Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
brontus
Enthusiast
brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, Kindle Fire, Aldiko on LG Optimus Elite
Lulu Validation Errors

I created an epub in Sigil 0.7.2 that uses a 3-part chapter system. The book is broken up into Part, Chapter, Sub-chapter. I used the formatting system of H1 for the Parts, H2 for the Chapters, and H3 for the subchapters ( as outlined by Lulu, as well as being the common sense approach). Chapters are new files, but sub-chapters are contained within each file for the chapter and referenced with a Sigil-generated id created when I had Sigil auto-generate a Table of Contents. Epub was validated with both Flightcrew and Epubcheck with no errors found by either.

When uploaded to Lulu I get the dreaded: "The table of contents contains one or more links without text" error. The error log file is filled with these two errors:
  • ERROR: IOException: Unresolved external XML entity: 'http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd' in OEBPS/Text/Section0004.xhtml
  • ERROR: Unable to locate element with id 'sigil_toc_id_1' in OEBPS/toc.ncx
The first error is for each chapter that has a sub-chapter (total of 11 - so OEBPS/Text/Section0004.xhtml through OEBPS/Text/Section00016.xhtml minus 11 and 14 for the page dedicated to declaring Parts II and III). The second error is for each and every anchor tag pointing to a subchapter (total of 51 - so sigil_toc_id_1 through sigil_toc_id_51.

Has anyone figured out a way around this without me having to resort to creating new files for each of my 51 sub-chapters to avoid anchors in the toc.ncx?

Last edited by brontus; 01-15-2014 at 11:52 AM.
brontus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:34 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontus View Post
I created an epub in Sigil 0.7.2 that uses a 3-part chapter system. The book is broken up into Part, Chapter, Sub-chapter. I used the formatting system of H1 for the Parts, H2 for the Chapters, and H3 for the subchapters ( as outlined by Lulu, as well as being the common sense approach). Chapters are new files, but sub-chapters are contained within each file for the chapter and referenced with a Sigil-generated id created when I had Sigil auto-generate a Table of Contents. Epub was validated with both Flightcrew and Epubcheck with no errors found by either.

When uploaded to Lulu I get the dreaded: "The table of contents contains one or more links without text" error. The error log file is filled with these two errors:
  • ERROR: IOException: Unresolved external XML entity: 'http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd' in OEBPS/Text/Section0004.xhtml
  • ERROR: Unable to locate element with id 'sigil_toc_id_1' in OEBPS/toc.ncx
The first error is for each chapter that has a sub-chapter (total of 11 - so OEBPS/Text/Section0004.xhtml through OEBPS/Text/Section00016.xhtml minus 11 and 14 for the page dedicated to declaring Parts II and III). The second error is for each and every anchor tag pointing to a subchapter (total of 51 - so sigil_toc_id_1 through sigil_toc_id_51.

Has anyone figured out a way around this without me having to resort to creating new files for each of my 51 sub-chapters to avoid anchors in the toc.ncx?
Rebuild the TOC (NCX) using the TOC editor in calibre.

The Sigil in the error is because someone changed the book after building the NCX with Sigil (or LuLu is another with a lame validator tool)

Sub-chapter? Or just multiple chapters per file?

A mid chapter TOC point might be desired to allow jumping to a in stream Map or diagram
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2014, 05:09 PM   #3
brontus
Enthusiast
brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

I tried using Calibre, both the book editor to rebuild the TOC and also doing an epub to epub conversion. Rebuilding the TOC removed about half of the errors for some reason. I tried rebuilding the TOC in Calibre several more times to no avail.

Considering I am the only one working on this file and I generally don't touch the toc.ncx unless there is a problem, I'll vote for LuLu having a lame validator tool.

Would you prefer the term "subheading?" These sections are definately not chapters in their own right but simply a part of the chapter dealing with a specific theme. Here is a sample:

Quote:
PREFACE
INTRODUCTION
Part I - Scientific Aspects
I - COMMUNICATION
1.1 VERBAL COMMUNICATION
1.2 COMMUNICATION IN L2
1.3 LANGUAGE AND COMMUNICATION
1.4 LEXICON AND COMMUNICATION
1.5 NATURAL AND SCHOOL ENVIRONMENT
1.6 THE STAGES OF ACQUISTION OF L2
1.7 BILINGUALISM AND COMMUNICATION
II - MEMORY
2.1 THE MECHANISMS OF MEMORY
2.2 HOW MEMORY WORKS
Old 01-15-2014, 06:29 PM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
You could try epubcheck online. It will generate a number of errors which are not useful as well, but there might be one which points the way...or confirms their validation is bunk. At which point you can email them.

Hm. Did you use capitals for the h1, h2, h3 tags?
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:42 PM   #5
brontus
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
You could try epubcheck online. It will generate a number of errors which are not useful as well, but there might be one which points the way...or confirms their validation is bunk. At which point you can email them.

Hm. Did you use capitals for the h1, h2, h3 tags?
It passes both epubcheck and flightcrew. Only fails on Lulu's crappy software. They are aware of the issue, but they simply don't care. Their advice is to use their converter to convert from a docx file. Their auto-converter is why I was hired in the first place! Stupid thing created 75000+ lines of junk code PER CHAPTER.

No, all tags are lowercase.

I did wind up splitting the files so that each subchapter was a different file to get the stupid thing to pass.
Advert
Old 01-16-2014, 07:09 AM   #6
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I use subchapters, maybe more like subheadings, all the time in my Sony. Never caused me a spec of trouble. But I don't do books for sale, so I am spared the headaches that you are having.

If you want to see some even worse headaches are with selling, check out Hitch's posts. Glad you go it through the mill. I hope you have the sales to justify the headaches!
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:20 PM   #7
stepheno
stepheno has met Morla.stepheno has met Morla.stepheno has met Morla.stepheno has met Morla.stepheno has met Morla.stepheno has met Morla.stepheno has met Morla.stepheno has met Morla.stepheno has met Morla.stepheno has met Morla.stepheno has met Morla.

Device: iPad, iPad mini, Samsung tablet, Galaxy S5 phone
I know this is an older post, and I'm adding a solution that may assist someone else.

I had the error Bronte notes and discovered that I had a <h1>&nbsp;</h1> entry in a page. It was showing a blank entry in the Table of Contents and Lulu then found error with all following TOC entries.

I changed the tag to <p>&nbsp;</p> and the file then passed Lulu's checks.
stepheno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:20 AM   #8
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Thanks for the input Stepheno. I would like to add on to your piece of advice, though. Please do NOT use <p>&nbsp;</p> as a way to create space between lines/paragraphs/tables/divs/blockquotes/etc. Some devices completely ignore them (defeating your purpose in putting them there), while others will display them but make the extra space look funky.

It is a much better idea to simply include the extra space in your css styling. For ecxample:

Code:
p.SpaceBefore {margin-top:2em}
div, blockquote, table {margin-top:2em; margin-bottom:2em}

<p>Normal paragraph.</p>
<p>Normal paragraph.</p>
<p>Normal paragraph.</p>
<p>Normal paragraph.</p>
<p class="SpaceBefore">Paragraph with extra space before it.</p>
<p>Normal paragraph.</p>
<p>Normal paragraph.</p>
<p>Normal paragraph.</p>
<blockquote>