Notices

Old 12-17-2023, 09:14 AM   #31
Pierre-Olivier
Enthusiast
Pierre-Olivier began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
Same issue yesterday. Fix for me was in Calibre Companion Settings->Other->Clear default reader apps. Next time I opened a book it offered the few reader apps on phone and I was able to select Moon Reader and set as default.
Hope this helps.
Same issue for me yesterday also.

I've tried what you said but nothing changed. And I have a few reading applications on my phone.

I don't understand why suddenly It goes wrong, since earlier in the day or perhaps the day before, all was OK.
Pierre-Olivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 05:57 PM   #32
Ytierian
Old Computer Hack
Ytierian began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab A7 Lite, Galaxy A51, Oscal Pad-70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
Same issue yesterday. Fix for me was in Calibre Companion Settings->Other->Clear default reader apps. Next time I opened a book it offered the few reader apps on phone and I was able to select Moon Reader and set as default.
Hope this helps.
Tried that - now it doesn't see ANY reader.

Someone got instructions on how to backup to 5.4.4.20? I've searched around and I can't get any decent info off the Web.

Right now - I update books on the Tablet with CC, but then to access them, I go into My Files - sort by date, and the latest files are at the top...then open in Moon + Pro from there.
Ytierian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2023, 06:23 AM   #33
Pierre-Olivier
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytierian View Post
Tried that - now it doesn't see ANY reader.

Someone got instructions on how to backup to 5.4.4.20? I've searched around and I can't get any decent info off the Web.

Right now - I update books on the Tablet with CC, but then to access them, I go into My Files - sort by date, and the latest files are at the top...then open in Moon + Pro from there.
I'm obliged to do exactly the same ...
Old 12-18-2023, 04:40 PM   #34
seanny_crow
seanny_crow began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre-Olivier View Post
I'm obliged to do exactly the same ...
Do you have it installed and NOT updated anywhere else?
I have it on my phone, I never really use it but it's just in case I'm stuck somewhere without my tab. Anyways it wasn't updated, idk why but they hadn't yet asked me to update it or I would have, it's a paid app after all (now I know that it's been completely abandoned, the email and FAQs don't work but I didn't yet) so I would have updated it without thinking about it.

But thanks Odin I didn't, because I installed an APK extractor app, made an apk from that version of Calibre and replace the one on my tab with it, but not before making a backup in the settings and checking all three checkboxes.
Then uninstalled CC, installed the apk, restored the backup (had to redo my user defined sort though...) and blocked the auto updating of the app in the playstore.
And of course kept the good APK in a safe place.
I can't share it, rules....
But if someone wants to MP me to talk about Bubba HoTep, the movie I'm watching right now they absolutely can, maybe we could share a few things like a link to a pixie drive...

Peace fellers!

PS: The only thing that sucks now is that my user defined sorting is ignored on CC start on the tablet. Same version and same settings exactly as the phone but every time I launch CC on the table it's sorted by title all the while telling me it's sorted by my user defined sort and I have to tap it again to get it to my sort. It doesn't do that on the phone. I've made another thread about it but I feel in my bones that it's link to this reinstall/restore

Last edited by seanny_crow; 12-18-2023 at 06:51 PM.
seanny_crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 11:55 AM   #35
Pierre-Olivier
Enthusiast

It's unacceptable that users who have payed for this app can't obtain an earlier release of this application : 5.4.4.19 would be the good one, I think, since if functions well on an other phone, although 5.4.4.21broke everything on my main phone : Can't connect to Calibre (read only library), and can't transfer to reading app.
Advert
Old 12-24-2023, 05:56 PM   #36
Ytierian
Old Computer Hack
Ytierian began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab A7 Lite, Galaxy A51, Oscal Pad-70
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanny_crow View Post
Do you have it installed and NOT updated anywhere else?
Nope - my phone and my tablet both upgraded...no other copies floating around here.

They should make it available to regress to a previous version from the G-Store for instances like this where the upgrade 'breaks' something.
Ytierian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:29 PM   #37
MJSousa
MJSousa began at the beginning.

Device: Ectaco JetBook Lite
If it's still abandoned, why is there an update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
CC is abandoned. Suggest not holding breath
MJSousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:31 PM   #38
MJSousa
MJSousa began at the beginning.

Device: Ectaco JetBook Lite
not just reader support...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Eagle View Post
While it says 5.4.4.19 on the page, the version that gets installed is actually 5.4.4.21 which is the very one which broke reader support.
For me I can also not do backups ... asks me if file is read-only. When I try to confirm Android has all permissions for cc, I cannot get Android permissions manager to change options for cc - looks like it "lost" the permissions to access files on phone (not very good with Android, so it could be me, but I followed instructions online and it worked for other apps).

Last edited by MJSousa; 01-18-2024 at 07:40 AM.
MJSousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 11:12 AM   #39
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJSousa View Post
Robotic churn by the store, that keep things floating near the top of recommendations ?

Have you ever read the release notes of various Android updates?

Incredibly Vague is the only words that come to mind.

#2 on my growl list is cosmetic (visual) with no other gain / feature

More glitter.
Add more bling
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 05:04 PM   #40
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Robotic churn by the store, that keep things floating near the top of recommendations
But why would the soup company mess with an abandoned app… the only reputation that has anything to lose is their own?

In my admittedly naïve opinion someone has gotten hold of the credentials required to update CC on Google Play and decided to have a play… maybe a disgruntled former user. If one knew how, one might search the dark web for you know who's credentials.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 04:35 AM   #41
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
What is stopping GP from doing this? They have SU privs
They may be just checking compatibility, adjusting embedded ads...

Who knows how it is getting done except GP or the app owner.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 05:11 AM   #42
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
But why would the soup company mess with an abandoned app… the only reputation that has anything to lose is their own?

In my admittedly naïve opinion someone has gotten hold of the credentials required to update CC on Google Play and decided to have a play… maybe a disgruntled former user. If one knew how, one might search the dark web for you know who's credentials.

BR
Quote:
What is stopping GP from doing this? They have SU privs
They may be just checking compatibility, adjusting embedded ads...

Who knows how it is getting done except GP or the app owner.
I strongly suspect CC was minimally updated to use a newer Android target API level so that it wouldn't disappear from the GP store. Such an update could easily require UI changes.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 05:12 PM   #43
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I still don't get what would motivate Google Play to mess with an abandoned app. Why modify the code, even robotically, in order to make it 'compatible' with the latest version of Android but also break it in the process… and then shovel it on to peoples devices.

Maybe it's bragging rights as to which store has the most apps; the CEOs of the parent companies have been known to exhibit the behaviour of nine-year olds at times.

BR
Old 01-19-2024, 05:21 PM   #44
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I still don't get what would motivate Google Play to mess with an abandoned app. Why modify the code, even robotically, in order to make it 'compatible' with the latest version of Android but also break it in the process… and then shovel it on to peoples devices.

Maybe it's bragging rights as to which store has the most apps; the CEOs of the parent companies have been known to exhibit the behaviour of nine-year olds at times.

BR
I think it was done by Sam & Co. After all, people seem to still be paying for it so why not keep it available if the cost is low? If Google started changing apps they would be in a world of lawsuit hurt. "You changed my app without permission and now I have bad reviews. You owe me $1,564,010!"
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 06:42 PM   #45
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I think it was done by Sam & Co.
And not tested of course, is unconscionable conduct acceptable in the indispensable nation?

BR