Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-18-2017, 06:46 PM   #1
Yodo
Yodo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Your favourite font, share it!

Which font do you prefer and why? Does it help you for a long run reading?
Yodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:58 PM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
A similar thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...highlight=font
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:03 AM   #3
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
I use Literata in Bookari on my Samsung tablet. On my Kindle, I alternate frequently between Bookerly and Caecilia. I really like Bookerly but if my eyes are tired I prefer the weight of Caecilia. I think font makes a huge difference. I've started removing publisher-embedded fonts when I strip DRM because I usually find them very distracting and not conducive to immersive reading.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:58 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Whatever the publisher chooses.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:14 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElspethB View Post
I use Literata in Bookari on my Samsung tablet. On my Kindle, I alternate frequently between Bookerly and Caecilia. I really like Bookerly but if my eyes are tired I prefer the weight of Caecilia. I think font makes a huge difference. I've started removing publisher-embedded fonts when I strip DRM because I usually find them very distracting and not conducive to immersive reading.
You know that, on the Kindle, you can simply turn the "use publisher fonts" option off? That way it'll ignore any fonts specified in the book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:16 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElspethB View Post
If you like Literata, try Google's Noto Serif font, specifically Gerge's slightly heavier version available here.

Literata and Noto are almost identical (and Bookerly is very similar as well), but when I had all three installed, I preferred Noto on my e-ink screen.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:45 PM   #7
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodo View Post
Which font do you prefer and why? Does it help you for a long run reading?
I like to use different fonts for different books, different reading conditions, and different moods. Most important to me is being able to sideload new fonts to the device (rather than embedding them in each individual book) so I can easily switch between them, and since most fonts have mistakes and omissions, being able to correct and tweak the font using a program like fontforge.

Caudex is one I use quite often, especially for reading fantasy.

I like EB Garamond (12pt) in good light or at a large size setting.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:32 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I like my modified version of Charis SIL called ChareInk. It's got added weight for eInk screen and I've added kerning. You can get it on MR at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:53 PM   #9
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Depending on my mood, I am usually on Malabar, Noto Serif or Bookerly.

But I use different typefaces with my tablet. Palatino, Sabon and FF Yoga usually.

But I really like Malabar among the Kobo reader typefaces. Bookerly is nice too, but feels to rough sometimes. Malabar strikes a nice balance.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:54 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I like my modified version of Charis SIL called ChareInk. It's got added weight for eInk screen and I've added kerning. You can get it on MR at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056

Because of the added weight, it comes with a free carrying case to protect the fonts.

Seriously: Thanks for the work on this, Jon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carrying Case.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	155755  
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:08 AM   #11
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Once I got used to Bookerly, I have a hard time using anything else, even Caecillia.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:16 AM   #12
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
I love ChareInk. I started using it on Oasis. Today I added it to Aura One as well. It's the best font I have used so far. Thanks again JSWolf!
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:16 AM   #13
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
+1 for ChareInk. It's my standard font as well. I tried lots of others over the years, but I keep returning to it.

Thanks for creating it, Jon
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:53 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did have a different version of Charis SIL but When I got my H2O, I wasn't happy with it on a high resolution Carta screen. It didn't have enough weight and it was hinted. Hinted seems to work better with a 800x600 eInk screen. Plus, Charis SIL was updated so I decided to start over. I'm still tweaking the kerning. I'll be posting a newer version this week sometime after some more tweaking.

And to all who use ChareInk, your welcome.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:39 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

As for Bookerly, I am surprised about it. It has a few flaws that can be fixed but should not need to be fixed.

If you are using Bookerly not with a Kindle, you might find an issue with bold italics because of a mistake in the font's metadata. Also, the weight is too weak. It can be increased with a good font editor or a Kobo Reader.