Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #121
DrJoe
DrJoe began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
I just loaded the software on my PRS-300. I was frustrated with the sluggish response of the Sony software with a "full" library, and annoyed by the lack of a clock. I also had lockups and shutdowns when reading some Calibre converted ePubs. So I tried the eBookapps software. I like the feel, and it doesn't have any problems with the ePubs that were locking up the Sony software. But the clock is off. In the sony software, the clock is set correctly -- I have tried both 24hr & 12 hour (I prefer 12 hr).

It looks like it is exactly 8 hours off. Any ideas how to fix the clock?

Also, when you plug the PRS-300 in to the USB port, it comes up as two drives -- the second being a 10 MB sony library software "drive". Can I delete this somehow and make the memory available to the PRS-300? 10 MB is 30 ebooks!

Thanks,

Joe
DrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:15 PM   #122
DrJoe
DrJoe began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
OK, I did the obvious -- set the clock "ahead" 8 hours -- actually, it is behind 16 hours because I kept the date the same. Will this mess anything up? I don't see a way to check the date. Is this a time zone error of some sort?

take care,

Joe
DrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #123
fanoI
Connoisseur
fanoI began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Hello, I've tried 1.8.08.

I've tried the new CBZ/CBR reader and I've found I can't scale the image in any way!

There are big border around that I think can be cut (maybe sacrificing a little the AR but on the small 300 screen al that "blank" is wasted)!
There is no way to change the orientation, too...

The PDF bug continues to be present I can select "set visible" and the PDF is zoomed in the right way, but at the end of the page:

1. Sometimes the last row is badly cut (as if reader sees PDF as an image and not as text!)
2. In the following page the text not continue but a BIG part of the previous page is repeated.

It's pity because in this way the efforts to make PDF readable is wasted!
If this little problem go away I can use EbookApplication for PDF reading...
fanoI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:24 PM   #124
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle PW2
Yep, fanoI, I tried pdf and faced same issues, never considered the reader as something that can read pdfs, ebookapps, however, is just a shy off actually making pdf usable, just a few more issues remain.
DrunkenDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:00 PM   #125
fanoI
Connoisseur
fanoI began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Yes, me too think there only a little to do to make PDF readable

This firmware has great potential
fanoI is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 08:33 AM   #126
Patricia1066
Zealot
Patricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle PW 10th gen, Kindle Fire 7 9th gen, Kindle KB 3rd gen
I have a PRS-300 that has the original sony firmware; I found this thread by googling PRS-300 and dictionary.
To sum up what I have read so far (and if I have misread please correct me)
- original firmware is no slower than this alternative, may be faster in dealing with PDF page turn.
- original firmware is best when using calibre, due to crashing.
- original firmware has bookmarking and history.
- original firmware does cope with text PDF, but on resizing, you often have the text split across two screens, and repeating several lines of text, so the following screen is wasted. Not every page though, so it is hard to guess whether you should click once or twice to navigate.
- original firmware has limited options in resizing PDF, which is the strength of this new app. But there are quirks in the way it resizes, similiar to original firmware. Also I have read that on change to landscape, pictures on PDF file does not change orientation.
- the app has dictionary support (how do you access it without a touchscreen?)
- the app can read CBZ and other zip files.

Does the app improve the "greyness" of the reader screen experience?
Any improvements seen in the latest version of the app?
Patricia1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:20 PM   #127
jamesbeat
Connoisseur
jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Well I've been using this software for about a week now, and I'm very pleased with it!

I bought my Sony PRS505 thinking that I could put thousands of books on it and use it as a pocket library. Obviously I was pretty disappointed when I realised that putting a whole library of books on the device is not practical because of the firmware.

I tried using PRS+ for its browse by folder option.
This worked to an extent, but still not quite how I hoped. This is no reflection on the PRS+ team, they did a great job but you can't polish a turd...

This new firmware is great. It has a simple file browser, which makes cataloging my collection as easy as copying the file structure from my computer onto an SD card.
Using Calibre to organize the books and save them to disk accomplishes this with very little work.

That's it. A file browser. That's all I wanted.

The software is simple and transparent in use, which is how it should be.

Why all the fuss about the clock?
I personally couldn't give a hoot about a clock.
I have a wristwatch, an alarm clock on my nightstand, one on my cable box, one on my oven, one on my phone, they're everywhere.
I never saw a paperback with a clock, so why do we all suddenly need one on our books? If anything, I find it distracting.

I can't say anything about the dictionary function, because the type of reading I do (almost exclusively novels) rarely throws up a word I don't know, so I really don't need a dictionary.

I also don't need my book to display photos. It's a book, not a photo album, and I also have absolutely no need whatsoever for my book to play music.

What I wanted all along was the electronic equivalent of a paper book, or rather a whole library of paper books, and this software has finally given that to me.
Getting this software was like like being given a brand new device for free!

Thank you ebook applications

As a footnote, I tried out my friend's new Kindle the other day.
It was very nice indeed, and it has a search function which almost (but not quite) makes the lack of a file browser moot. I still prefer a file browser.

Now I have this software on my Sony, I can quite honestly say that I would rather have this than the Kindle. I don't need all the bells and whistles (my iPhone does all of that far better) and I prefer the design and build quality of the Sony (metal case, no keyboard)
Considering that the Sony is a whole electronic generation behind the Kindle.
Being something of a techno head, this was a pleasant surprise for me.
jamesbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:56 AM   #128
billkelly
billkelly began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
Hi,

Does anybody know if the connection issues with calibre is resolved in the latest release?

cheers
billkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #129
Foolproof
Foolproof began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I have downloaded firmware today.
I have no issues with Calibre, but for comunication I have original firmware active.

Problems I have with formats, I think the firmware do not know codepage of text.

For me (Czech) is:

DOC - OK
RTF - combination with azbuka (1256 ?)
PDB - combination with azbuka
PDF - OK

Our special "ěščřžýáíé" are as Russian.

Another problem is RAR and ZIP, no file is open (I have many in archive), it is go back to main menu, but ZIP as example in firmware package is OK.

I hope I can pack DOC etc. in RAR ?
Foolproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #130
liaybella
Member Retired
liaybella began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300

Last edited by liaybella; 10-12-2013 at 11:42 AM.
liaybella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:39 PM   #131
roebeet
Connoisseur
roebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 4 Basic, Kobo Aura
I'm giving this software another try - as always, thanks for the effort! I pulled back last month(?) because of the lack of formatting, but I'm hoping that things are a bit better, now.
roebeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:00 AM   #132
ebookapps
Enthusiast
ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS–300, Sony PRS-505
New version 1.8.1.1 has been released with important fixes:

- Time setup inside eBook Applications firmware
- Automatic power-off function (based on timer setting)
- Fixed high power consumption when SD/MSD card is used on PRS-505
- Portuguese localization
- Minor changes and bug-fixes

Version for PRS 600 and x50 series is coming out soon
ebookapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:34 AM   #133
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle PW2
Love you for that guys \o/
I think that covers everything I ever wanted from the reader... short of maybe... can yo software update the screen to Pearl, please
DrunkenDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #134
roebeet
Connoisseur
roebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 4 Basic, Kobo Aura
Is it just my eyes playing tricks on me, or does the gamma correction actually increase the contrast on epubs? I know the PDF says otherwise, so maybe it's just the placebo effect.
roebeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #135
menevets
Connoisseur
menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300/Kindle 4 basic/iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone/Nexus 7
Copy doesn't work

I unzipped the latest version and dragged it to the eReader and only 3 files copied based on status.

I disconnected, hit reset and powered on and off and the choice for the firmware didn't show up, the startup was normal.

I'm using a Macbook Pro and v1.8.1.1.

Any clues?
menevets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
djvu, epub, fb2, firmware, sony