Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 08-12-2022, 05:34 PM   #1
Hg7
Hg7 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Accessing nook epub files -- Android 7.1 Nougat

Hello, not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere. I have Nook (the Barnes/Noble eReader app) and would like to download/access the files for storage elsewhere.

I've run into a few problems...firstly, the files are (apparently) hidden. Also they are apparently DRM'ed and from what I can tell this stamp is tough to remove. I've heard there are apps out there like "Epubor" that can work around this but no idea if that's true or not. And lastly it doesn't appear they can be moved off the app.

I get that BN is worried about piracy, looking to protect authors' rights etc but my point-of-view is that I paid for these files and have a right to use/access them without being tied down to BN's proprietary software. Long story short I'd like to find some way around BN's digital obstacles so I can, you know, use the files I paid for. What are my options?
Hg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 11:56 PM   #2
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hg7 View Post
I've run into a few problems...firstly, the files are (apparently) hidden. Also they are apparently DRM'ed and from what I can tell this stamp is tough to remove.
You need to find a way to get your B&N DRM key.. I believe I emailed Epubor (who stole DeDRM code without credit I should add) or something to get mine, because it is tricky to obtain otherwise, and the key DOES work with DeDRM and is free to get... BUT doing so involves giving your B&N account info, so try to poke around elsewhere online if possible for an alternate solution. The only other one I know of is to extract it from a real and physical NOOK e-Reader. You MIGHT be able to extract it from the Android or Metro Windows app though.

The books (and key) are inside of a hidden folder on Android that requires root to access, but on Windows it is easily accessible.

I did find a guide to remove the DRM without Epubor, but it requires a rooted Android device, or an Android VM. Plus, I have heard reports of it not working. I cannot link to it directly due to the rules of this site, but search for "Liberate Your (Legally Obtained) Nook Ebooks".
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 12:57 AM   #3
FrancisWeeks
FrancisWeeks began at the beginning.

Device: none
Post key DOES work with DeDRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcatalex View Post
You need to find a way to get your B&N DRM key.. I believe I emailed Epubor (who stole DeDRM code without credit I should add) or something to get mine, because it is tricky to obtain otherwise, and the key DOES work with DeDRM and is free to get... BUT doing so involves giving your B&N account info, so try to poke around elsewhere online if possible for an alternate solution. The only other one I know of is to extract it from a real and physical NOOK e-Reader. You MIGHT be able to extract it from the Android or Metro Windows app though.

The books (and key) are inside of a hidden folder on Android that requires root to access, but on Windows it is easily accessible.

I did find a guide to remove the DRM without Epubor, but it requires a rooted Android device, or an Android VM. Plus, I have heard reports of it not working. I cannot link to it directly due to the rules of this site, but search for "Liberate Your (Legally Obtained) Nook Ebooks".
I believe I emailed Epubor (who stole DeDRM code without credit I should add) or something to get mine, because it is tricky to obtain otherwise, and the key DOES work with DeDRM and is free to get... BUT doing so involves giving your B&N account info, so try to poke around elsewhere online if possible for an alternate solution.
FrancisWeeks is offline   Reply With Quote