Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-21-2022, 10:27 PM   #1
WestCactus
Zealot
WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Oasis 1 & 3, Fire 8
Permanently Deleting Kindle Books rant

Why does Amazon have a setting to permanently delete purchased kindle books. I was trying to delete the library downloaded to a Fire. I thought I clicked delete from device. I guess I was tired and permanently deleted about 15 books which I can’t remember the titles. There should be an undelete option!

I guess I need to start using calibre to save off line. Lesson learned.

Rant over!
WestCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:15 PM   #2
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Yes, I don't like the option either due to accidents. Sorry on the lost books!
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2022, 05:25 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Don't trust the Cloud. Download local to Windows/Mac/Linux, don't rely on gadget. Then make backups (not on Flash, but plain HDD that's not helium, shingled or other fancy methods to increase storage). There is a longer story about backups to avoid trojans, ransom-ware, fire, flood and theft.

I'd certainly delete samples. I'd also like to be able to turn off "direct delivery" to the Kindle (app or ereader) which seems to happen if you "sync" even if you chose "Download to PC" initially.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:39 AM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCactus View Post
Why does Amazon have a setting to permanently delete purchased kindle books.
I like this option. Why wade through deadwood when you can get rd of it permanently? And, oy, when I think back on all those freebies I purchased before I came to my senses. Far better that they be gone.

Kobo’s got an option to archive books, so you don’t see them but you still own them and can retrieve them, which provides a soft option. Still, mostly I know my mind.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:28 PM   #5
Kusuri
Connoisseur
Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4+Fire 7", Onyx Boox Nova Air
best you can do is.. contact the support over chat or telephone. i'm sure they can reverse the deletion manually.

i really like that feature since you often have books you don't want anymore and can then remove them from your account if you don't need or want them anymore. years ago i bought a lot of crappy books that where only 0,50€ or so and now they where all for years in my account.. and i never really used them anymore. so deleting such stuff is a good option.
Kusuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2022, 04:52 PM   #6
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
You'll need the order numbers of the items, but customer service can restore any ebook that they still sell. If they are tied up enough, Amazon will hopefully remove the feature or move it elsewhere so people aren't accidentally deleting their books from the cloud.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 07:08 AM   #7
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Kobo’s got an option to archive books, so you don’t see them but you still own them and can retrieve them, which provides a soft option. Still, mostly I know my mind.
I second this. An archive option would be nice. I just got my kindle today and I almost permanently deleted a book.

Although, to be fair on Amazon, there is another pop up that says it will delete the title on all your devices and you have to re-buy the book to get it back.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 02:54 PM   #8
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
I second this. An archive option would be nice. I just got my kindle today and I almost permanently deleted a book.

Although, to be fair on Amazon, there is another pop up that says it will delete the title on all your devices and you have to re-buy the book to get it back.
I agree, but note you may be unable to re-buy without help since the record of the purchase is not deleted which prevents any re-buy.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 10:22 AM   #9
marvin_2
marvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCactus View Post
Why does Amazon have a setting to permanently delete purchased kindle books. I was trying to delete the library downloaded to a Fire. I thought I clicked delete from device. I guess I was tired and permanently deleted about 15 books which I can’t remember the titles. There should be an undelete option!

I guess I need to start using calibre to save off line. Lesson learned.

Rant over!
You might find the titles in your order history (digital orders), or in your email archive if support doesn't have them. Support might be able to help you restore the books.
marvin_2 is offline   Reply With Quote