Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-29-2018, 02:48 AM   #1
Heba
Connoisseur
Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle DX, Hanvon C18 and Sony Dpt-S1
Post An e ink device for web browsing?

By now, is there any device good for web browsing yet? My Kindle voyage is fast but the font is too small with no way to enlarge it. My Sony DPT-S1 is large, but insanely slow for browsing. Is any of the e ink devices on the market good enough for browsing? Reading articles from LCDs and OLEDs is killing my eyes

Thanks
Heba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:53 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Simple answer: no.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2018, 04:11 AM   #3
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Hello, I share your pain so I understand very well your need. Yes there are good ereaders for browsing, the Boox Max 2, which is a 13.3 inch ereader that can be used as an hdmi monitor, or Onyx Boox Note which is more like a tablet at 10.3 inches.

They both have quad core processors and 2gb of ram, and have an a2 mode, but it seems even in normal mode they are fairly capable of a decent browsing experience.

Here is the best video I could find of the Max 2 internet browsing:

https://youtu.be/pcUzGQQUlJA (In Japanese but the only good video)

Here is the Note (shows browsing at 9:50):

https://youtu.be/mW_tw87-PEc

Both videos are showing a2 mode (which disables the flashing of the screen to refresh it). It’s a recent android, especially on the Note. You can use wireless keyboard and mouse also I suppose.

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 03-29-2018 at 04:25 AM.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:14 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
Hello, I share your pain so I understand very well your need. Yes there are good ereaders for browsing, the Boox Max 2, which is a 13.3 inch ereader that can be used as an hdmi monitor, or Onyx Boox Note which is more like a tablet at 10.3 inches.
If the OP is dissatisfied with the speed of the Sony for browsing, I see no reason to suppose he'd be any happier with either of the choices you mention. Both are still extremely slow compared to the typical tablet.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:49 AM   #5
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If the OP is dissatisfied with the speed of the Sony for browsing, I see no reason to suppose he'd be any happier with either of the choices you mention. Both are still extremely slow compared to the typical tablet.
Have you seen the dpt-s1 browsing? The page refresh is incredibly cumbersome:

https://youtu.be/oPT75YLPyWY (10:40)

You can completely disable refresh on the Boox devices. There is no comparison. Furthermore, as I said, the Max 2 can be used as a monitor, which at least takes away the page loading times.

The following quote is from the Good e reader review of the Note:

Quote:
I’ve seen a lot of ereaders that really struggle with web browsing, this, you’re just swiping, and, it’s fast. If you click, say like on a link, loads pretty quickly.
Advert
Old 03-29-2018, 04:56 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
Have you seen the dpt-s1 browsing? The page refresh is incredibly cumbersome:

https://youtu.be/oPT75YLPyWY (10:40)
When the newer Sony model (the DPT-RP1) was released which everyone said was so much faster, I looked at it from the perspective of using it as a PDF reader, but the videos I found of it still showed 2-3s page turns, which I couldn't live with. I'd suggest that the OP finds videos of the devices you mention and sees for himself what the performance is like. We all have different tolerances when it comes to these things!
Old 03-29-2018, 05:35 AM   #7
Waiting4somethin
Addict

Quote:
When the newer Sony model (the DPT-RP1) was released which everyone said was so much faster, I looked at it from the perspective of using it as a PDF reader, but the videos I found of it still showed 2-3s page turns, which I couldn't live with.
Your post demonstrates your experience of the Sony device not living up to other people’s stated opinions, but i posted videos of Sony, and Boox devices, you and anyone else can make a comparison.

Quote:
I'd suggest that the OP finds videos of the devices you mention and sees for himself what the performance is like. We all have different tolerances when it comes to these things!
Absolutely, though I did post videos, it is helpful to watch more, of course. The op may well require the speed of a tablet, but if he has eye strain his tolerance may be more, hence my post.

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 03-29-2018 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Unhelpful wording
Old 03-29-2018, 07:00 AM   #8
Waiting4somethin
Addict

Quote:
When the newer Sony model (the DPT-RP1) was released which everyone said was so much faster, I looked at it from the perspective of using it as a PDF reader, but the videos I found of it still showed 2-3s page turns, which I couldn't live with.
That’s a shame about the Sony. I can’t live with those kind of page turns either.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:44 AM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heba View Post
Reading articles from LCDs and OLEDs is killing my eyes
If it's just reading articles, you could save the articles to Pocket and read them on a Kobo. It's not something I use myself, so I don't have a lot of knowledge. But Pocket is built in to Firefox and Kobo.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:04 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
When the newer Sony model (the DPT-RP1) was released which everyone said was so much faster, I looked at it from the perspective of using it as a PDF reader, but the videos I found of it still showed 2-3s page turns, which I couldn't live with. I'd suggest that the OP finds videos of the devices you mention and sees for himself what the performance is like. We all have different tolerances when it comes to these things!
The A2 mode is a significant change for E Ink devices. They have always spec'd a pure black and white mode with greater performance potential than gray scale but only recently has anyone tried to take advantage of this mode. Black and white is single bit, no aliasing, but can produce a screen in 120 msec vs 450 in gray scale Carta and 600 msec in Pearl. It is also less prone to need a refresh. I do not believe Sony supports an A2 mode. By the way, A2 mode is horrible for pictures.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:25 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The A2 mode is a significant change for E Ink devices. They have always spec'd a pure black and white mode with greater performance potential than gray scale but only recently has anyone tried to take advantage of this mode.
It's been around for a few years now. I had an Onyx T68 quite a few years back which supported it, for example. As you rightly note, it's ok for text, but no use whatsoever for pictures, and most modern websites are heavily dependent on images.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:48 PM   #12
Heba
Connoisseur
Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks everyone. I just want to add that page turn speed is usually fine for me. However, for some reason DPT-S1 usually takes forever to load a webpage. I don't care much about images of a web page but I just wanna be able to read text from a web browser (not just read offline pdfs or so)
Old 03-29-2018, 04:33 PM   #13
Waiting4somethin
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heba View Post
Thanks everyone. I just want to add that page turn speed is usually fine for me. However, for some reason DPT-S1 usually takes forever to load a webpage. I don't care much about images of a web page but I just wanna be able to read text from a web browser (not just read offline pdfs or so)
To be able to read the text on pages with a lot of scripting, video and images, the ereader needs to have a good processor, or those pages will take a long time to load. So I would say the Note or Max2 is probably the best bet. You could try the n96ml+ which has only 1ghz/1gb specs, and reports and videos give the impression that loading is slow, but it does have option to disable refreshing.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:19 PM   #14
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
You could try with pixel qi screens, they don't have issues with refresh
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 03:16 PM   #15
Heba
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by danicca View Post
You could try with pixel qi screens, they don't have issues with refresh
I thought they were discontinued? If not, where can I buy one, please?

Tags
browsing, e ink, e ink reader, web browsing