Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-03-2017, 09:30 AM   #91
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Two titles at £0.99 today as part of the Kindle UK daily deal. I'm really happy to finally get East of Eden, my favorite Steinbeck title, for something less than the US $14 that it is right now at Kindle US.

East of Eden by John Steinbeck
link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002RI9K5Y/

On the Road by Jack Kerouac
link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005BPAFKO/
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:45 PM   #92
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Bargain @ $1.99 each as part of Amazon's Kindle Daily Deals for July 11th, some really nice modern classic foreign literature in translation reprints from specialty small press New Directions who, in my admittedly limited experience, do excellent work (some prices available in Canada, others US-only; not discounted in other stores, though you can ask Kobo for a price-match):
  • Labyrinths by the late Argentine author Jorge Luis Borges (Wikipedia), his 1962 collection of short stories with speculative fiction/magical realism elements (Wikipedia). The contained short “Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius” was up for a Retro Hugo last year. This edition has a new introduction by cyberpunk author William Gibson (Wikipedia). Discounted only in the US.
  • Journey to the End of the Night by the late French author Louis-Ferdinand Céline (Wikipedia), his vintage 1932 semi-autobiographical novel (Wikipedia), which was apparently quite influential throughout the decades. This has a new introduction by National Book Award-winning novelist and journalist William T. Vollman (Wikipedia). Also discounted in Canada.
  • The Rings of Saturn by the late German author W. G. Sebald (Wikipedia), whom Wikipedia says was considered as a Nobel Prize candidate. This is a literary novel which is one of those sorts of going-about meditations (not sfnal, despite the title), which its Wikipedia entry says was adapted into a 2012 film. Not available in the Amazon CA catalogue for some reason, even though it exists at Kobo and Google CA.
  • New Seeds of Meditation by the late Thomas Merton (Wikipedia), a notable Catholic theologian who also explored other religions. This is some sort of mystical literary spiritual meditation which apparently transcends denominational boundaries in its insightful effect, with a new introduction by literary novelist Sue Monk Kidd (Wikipedia) who cites him as a direct inspiration. Also discounted in Canada.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2017, 06:18 PM   #93
tch65721
Evangelist
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 10", Android phone
I nearly missed that Shogun was on sale for $1.99. I really wish people would post, or at least crosspost in category threads.
tch65721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:15 AM   #94
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Uh huh. Do you post a lot yourself?. Because I am quite happy to glance through the threads daily. Doesn't take long and I am happy that regular posters find these goodies and let us know. I even say thank you when there is something I want to read. Probably not often enough, but at least I don't moan when I nearly miss a bargain
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:33 AM   #95
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tch65721 View Post
I nearly missed that Shogun was on sale for $1.99. I really wish people would post, or at least crosspost in category threads.

Our members do this as a favor for the community. Asking people to post - for your convenience - seems a rather selfish desire and rather one-sided.

If you wish to post a freebie, then you are certainly free to do so. (And I see that, indeed, you have done this.)

Saying 'Thank you' can go a long way in showing your appreciation.

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-20-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #96
TrevorViking
Wizard
TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tch65721 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Our members do this as a favor for the community. Asking people to post - for your convenience - seems a rather selfish desire and rather one-sided.

If you wish to post a freebie, then you are certainly free to do so. (And I see that, indeed, you have done this.)

Saying 'Thank you' can go a long way in showing your appreciation.

Don
(Moderator)
Your comment seems needlessly abrasive. Seems like a logical 'complaint' to have major deals mentioned in the category threads. If not, why even have them at all?
TrevorViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:57 PM   #97
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorViking View Post
Your comment seems needlessly abrasive. Seems like a logical 'complaint' to have major deals mentioned in the category threads. If not, why even have them at all?
I can understand both sides of this issue, it's disappointing when you miss a deal you would have liked. But it is NOT a great hardship to skim the Deals and freebies forum every so often, I would say it is my most used forum at mobileread.com.

When I report a deal or bargain, or any post really, I post it where I think the most people interested would see it. However I think I've done my "civic duty" by reporting it in the forum that I think will get the message out to the most people. If the moderators think my post belongs in a different forum, I am content if they move it, presumably they know their audience better than me.

It has been my experience that most forum managers rather hate cross posting since it eats up storage. Though my experience has mostly been on photographic forums.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:02 PM   #98
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
It has been my experience that most forum managers rather hate cross posting since it eats up storage. Though my experience has mostly been on photographic forums.
I've had stuff deleted and been messaged by mods here on MR when I've done it in the past.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:06 PM   #99
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
We allow cross-posting in the Deals forum.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:31 PM   #100
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
We allow cross-posting in the Deals forum.
Good to know that's the case now. In the past I've been messaged by mods and had deal posts deleted when posted both as a separate thread and in a genre thread.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:36 PM   #101
tch65721
Evangelist
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 10", Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorViking View Post
Indeed, I thought it was and it was just a suggestion. Didn't mean to rile the natives. Jeez, what a prickly bunch.
tch65721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:48 AM   #102
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Not sure if it is a sale or the regular price, but the Signet Classics edition of Frank Norris' McTeague is listed on Amazon at $1.99.

"Frank Norris' graphic portrayal of the seamy side of survival in turn-of-the-century urban America remains shocking and powerful today -and its conclusion just as harrowing."

McTeague was famously adapted as Erich von Stroheim's eight hour movie Greed.

The book is PD, but Signet Classics usually does a very nice job in their editions.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 03:15 AM   #103
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
One of today's Amazon UK daily deals is Gerald Durrell's My Family and Other Animals

Only £0.99 today.

Well worth a read, it retells his childhood on Corfu.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:42 PM   #104
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
The Best Pirate Stories Ever Told - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Pirate-S...dp/B00558B5QA/
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:55 AM   #105
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
The Collector by John Fowles is $CDN 2.99 at Amazon.ca today:
https://www.amazon.ca/Collector-John.../dp/B0081BTN0I

The price was set by the publisher (Hachette), so it may be on sale elsewhere
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote