Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-20-2017, 12:06 PM   #16
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As for Bookerly, I am surprised about it. It has a few flaws that can be fixed but should not need to be fixed.

If you are using Bookerly not with a Kindle, you might find an issue with bold italics because of a mistake in the font's metadata. Also, the weight is too weak. It can be increased with a good font editor or a Kobo Reader.
From what I remember, Bookerly is so close to Literata/Noto Serif that it wasn't worth installing on a non-Kindle, at least to me.

I'm not saying they're not different. Just the differences don't amount to much to me when it comes to reading.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 03-20-2017 at 12:09 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:15 PM   #17
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
From what I remember, Bookerly is so close to Literata/Noto Serif that it wasn't worth installing on a non-Kindle, at least to me.
The italics are noticably different in Bookerly vs. Literata vs. Noto Serif, though.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
The italics are noticeably different in Bookerly vs. Literata vs. Noto Serif, though.
So are the numbers. I don't like the differing sizes for the numbers in Literata. That would bother me.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:57 PM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
The italics are noticably different in Bookerly vs. Literata vs. Noto Serif, though.
True. What's weird is Noto Serif italics seem more like Bookerly italics.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:14 PM   #20
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Literata's italics are weirdly non-slanted. But I really like them.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:19 PM   #21
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
My favorite fonts are ones that are available on my devices. There is no option for me to use anything else. I have used caecelia since my first ebook since that is all that was on the first kindle. . I still like that today, although I often use bookerly now as I like how its set on the page overall better. But caecelia has a bit more boldness to it.

So caecelia and bookerly are my favorite fonts to read with.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:03 AM   #22
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
I like my modified version of Charis SIL called ChareInk. It's got added weight for eInk screen and I've added kerning. You can get it on MR at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056
I will also praise ChareInk.
I like my fonts quite heavy, so I even use it on my iPads.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:49 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
My favorite fonts are ones that are available on my devices. There is no option for me to use anything else. I have used caecelia since my first ebook since that is all that was on the first kindle. . I still like that today, although I often use bookerly now as I like how its set on the page overall better. But caecelia has a bit more boldness to it.

So caecelia and bookerly are my favorite fonts to read with.
You can embed other fonts and then select Publisher Fonts and you will be reading with the embedded font. It's not difficult at all to embed. You can do it using the Calibre editor and then subset the fonts so to make the fonts take less space. if you'd like help doing so, just say and we'll give you some code examples.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:15 AM   #24
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
After experimenting a lot with Georgia, Bookerly and Literata, I've finally decided to stick with Noto serif as my default serif font for prolonged reading sessions. Of course the ChareInk is another good option on my Kobo, and I will be waiting for its new version.

For the sans serif fonts, I use Exo and Scene (licensed), which work flawlessly after adjusting their weights in the Kobo's font settings. Occasionally using the sans serif fonts on my ereader gives me a good feeling of taste-change.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:04 AM   #25
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
A number feel that darker fonts work best on e-ink displays. I use the "Stone Serif Regular", but it has a good Semi Bold version.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:21 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
A number feel that darker fonts work best on e-ink displays. I use the "Stone Serif Regular", but it has a good Semi Bold version.

Luck;
Ken
I do feel that a font with more weight works best on an eInk display. I've seen a Kindle Paperwhite 7th gen and I find that Bookerly is a bit light.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:49 AM   #27
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
After experimenting a lot with Georgia, Bookerly and Literata, I've finally decided to stick with Noto serif as my default serif font for prolonged reading sessions. Of course the ChareInk is another good option on my Kobo, and I will be waiting for its new version.
I'm another fan of Noto Serif. Have you tried Gerge's slightly heavier Noto Serif? It's a slight adjustment, but enough to make the font appear darker on an e-ink screen. It's available here.

I think I'll try JSWolf's ChareInk. I do keep hearing good things about it.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:25 AM   #28
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I need sans-serif fonts to be able to read easily. One problem with a lot of them is they have a capital i that looks like a lower case l. I found Clear Sans last year and it has a good capital i and a medium weight as well. The medium weight looks great on eink.

https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/clear-sans

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-09-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:35 PM   #29
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
You can embed other fonts and then select Publisher Fonts and you will be reading with the embedded font. It's not difficult at all to embed. You can do it using the Calibre editor and then subset the fonts so to make the fonts take less space. if you'd like help doing so, just say and we'll give you some code examples.
None of that is an option for me. I use calibre only as a backup and have no clue about any editor or anything else that program does. You say code and I say, huh? subset? huh?

I get my books from amazon and download them that way. I want to be able to just read, sync, have everything at my fingertip. I don't have any issues really with the fonts on the kindle, although I could at times use one in between sizes. But again, fiddling with stuff in that way is not an option for me. Might not be difficult for some of you, doesn't mean its not difficult for me and others like me.

I think overall kindles have done a great job making readable fonts. I like devices that just work and don't require constant fiddling and "hacking" and whatever else one has to do.

So I stick with bookerly and caecelia as great readable fonts. Which is really all that matters to me and my worsening eyes.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:13 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The problem is that as some people's eyes change, they need more contrast and Kindle's do not provide enough contrast with most of the system fonts.