Notices

Old 03-31-2024, 06:58 PM   #1
CaptainKen
CaptainKen began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD 8 (2017 7th gen)
Changing (correcting series) name Auto-Increments the Series Number

I'm having the same issue as in this old thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=322221

When I edit metadata to change (correct) the "Series" name, it changes the Number to "1.0", rather than leaving the existing number unchanged. IE: Change the Series name from "GhostWalkers" to "GhostWalkers Novel".

My Setting:
series_index_auto_increment = 'no_change'
use_series_auto_increment_tweak_when_importing = False

Is there another place other than Tweaks that controls this?
CaptainKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 09:48 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
When you change the series name, there is likely no series index associated with the new name so it will be set to 1.

OTOH, why would you want to include Novel in a series name? I do have some series where I've added short story collections as SeriesName SS but adding novel is something I've never done. Reminds me of those books that arrive with the title Sunrise Morning: A Novel.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 10:08 PM   #3
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
If you use the "Manage Series" plugin, you can change the series name without affecting the series number. You can even change in bulk.

https://github.com/kiwidude68/calibr.../Manage-Series
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 10:10 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If I edit the Series name via Manage Categories the indexes in the books don't change. This setting may be relevant
Code:
series_index_auto_increment

series_index_auto_increment = 'next'
use_series_auto_increment_tweak_when_importing = True
The defaults are: 'next' and 'False'

Added: Manage Categories refers to the built in tool:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-01 131656.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	207267

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-31-2024 at 10:19 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 11:29 PM   #5
CaptainKen
CaptainKen began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD 8 (2017 7th gen)
Hey everyone thank you for quick responses and solutions!

@DNSB
What do you mean by Series Index?
Yep, after I sent this I realized addeding Novel made no sense. However, I did have others to rename, with some of them just typos.

@Karellen
That Manage Series plugin may come in handy sometime...thanks!

You're a Wizard here, moderator/contributor on Kodi forums...when do you sleep?

@BetterRed
Manage categories sure was quick and easy. Also allowed me to spot others that needed to be cleaned up.

Looks like the only setting you recommend different then mine is this one. However, it gives me the impression that it could change the series number that's in the file name, which I don't want to happen.

use_series_auto_increment_tweak_when_importing = True
CaptainKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 05:54 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
file name? Are you peeking under the Library skirts (looking in the actual file system)?
Code:
U:\TestLib\Jerome K. Jerome\Three Men in a Boat (130)
That number is an index # for Calibre internal use (also as a tie breaker if you have 2 versions).

Using the file system to copy is not the proper way to use Calibre.
Putting the Series in the Title field is also not proper.
Calibre has (standard) columns for:
Author
Title
Series and series_index <this is the position in the series. eg. 3
Publisher
Published date

and many more

Send to Device is how you normally get books to dedicated reader devices (and some with common reader apps)
Send to Folder is for those that the above wont work.
Both of those support the 'Template' language to manipulate file names for when the app does not use the books (internal) metadata (the send updates that on the fly to reflect the current Library)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 01:48 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKen View Post
Hey everyone thank you for quick responses and solutions!

@DNSB
What do you mean by Series Index?
Series has in two parts, series name and series index. All books in a series will have the same series name (i.e. Ring of Fire) while each book will have an unique numeric index. Ring of Fire #15, Ring of Fire #21, Ring of Fire #22.5 (I use fractional indexes for short stories/novellas between the major books in a series).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 06:22 PM   #8
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKen View Post
@Karellen
That Manage Series plugin may come in handy sometime...thanks!

You're a Wizard here, moderator/contributor on Kodi forums...
Hi CaptainKen, I knew your name was familiar. I've seen a few others here also. Did you get that movie set artwork fixed?

I saw a BetterRed pop-up on Kodi two days ago, but apparently not related to BetterRed here.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auto-increment, series