Enthusiast
apoiata began at the beginning.

Device: none
Cover picture.

Why Sigil User Guide has 2 html files relate cover:

1. Cover.html
2. Cover_picture html

They look the same.

Probably same question I have related to TOC.
1. There is TOC.xhtml file
2. There is another TOC which is generated in Tools->Table of contents
apoiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:36 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I can't answer the first one (I never read the guide), but I can the second. Those are two different TOC's. In ePUB2 there must be an NCX file, which is used at TOC. Without it, the ePUB2 is not valid. The NCX can be generated/updated with the second option. That is also the TOC you can see on the right panel of your screen (usually). Your reading application or reader must support the NCX and uses that to display the TOC.

In ePUB3 the NCX is deprecated, but allowed for backwards compatibility. Version 3 of ePUB uses a XHTML file for the TOC. That is the other one. For an ePUB2 it has no real added value, although some publishers and editors will still put it in anyway. Some find it pleasant to have a real TOC as well as the NCX version. It can have some uses.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:20 AM   #3
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
From looking at the underlying code in the user guide pages --- it looks as though Cover.html is simply an .html page containing the cover image.

Cover_picture.html also contains the cover image, and is linked to the CSS stylesheet, PLUS has a heading that allows it to be added into the auto-generated Table Of Contents.
Code:
<h1 class="nodisplay" title="Cover">&nbsp;</h1>
Cover.html might be superfluous, but I haven't read through the guide carefully either. Maybe it is used as an example in the section on adding covers.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:21 PM   #4
apoiata
Enthusiast
apoiata began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
From looking at the underlying code in the user guide pages --- it looks as though Cover.html is simply an .html page containing the cover image.

Cover.html might be superfluous, but I haven't read through the guide carefully either. Maybe it is used as an example in the section on adding covers.
I have only one explanation. May be Cover.html or Cover_picture.html is used as a cover picture on virtual shelf and another file is used inside the book.
Similarly at TOC can be in 2 places: as internal TOC which is mandatory for epub and TOC as html page which can be viewed inside the book.
apoiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:41 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The cover page can be named in any way a user likes. The two different ones in the manual are simply two different examples of cover pages. A cover page can contain any combination of text and images a user desires (though a single image-only is more typical).The point is: there is no one correct way to make a cover page.

The NCX vs HTML ToC is more of a general epub question than it is a Sigil question. Gaining more understanding of basic EPUB structure/creation/specifications will go a long way toward understanding many of Sigil's features. Properly utilizing many of Sigil's various features assumes a basic knowledge of EPUB design.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:00 PM   #6
FAMOsa
FAMOsa began at the beginning.

cover page isn't the cover

I am in the process of creating my first book using Sigil. I have an image that I want as the cover. That is, what readers will see on their bookshelf. I put this image in a file called Cover and added the semantics "cover page" I also have a title page with another image and a little text.

However when I open these in an eBook reader the Cover is NO DATA, the files I made for cover page and title page appear when the book opens.

How do I get my chosen cover image on the cover of the book?

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 8.44.31 AM.png
Views:	115
Size:	775.8 KB
ID:	158824  
FAMOsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:55 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAMOsa View Post
I am in the process of creating my first book using Sigil. I have an image that I want as the cover. That is, what readers will see on their bookshelf. I put this image in a file called Cover and added the semantics "cover page" I also have a title page with another image and a little text.

However when I open these in an eBook reader the Cover is NO DATA, the files I made for cover page and title page appear when the book opens.

How do I get my chosen cover image on the cover of the book?

Thank you.
Both the FILE (must only be for a cover) and the image used on it must have the semantics set to Cover
If you had used Tools: add cover to insert an image, the semantis would have been properly set
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:16 PM   #8
FAMOsa
FAMOsa began at the beginning.

Thank you, that worked.
FAMOsa is offline   Reply With Quote