub then disabling internal adjustments.

The other alternative was the reviewer was blaming the hardware for a css issue and that just didn't seem possible.
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #277
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I just reread that review and don't see a comment about side loaded content not being adjustable.
The comment about not being able to adjust was made in the 1st actual review video (not the unboxing video). The short version is that except on what is likely a small number of epubs where it can't/doesn't override the settings in it, you can change spacing and font size.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #278
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:

You have to remember that while they give long reviews, doing a very good job at showing what the ereader look like, the Goodereader guys are idiots and their videos are to be watched with the sound OFF.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #279
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

I couldn't see any advantage to writing software to detect a sideloaded epub then disabling internal adjustments.
The Kobo firmware has two different reader applications. One is used for the kepubs purchased from Kobo. The other is used for sideloaded books. This is based on Adobe Reader (or whatever they want to call it). As others have said, both allow customisation of the viewer but respect the CSS in the books. That I think is the correct thing to do.
Quote:
The other alternative was the reviewer was blaming the hardware for a css issue and that just didn't seem possible.
I think you have it right with this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #280
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

I don't have an Aura but the other Kobo devices respect the settings in the epub's stylesheet. If the stylesheet specifies left justification, you will not be able to override it without removing that setting, the same for line spacing, margins, etc. If you remove those settings, you can set them using the sliders. Font sizing can cause some real oddities if the stylesheet specifies font size in absolute terms instead of the recommended relative terms. You can end up with a book where some font sizes can be varied and other are fixed.

Another issue is books that come with embedded fonts. While the display of embedded fonts has improved, you still have fonts that are extremely light when viewed on an eInk display.

A while back there was a discussion about margins where I ended up by editing an epub to generate two versions. The first had my favourite margin settings of 0 while the second used a fairly large fixed margin. The Kobo Glo would not reduce the margins below those set in the stylesheet but could increase them. So one ebook showed margins that went from 0 to 14mm from the edge of screen as the margin slider was moved while the second went from 13mm to 27mm margins (and yes, that made for a rather narrow column of text).

Sample paragraph style from one ebook my wife is reading:

p {
text-indent : 0.4in;
margin-left : 3%;
margin-right : 4%;
text-align : justify;
margin-top : 5pt;
margin-bottom : 5pt;
font-family : "Bookman Old Style";
font-size : 18px;
}

In this example, the text-indent and font-size are in absolute terms while the margins are percentages of the display. Not a recommended mixture. The top and bottom margins are set in points which are generally used with printed materials, not webpages or ebooks.

p {
text-indent : 4%;
line-height: 1.1;
margin-left : 0;
margin-right : 0;
margin-top : 0;
margin-bottom : 0.2em;
font-size : 1em;
}

Above is what I edited the style to look like. The text-indent is now a relative term, margins are set to 0 except for the bottom margin to give a bit of gap between paragraphs and the font size is relative. She can now use her Touch's sliders though for the most part she set them once and now just leaves them alone. The line-height setting gives a tighter line spacing than the Kobo's minimum slider setting which both of us prefer.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 04-21-2013 at 10:42 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #281
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I just played with an Aura at my local Chapters (Near Sherway mall, in Toronto). The screen is suburb and page turns are very fast. I'm not crazy about the plastic Chassis. The salesperson that I spoke to said that I could come in with a microSD to try out PDFs if I'd like, I'll hopefully get a chance to this week. I am very tempted to preorder, I love the screen quality and size.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #282
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
The salesperson that I spoke to said that I could come in with a microSD to try out PDFs if I'd like, I'll hopefully get a chance to this week.
I actually did just that this afternoon (tried out PDF's). It handles a photo heavy 30MB magazine pretty well in terms of page turn etc. I was a little disappointed that the extra screen real estate didn't make as big of difference as I thought it might. No fault of the device, just a limitation of the overall size. I think with a little bit of margin trimming on the PDF's it would work reasonably well for my purposes. Overall seemed like it was quick and worked well. Will likely go ahead with my pre-ordered one and see what it's like. Hard to get an idea of the balance and feel with the security cords attached. I do miss the quilted back .
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:49 AM   #283
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I like what they have done with the home screen but I am surprised that it wasn't rolled out across the Kobo range with the 2.5 update.
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:02 AM   #284
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I'm hoping we will see it on at least the Glo as well. As they are advertising the Aura HD as a limited edition, they might be using the interface to make it a bit more special. Then later releasing to the rest of us.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:22 AM   #285
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'm hoping we will see it on at least the Glo as well. As they are advertising the Aura HD as a limited edition, they might be using the interface to make it a bit more special. Then later releasing to the rest of us.
In that case, the Glo and Mini wouldn't share the same firmware anymore, right? Because, I don't think the new home screen could be a right fit on the Mini's scarce screen real estate
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote