Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-10-2018, 02:42 AM   #16
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
It is considered to by bad manners (or worse) in most forums to post the same question twice in different threads.
This post is duplicate to
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...54#post3680554
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:06 AM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaire View Post
Thank you! That seems to have done the trick. I don't remember having to do that before. Of course, I barely remember my own name these days!
That's kind of the way I am. Every time I have to rebuild something I say to myself "I'm going to write notes this time," and, of course, I never follow through and have to relearn it all over again the next time.

Calibre has an Export/Import feature under it's Library Menu. It would probably be worth exporting (backing up) your library since this process also copies your plugins and their configurations. I exported my library from my main computer, installed Calibre on my laptop and imported my library to the laptop – I was surprised when all the books, and the plugins and plugin settings came over to the new computer without any intervention on my part. So it was immediately working with my Kindle and Kobo DRM files. Then I tried it again, on the Windows partition (I mostly use Linux) and it worked when moving to a different OS as well. Calibre is a fantastic application.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:10 AM   #18
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
It is considered to by bad manners (or worse) in most forums to post the same question twice in different threads.
This post is duplicate to
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...54#post3680554

Moderator Notice
As per Posting Guideline #3.

The discussion in other thread seems to be more substantive, so I'm closing this one.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:36 AM   #19
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

Moderator Notice
As per Posting Guideline #3.

The discussion in other thread seems to be more substantive, so I'm closing this one.

BR
Moderator Notice
Since I have super powers that BetterRed doesn't, I've merged the threads, and moved the merged thread to the general calibre forum. It certainly wasn't appropriate in News, and not really relevant to calibre/devices.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:41 AM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaire View Post
Thank you! That seems to have done the trick. I don't remember having to do that before. Of course, I barely remember my own name these days!

Thanks SO much! And, I'm writing all of my books to optical disks!
Optical disks introduce their own issues. If you back directly to CD/DVD, the files become Read Only. If you first Zip the Library, Unzip leaves the Library status alone.
Right-click the Library Icon: Export backs up your Librarie(s) AND Settings folder into spanned zips. copy those to DVD.

BTW store those DVD's in the dark, the dye can fade.

The 'Offsite' point is relevant. Fire, Flood, Tornado, can remove the most diligent backup in moments.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:29 PM   #21
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Since I have super powers that BetterRed doesn't, I've merged the threads, and moved the merged thread to the general calibre forum. It certainly wasn't appropriate in News, and not really relevant to calibre/devices.

Perhaps you should change your avatar to "Mighty Mouse".
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:50 PM   #22
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
After I convert books I movie copies to another folder and back up on a flash drive sadly I lost the flash drive lol
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:09 PM   #23
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
That's kind of the way I am. Every time I have to rebuild something I say to myself "I'm going to write notes this time," and, of course, I never follow through and have to relearn it all over again the next time.

Calibre has an Export/Import feature under it's Library Menu. It would probably be worth exporting (backing up) your library since this process also copies your plugins and their configurations. I exported my library from my main computer, installed Calibre on my laptop and imported my library to the laptop – I was surprised when all the books, and the plugins and plugin settings came over to the new computer without any intervention on my part. So it was immediately working with my Kindle and Kobo DRM files. Then I tried it again, on the Windows partition (I mostly use Linux) and it worked when moving to a different OS as well. Calibre is a fantastic application.
I'm running Calibre 2.0 and don't think I have the export function with that version.

I've been thinking about upgrading my Calibre, but would like to know which one is the most recent 'stable' version to do so. Any recommendations?
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:34 PM   #24
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
I'm running Calibre 2.0 and don't think I have the export function with that version.

I've been thinking about upgrading my Calibre, but would like to know which one is the most recent 'stable' version to do so. Any recommendations?
Is there a reason you are not on 3.x?
Old 04-15-2018, 07:40 PM   #25
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

The one from the calibre website is always the most recent and the most stable.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:57 PM   #26
JessieLC24
JessieLC24 began at the beginning.

Device: Win10 Laptop(x64), Galaxy Note 8, Kindle Fire 10 HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
that s correct - they are "rented", technically. but take the troubel to learn how to use the tools to convert them as a one off to unprotected books then you can safely burn copies to media or write to disk and they will work next time you change PC
the smart workflow is buy - download - immediately remove protection - save unprotecedd copies to archive(s) ... then you are safe no matter what amazon may do. even if you upset them badly enough to lose your account, those previous purchases .
are safely in your hands
I also convert the unprotected books to epub and safe that also, so you can use any make of e-reader
you may also be able to get a copy of your entire calibre library into dropbox, google drive etc for free, depends how big it is. i trimmed mine to under 2Gb so that I could do that, by taking a hard line on what I was realistically ever likely to want to read again this lifetime
I use Kindle for PC version 1.21 and follow JHowells thread about how to use Kindle books w Calibre. This way I make sure to download all books as something Calibre will handle. I also upload ALL my books Calibre and kindle and other formats to OneDrive or Google Drive, DropBox etc...the wise reader backs up their ebooks!
JessieLC24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:01 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

There is no unstable version. Just install the newest version.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:05 PM   #28
MarcoDiWA
MarcoDiWA began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
With the current Alf I can convert currently
downloaded Kindle books and get into Calibre. But I don't seem to be able to do it with the older Kindle books from several years ago. Any suggestions here? Thanks
MarcoDiWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:20 PM   #29
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoDiWA View Post
With the current Alf I can convert currently
downloaded Kindle books and get into Calibre. But I don't seem to be able to do it with the older Kindle books from several years ago. Any suggestions here? Thanks
Did you have a different kindle id back then?
Old 05-30-2018, 06:36 PM   #30
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Did you have a different kindle id back then?
Or possibly file format if they are really old - maybe TOPAZ?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote