Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-14-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
Cdrider
Cdrider began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Broken Kindle - Must Pay to Replace

Grrrr. I'm very annoyed and frustrated with Amazon at the moment.

My original K3 was bought in November 2010 and had to be replaced in April 2011 due to a faulty battery. At the weekend I woke up to find the screen had lines over it and couldn't refresh.

Went through the online troubleshooting and there is a drop-down option relating to the problem so obviously a known fault.

Amazon called me (excellent service so far), went through the details then told me that because the original purchase was over a year ago I must pay £40 plus postage for a replacement.

I can appreciate the fact the Kindle is out of warranty but from my point of view I've had two devices neither of which have lasted a year. If it was a couple of years old I'd probably just replace it but after 13 months and two devices to just say "pay up or get lost" rankles. A lot.

I escalated things up to the Executive Customer Relations Department who simply emailed me a copy/paste of the warranty small print full of legalese in once dense paragraph and appended "we hope that clarifies the situation".

So the lesson seems to be that Amazon are great within the first year but after that there's no facility to apply a little common sense or customer service.

Like a I say, I can appreciate their position in that the device is out of warranty but I think that having two fail so quickly needs a bit of customer care.

Rant over.
Cdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
Cdrider

Thanks. Been registered for awhile but far better to have people think you a fool than to open your mouse etc etc
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Readers are, unfortunately, very fragile devices. If it's a broken glass substrate, you'll most likely be blamed for it (since the glass does not usually break by itself). This type of damage is not covered even while the device is in warranty. Amazon sometimes replace such devices anyway, but none of the other brands will ever do that, since it falls into the same category as water damage, fall damage, etc.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
In your view, would the warranty keep extending indefinitely if you had devices keep failing (assuming no user related faults) within a year each of you receiving them?
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
I would call them again and explain the situation again. Surely, they are going to look for a good solution.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
The lines indicate a broke screen. This is something that could have happened hours/days before the damage became apparent.

Either way, try contacting Kindle customer service again. And make sure it is KINDLE customer service, not Amazon customer service. They tend to be more forgiving when it comes to replacing broken Kindles.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
The lines indicate a broke screen. This is something that could have happened hours/days before the damage became apparent.

Either way, try contacting Kindle customer service again. And make sure it is KINDLE customer service, not Amazon customer service. They tend to be more forgiving when it comes to replacing broken Kindles.
Or at least they may give you a better deal on a replacement.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A broken screen substrate (which, from the description, is what's happened to you) is not covered by the warranty; it's something that you've done to your Kindle. You've banged it, dropped it, put something heavy on the screen, etc. Probably not at the time that the problem actually showed up - it could have been a while before.

Amazon are absolutely in the right here.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:52 AM   #9
Cdrider

@all

Nope, no bangs, always kept in the lighted case and being read or on the bedside table.

I don't expect them to keep replacing but I do expect at leas one device to last a year. I don't think that's unreasonable to be honest.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Unless I'm mistaken, there are no documented causes for the problem you describe other than physical damage to the screen.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdrider View Post
@all

Nope, no bangs, always kept in the lighted case and being read or on the bedside table.

I don't expect them to keep replacing but I do expect at leas one device to last a year. I don't think that's unreasonable to be honest.
Can you post a photograph of your screen, please? A broken substrate has an absolutely characteristic appearance.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:26 PM   #12
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
£40 for a out of warranty replacement is pretty reasonable to me regardless of the cause for the broken screen. There is nothing wrong with a company enforcing their own warranty policy.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:19 PM   #13
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinew View Post
£40 for a out of warranty replacement is pretty reasonable to me regardless of the cause for the broken screen. There is nothing wrong with a company enforcing their own warranty policy.
I agree.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:34 PM   #14
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
It is a pain that it's happened just after the warranty has ended (how often does that happen with goods!), but I agree that £40 isn't that bad for a replacement. Although I'm sure there have been cases where they have replaced faulty Kindles for free outwith the 1-year warranty - perhaps that was due to a fault and not a broken screen though?

Out of interest, what were you expecting them to do?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:19 PM   #15
Morpheus Phreak
Wielder of Hammers
Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle Keyboard & Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can you post a photograph of your screen, please? A broken substrate has an absolutely characteristic appearance.
All that photo will show is whether or not the substrate is broken, it will not show you the reason.

Glass can (and does) break without a user being the primary cause on occasion. I actually had this happen to my Kindle Keyboard last night.

I was reading, turned it off, set it down on top of my desk, and went to the kitchen to put a dish into the sink. I came back, turned it on, and poof only the bottom left corner would refresh and lines started appearing all over.

Nothing dropped on it, it wasn't set down roughly, it was just sitting on top of my desk for a matter of 2-3 minutes while I went away. No one was in my room, and nothing had disturbed it.

The only possible explanation I can find is resonance or a change in temperature. I do live within a couple miles of a regional airport, but do not recall any overhead flights last night. I do however have an electric heater in my room and that is near my desk so temperature changes tend to happen there sooner than in the rest of the room.

Amazon is sending out a replacement since I was still within the 1-year period. Are a majority of these cases neglect? Probably, but to say that it just can't happen without it being a users fault is false.
Morpheus Phreak is offline   Reply With Quote