Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-04-2019, 04:35 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Why don't E-readers have a Replaceable Battery

The Wal-Mart thread got me started.

I mean RIGHT NOW, why don't e-readers have replaceable batteries in the same sense that cell phones have them?

Huh? What's up with that?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:36 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Many cellphones don't have them either, nowadays.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2019, 04:42 PM   #3
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Probably because there's no significant demand for it. Charges last very long compared to other electronic devices, USB charging is ubiquitous and most users probably won't even wear out their battery (before having bought a new ereader).
tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:49 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The Wal-Mart thread got me started.

I mean RIGHT NOW, why don't e-readers have replaceable batteries in the same sense that cell phones have them?

Huh? What's up with that?
Actually, Readers have replaceable batteries just like smartphones. Meaning they don't. The only difference is that I can take my iPhone in to get the battery changed. I've had my iPhone battery replaced once.

When my H2O eventually needs a new battery, I'll buy a new Reader as it will be time to get one. It's 5 years old and doing well still.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:52 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I forgot about iPhones.

I have a Samsung and it just pops out. In fact, I should probably buy a new battery within the next week.
Advert
Old 12-04-2019, 07:00 PM   #6
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Mine does! I still do most of my reading on a JetBook Lite. Runs on four AA batteries. You can still find one every now and then at Goodwill.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:20 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Mine does! I still do most of my reading on a JetBook Lite. Runs on four AA batteries. You can still find one every now and then at Goodwill.

I bought something like that, too. It was some kind of reflective technology, and not eInk.

I also bought something else (an Astak something-or-other) that had a battery in it. It was a 5-inch screen. I gave that to my nephew 6-7 years ago.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-04-2019 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:20 PM   #8
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I think everything should have replaceable batteries. It oughta' be a law!

More and more I've been reading on a phone, though not because of the battery, although it is replaceable. Not too long ago I bought a second phone just for reading and it's worked out so well I bought a spare on Black Friday. It's a Galaxy J3 and they're only $35 on Amazon at the moment. I can swap out the battery easily. It has an excellent screen as well as an excellent speaker if I listen to an audiobook or an OTR show. I can put a micro SD card in it up to 400 gig although I have a smaller one in it. And it fits comfortably in my shirt pocket. It's great for reading.

I don't have service on it but I have Wifi so that's no problem. And both Moon+ and the Kindle app sync nicely so I can read on the J3 and still get all day battery life on my S5.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:51 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I forgot about iPhones.

I have a Samsung and it just pops out. In fact, I should probably buy a new battery within the next week.
Not only iPhones. The last two Android phones I've had didn't have replaceable batteries either.

I don't really care. By the time the battery of any of my devices is even close to giving up the ghost, I've already replaced the device several times over. It also helps not to buy the cheapest devices. The cheaper the device, the poorer the battery generally is. Eink readers might be an exception to that rule.

My previous smartphone was heavily used for 5 years and the battery was still pretty good. It was a midrange phone.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:40 PM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Sometime soon the whole point will become moot.
Human lifetime batteries are actually possible and on the horizon for commercial use.
First intended use is electric cars.

https://www.insider.com/million-mile...fetime-2019-11

Other uses will spin off once volume manufacturing is fully developed.

The key difference from current Lithium Ion tech is the ridiculous number of recharge cycles: hundreds of times better than the current 2000-4000 cycles. As is, assuming an ereader gets recharged once a week, you're looking at 40-80 years worth of battery life.

The eInk screen will die long before that.

Last edited by fjtorres; 12-04-2019 at 09:46 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:03 AM   #11
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
E-readers are too delicate devices to allow user to rummage inside them.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:06 AM   #12
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
I forgot about iPhones.

Almost all newer Android phones, Samsungs, LGs, Motorolas, Nexuses/Pixels, etc. also have non-replaceable batteries. I say "almost" because there might be some off brand lower-priced one that I'm unaware of that offers a removable battery.

There's definitely no current higher end cell phone with a replaceable battery. The last Samsung Galaxy S-series phone with a replaceable battery was the S4/Note 4. We're up to S10/Note 10, with S11 coming soon. That's six years since a replaceable battery, which is pretty typical for the the last time all manufacturers sold a flagship phone with a removable battery. There was never a Google phone with a replaceable battery.

Until the Kindle Oasis 2, replacing an e-reader's battery has been a generally easier task than replacing one in a cellphone. Probably a side effect of having more room for less componentry.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:53 AM   #13
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
There's definitely no current higher end cell phone with a replaceable battery. The last Samsung Galaxy S-series phone with a replaceable battery was the S4/Note 4.

Not quite. The Galaxy S5 did too. The switch to non-removable batteries in the S6 was one of the reasons I switched to the LG V series, but they too eventually followed the trend.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:01 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Wasn't it Apple that first came out with non-user replacable batteries inside the iPhone?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:18 AM   #15
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Not quite. The Galaxy S5 did too. The switch to non-removable batteries in the S6 was one of the reasons I switched to the LG V series, but they too eventually followed the trend.
Thanks for the correction. I was thinking about the Note 5's sealed battery, but that "5-series" Galaxy came out later than the S5, and was more like the S6 (was almost identical to the S6 Edge+).
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote