Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 05-15-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Thumbs up HD/HD+ - What Are Your Must-Have Apps Now That Google Play Is Available?

I've been trying out new apps on my HD like a madwoman and there are some that I've found that I think are going to be useful. I was wondering what the rest of you had put on your devices?

The one I like so far:

Puffin browser premium - allows flash
Kindle for Android
Cool Reader
Amazon MP3 - gives access to my cloud music purchases
Bitdefender's Antivirus Free - defs are stored in the cloud so small footprint
Audible - can access my audiobook purchases
AppKiller
Azkend - Match-3 game with great graphics
Crackle - free movies
LibriVox Downloader - allows me to download to the external SD card, the official LibriVox app doesn't
Machinarium - great indie game
MortPlayer - great for audiobooks
PlayOn Mobile - TV channels (need to have a computer acting as a server)
Roku
Power Tune-Up
Relax Melodies Premium
Solitaire City HD
Swiftkey for Tablet - excellent replacement keyboard
Temple Run 2 - fun game
The Room - intriguing locked-box puzzle game
Wolfram Alpha
X-plore - great file manager
YouTube
AlphaTots & TallyTots - well-designed learning aps for alphabet & numbers
Listen To BBC
TV Dream - Live TV channels from around the world
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:22 AM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
My most must-have app is MotoGP Live Experience. I douubt many others here agrees with me on that though...
More common appss that I use on other devices, and therefore want on the HD as well:
Zinio
Business Calender
GMail
Pulse
A paid Crossword app
Assorted Cut The Rope apps
Sketchbook Pro
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
chrisparker
Connoisseur
chrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: iPad Air 4, iPad mini 5, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Nook ST Glowlight
BBC iPlayer
iPlayer Radio
Calibre Companion
Evernote
Pocket
WeatherPro HD
Wunderlist
chrisparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Since I've had my HD+ only a couple of weeks (got just before the end of the sale), still haven't added much yet.

Kindle reader app
Audible app
Amazon mp3 player
Calibre Companion
Mantano reader app (which I'm not sure I'm going to keep)
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
rah68
readaholic
rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire HD 8.9
How does one go about getting Google play on Kindle HD.......without hacking and voiding warranty??
rah68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah68 View Post
How does one go about getting Google play on Kindle HD.......without hacking and voiding warranty??
You should ask on the Kindle Fire forum, but the short answer is you don't.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Pulse was already available in Nook store, but I like that. The Kindle app lets me sync my sideloaded books with my phone, so I convert all my books to mobi and use that. I like my Phase 10 game, too.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #8
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I never sync anything with my phone; it runs Symbian.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
jethro10
Enthusiast
jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: cybook
Any launcher based on the standard Android one.
It's quicker than the built in one, and configurable - I hide all the apps I don't want.
jethro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #10
WashWest
Enthusiast
WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindly Paperwhite, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro10 View Post
Any launcher based on the standard Android one.
It's quicker than the built in one, and configurable - I hide all the apps I don't want.
I love the ADW launcher on my HD+ - easy to configure, works (mostly) harmoniously with the stock OS.

In terms of games, my favorite so far is Osmos HD -- gorgeous game for the HD+ 's gorgeous screen.
WashWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:17 PM   #11
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

My problem is, is that I like to have a lot of apps showing on my tabletop. Though I have shifted back up into the cloud the ones that I don't use with any regularity.

Last edited by Xanthe; 06-07-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #12
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

I've added the NEXT Browser to my must-haves. It also plays Flash and Amazon Instant Video works on it.

What I'm trying to decide on now is a password manager.

ETA: That browser will also play the Acorn TV videos from the Acorn website.

Last edited by Xanthe; 06-11-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
How well does the Amazon App store work on the Nook HD+?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #14
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
How well does the Amazon App store work on the Nook HD+?
I don't think it does, I haven't tried to access it. I use Google Play.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #15
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I just ordered an HD+ 32 GB, and now that they have the play store, I'm wondering if I need to get a N2A card. I expect to use Nova launcer as that's what I have on my phone and really like it. And of course K4A.

I like Jelly Bean, but ICS is almost as good, especially with an aftermarket launcher.

So I gues my question is what would I gain/lose by rooting the HD+?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote