Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-17-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
goblinbox
*****istratrix
goblinbox began at the beginning.

Device: K2, iThing
The 2.5 Update: Love it or leave it?

I'd like to hear everyone's reviews of the 2.5 update: Good? Bad? Meh? Useful? Moronic? The coolest thing evar?
goblinbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
No great shakes! The key feature (Collections) is one of many features that the now discontinued Sony PRS-505 had on day one of its release. The Kindle is still way way behind. Soon after the Kindle was released, several lists were drawn up in this and other forums of what a Kindle update could/should include. In this latest update, Amazon addressed only a fraction (if that) of the feedback.
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 03:04 PM   #3
goblinbox
*****istratrix

I got the 2.5 update on my K2i on Friday. When I looked at my Kindle and saw that it was updating, I nearly broke my face grinning. Boy, was I ever excited! Collections! Zooming! Social media! zOMG!

By the time I'd finished my tea it had rebooted and I started playing with it... and, um, yeah. Not so awesome.

The Collections feature isn't a feature. It's awkward to add books to a collection and it doesn't accomplish anything when you do. Sure, I now have a folder called "Sci-fi," but it's seven pages deep on the Home page. How is it a feature, clicking seven times to get to a folder I then have to page through to find the book I want?

I'd prefer it if adding an item to a Collection would remove it from the home page, thank you very much. [Update: I stand corrected. This feature does work if you select to sort by Collections.]

Twitter and Facebook. I am a social media junkie. I tweet all the time, and I check FB at least daily. I was excited about the social networking, to say the least.

Sending an item from the Kindle to Twitter results in a tweet that looks like this. Not very awesome. You have to click through to see the quote. I didn't bother trying the FB post.

The website. Okay, I have to admit that http://kindle.amazon.com is kinda cute. But what does it do? I mean, really? I logged in and classified all my books into reading, read, to read, and quit reading. And... now what? I have virtually no reason to ever visit the site again.

Zooming. Handy for viewing images, but if you have a very dense PDF full of text it won't help with that.

Password protection. Love it! I was traveling over the weekend and passworded my Kindle in case it was lost or stolen.

Popular highlights. This feature is activated, but it hasn't done anything yet as far as I can tell.

Font sizes. Are there now more HUGE fonts? Not useful to me, really.

If there are any other features, I haven't noticed them.

Over all, this update has brought the Kindle into 2010, sure, but while I approve of the ideas I feel that the implementation still needs a little tweaking.

Last edited by goblinbox; 05-17-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
ehunyadi
ehunyadi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I'm disappointed to read these reviews of 2.5. I was really excited for the changes, but finding out that the books in the folders still stay in the root is disturbing. I would have hoped for moving the books into the folders instead of just adding folders to an already 10 page long list on my K2.

Also, the Twitter and Facebook features were something I was looking forward to.
ehunyadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno
Bluesman7 doesn't litterBluesman7 doesn't litter

I was mainly looking forward to the enhancements to PDF viewing as none of the other features really do anything for me personally.

As mentioned above, the PDF enhancements are somewhat useful but don't achieve the result I was hoping for...(The ability to scale/reflow a page or choose a larger font.)

So for me, the update was much ado about nothing.

Still waiting for the update to be sent to my wife's Kindle (which is on the same account). Not sure how they go about figuring the download order.

Last edited by Bluesman7; 05-17-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Bluesman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by goblinbox View Post
The Collections feature isn't a feature. It's awkward to add books to a collection and it doesn't accomplish anything when you do. Sure, I now have a folder called "Sci-fi," but it's seven pages deep on the Home page. How is it a feature, clicking seven times to get to a folder I then have to page through to find the book I want?

I'd prefer it if adding an item to a Collection would remove it from the home page, thank you very much.
This description makes me a lot less enthusiastic about collections. Is there a way to browse only collections in the sort menu or anything?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
I've put about 300 books of my 700 into about 25 "collections" and now adding or deleting titles from the device takes approximately 2 minutes for each item. Disconnecting from USB now requires a 2-4 minute wheel spin while it evidently verifies the collections with anything that was added or removed while connected.

This really renders the collections "feature" pretty useless. I think I'm going to delete them in favor of a peppy device.
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #8
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

still waiting
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerio6414 View Post
still waiting
Me too
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:56 PM   #10
RamTheHammer
RamTheHammer began at the beginning.

From the sound of it Collections is a bit of a bust!
RamTheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:06 PM   #11
synlor
synlor has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle DX
You can make it so you only see the collections and the books that aren't in a collection only. These directions are for the DX, but I would guess it would be similar on a kindle 2. When on the home screen, press up until the line that says "Show all * Items" on the left and "By title", "By author", or "By most recent first" is highlighted. Press right on the joystick, and you'll see several options, go over and select "Collections" and then press the joystick down. Now you should see all your collections on the top of the home screen, and any books/magazines that aren't categorized underneath them. The books that are in a collection don't show up anymore.

One note is that the order the collections show up in this mode is by most recent first. That is the last collection you went into will be at the top, the second last collection will be the second from the top and so on.

Hope this helps!
synlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #12
goblinbox
*****istratrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by synlor View Post
You can make it so you only see the collections and the books that aren't in a collection only.
It did help! You're a lovely, lovely genius.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #13
goblinbox
*****istratrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
This description makes me a lot less enthusiastic about collections. Is there a way to browse only collections in the sort menu or anything?
Please chalk my Collections review up to embarrassing operator error. Thanks to @synlor's directions, the Collections feature works the way one would expect it to.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:16 PM   #14
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by synlor View Post
You can make it so you only see the collections and the books that aren't in a collection only. These directions are for the DX, but I would guess it would be similar on a kindle 2. When on the home screen, press up until the line that says "Show all * Items" on the left and "By title", "By author", or "By most recent first" is highlighted. Press right on the joystick, and you'll see several options, go over and select "Collections" and then press the joystick down. Now you should see all your collections on the top of the home screen, and any books/magazines that aren't categorized underneath them. The books that are in a collection don't show up anymore.

One note is that the order the collections show up in this mode is by most recent first. That is the last collection you went into will be at the top, the second last collection will be the second from the top and so on.

Hope this helps!
That is great, but now I am back to checking my settings every 10 minutes!!!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:21 PM   #15
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno
Bluesman7 doesn't litterBluesman7 doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoglick View Post
I've put about 300 books of my 700 into about 25 "collections" and now adding or deleting titles from the device takes approximately 2 minutes for each item. Disconnecting from USB now requires a 2-4 minute wheel spin while it evidently verifies the collections with anything that was added or removed while connected.

This really renders the collections "feature" pretty useless. I think I'm going to delete them in favor of a peppy device.
I think I'll continue to pick my books out with Calibre and then look up my books on the Kindle the old fashioned way...That's just way too much hassle for a feature with dubious utility on a regular basis.
Bluesman7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.5, kindle, update