Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
jamawg
jamawg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Bricked Kobo Glo - how to put image on SD card?

When my Kobo Glo resumed from sleep it seemed like it went into factory reset. I was faced with the initial screen I had back when I first took it from the box.

When I get to the part about connecting to the PC, the Kobo desktop program will not connect; it does not see the Kobo and loops forever.

All that I can think of is reloading the image file to the internal micro SD card.

If anyone has a better suggestion, I would be very happy to hear it (e.g rest to factory defaults without reloading the SD card).

I can download the latest image file from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660 but I am unsure how to copy it to the micro SD card. The card is unreadable by Windows, but I am afraid to format it.

If I could see it in Windows, I could figure out, but right now I am stumped.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

[Update] I just found this thread which indicates 3 partitions. Since I currently run Windows, it looks like live Linux CD would help. But how to proceed after that?

Last edited by jamawg; 11-09-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:21 AM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
There is a thread here about upgrading the internal uSD card on the Glo, it includes links to a set of tools that do the job in windows.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209122

http://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

http://www.vconsole.com/client/?page=page&id=29

http://www.vconsole.com/client/?page=page&id=28

Or you can find others that create and write img files.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 11-10-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Advert
Old 11-10-2013, 01:10 AM   #3
jamawg

Thanks very much for the swift reply, Ken.

I gogoled before posting, of course, and I did find that one. It deals with inserting a larger capacity micro SD card. 1) backup you existing card, 2) format a larger card, 3) copy back.

Unfortunately, I can't get past step 1) as Windows won't recognize my micro SD card (I am currently burning a bootable Linux to see if that helps).

I can D/L the latest s/w from the link I gave, but your recommended link doesn't help me because it loads an .IMG file to the SD card and the downloaded s/w is not in .IMG format.

Any ideas? (thanks again for posting)
Old 11-10-2013, 01:20 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The .IMG format file mentioned is not the firmware file you can download. It is an disk image. It gets written to the SD card and replaces all partitions on the card. To do this, you don't mount the partitions under the OS.

I'll send you a PM with the location of the image to use.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:35 AM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamawg View Post
Thanks very much for the swift reply, Ken.

I gogoled before posting, of course, and I did find that one. It deals with inserting a larger capacity micro SD card. 1) backup you existing card, 2) format a larger card, 3) copy back.

Unfortunately, I can't get past step 1) as Windows won't recognize my micro SD card (I am currently burning a bootable Linux to see if that helps).

I can D/L the latest s/w from the link I gave, but your recommended link doesn't help me because it loads an .IMG file to the SD card and the downloaded s/w is not in .IMG format.

Any ideas? (thanks again for posting)
Ignore the windows warning offer to format, the programs will see the uSD card just fine.

I just noticed your link is to firmware upgrades which are just KoboRoot.tgz files that you
put into your .kobo directory.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 11-10-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Advert
Old 11-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@Jamawg: You need to OPEN the Kobo Glo, extract the SD card and place the SD card in a reader attached to your PC.

Then you use a tool that will read the IMG file and write it to the SD card.

Then the SD card is replaced in your Glo and it should work,
Old 11-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
If anyone has a better suggestion, I would be very happy to hear it (e.g rest to factory defaults without reloading the SD card).
Right! Why not trying a factory reset?

1) Hold the power slider in the off positon for about 20 seconds to make sure the device is off.
2) Hold down the light button and power the device on while keeping the light button held down. If the led starts blinking you can release the slider and button. This should force a factory reset.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #8
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Yeah, first try a factory reset like tshering said. Make sure your Glo has a charge, as well. If the battery's dead you won't be able to do a factory reset.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #9
jamawg

[Update] I could not power off; the device was locked on the screen where it tries to connect to the Kobo desktop (which did not recognize the device) - even when I disconnected it, it was stuck on that screen.

However, I _could_ perform a factory rest.

Eventually, Kobo desktop recognizes the device and then immediately gives ae an "oops! something unexpected happened" message, followed by "let's try that again" - at which point, it hangs.

So, I guess I need to try the image file...
Old 11-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #10
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
[Update] I could not power off; the device was locked on the screen where it tries to connect to the Kobo desktop (which did not recognize the device) - even when I disconnected it, it was stuck on that screen.

However, I _could_ perform a factory rest.

Eventually, Kobo desktop recognizes the device and then immediately gives ae an "oops! something unexpected happened" message, followed by "let's try that again" - at which point, it hangs.

So, I guess I need to try the image file...
Do you need the Kobo Desktop programme? Were you able to load books onto the device, read them, sync etc without it? It's pretty much superfluous these days, I reckon.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:22 AM   #11
jamawg

Solved !! I followed the tutorial provided by Ken and loaded an image which someone provided me by PM (you know who you are - Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! ).

At this point, it *still* hung when trying to register, so I used the "bypass registration hack" by inserting a user into the device's database and now ...

my "brick" can read eBooks!!

Thank you *very* much, all who helped.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #12
jamawg

"Solved", for small values of "solved". It reads eBooks, but won't return from sleep when running on battery ... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=227113
Old 10-01-2014, 10:47 PM   #13
nowotnik
nowotnik began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Bricked Glo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinShort View Post
Yeah, first try a factory reset like tshering said. Make sure your Glo has a charge, as well. If the battery's dead you won't be able to do a factory reset.
Hi guys,
Can I please jump on a bandwagon of bricked glo's and ask you for the image file? I tried to fix my glitchy kobo by manually installing older firmware and my device is now dead. I use one of the EXT2,3 programs to access the factory SD card under windows.

Grateful for your help.

Cheers
Pete

nowotnik@yahoo.com
Old 10-02-2014, 02:10 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
PM sent.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #15
Flashpaul
Flashpaul began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
me too please , I think my Kobo Glo needs it's uSD card replacing so the image would be handy
Closed Thread