Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-09-2019, 03:35 AM   #1
Katja_hbg
Groupie
Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Glo HD (landscape), Kobo Aura One
Viewer 4.3 and search

Thanks Kovid,
For the «old fashion» toolbar. I missed it very much.

I am using the viewer for investigation e.g. searching specific phrases within the book.
The mirror glas is new in the toolbar which is fine. Looks better than the former search field at the top. But it is «only» lookup outside the book.
Could there be «lookup in: this book» beside google?

It's only an idea/question as I can use shortcuts instead.
Katja_hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:43 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I dont understand what you are asking?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2019, 05:35 AM   #3
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katja_hbg View Post
Thanks Kovid,
For the «old fashion» toolbar. I missed it very much.

I am using the viewer for investigation e.g. searching specific phrases within the book.
The mirror glas is new in the toolbar which is fine. Looks better than the former search field at the top. But it is «only» lookup outside the book.
Could there be «lookup in: this book» beside google?

It's only an idea/question as I can use shortcuts instead.
You can use CTRL+F to search the book.
thiago.eec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:29 AM   #4
Horus68
Zealot
Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I dont understand what you are asking?
Maybe the user is asking that the Book search should be dockable the same way used by the button "Lookup/Search word" (or 'Lookup in'), using same window for both.

Most probably this could be useful for people having 2 screens (or really large screens) and are using the viewer to read tech books that require constant search and jumping around.

Last edited by Horus68; 11-09-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Horus68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:48 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think Katja_hbg would prefer something like this :

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-11-10 062112.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	174824

As would I.

The main problem with the existing search widget is that it disappears if you hit Escape at the wrong time. Having Search in a vertical toolbar would make it uncomfortably wide, so it would probably have to be another option - Preferences->Miscellaneous->Show Search in toolbar: <checkbox>

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2019, 08:43 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is not going to be a horizontal toolbar however it's on my TODO list to greatly improve search, adding support for regexes and adding a preview of matches throughout the book, etc. When that happens search will likely move into its own dockable panel.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:27 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
There is not going to be a horizontal toolbar however it's on my TODO list to greatly improve search, adding support for regexes and adding a preview of matches throughout the book, etc. When that happens search will likely move into its own dockable panel.
Sounds good to me.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:40 AM   #8
Katja_hbg
Groupie
Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Glo HD (landscape), Kobo Aura One
Horus68 you got it. In fact I thought it could be combined.

Erroneously I thought the mirrorglas in the toolbar is for searching and I can enter something. And therefore I asked to «look up» in the current book which will not work.

@kovid,
Looking at the screens from Horus68 I wonder whether the icon for «lookup» should be a mirror glas in the toolbar.
Shouldn't it be a house i.e. same as in the detailed preferences dialog.
Katja_hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:57 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
That sounds great - I'd love to see something like the following - with option to bookmark selected results

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-11-10 185029.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	703.7 KB
ID:	174830

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote