Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-21-2011, 05:50 AM   #1
zacbrown
zacbrown began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
How do I get free books onto the Nook?

Newbie here looking for some help. I have found several of the suggessted free sites to obtain free books, but, How do I get them in my Nook? Also, How does the epub work and how do I get that? Thanks
zacbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:34 AM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
when in the "shop" application on your nook, type in either "Free" or 0.00 in the search field.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
zebrella
zebrella began at the beginning.

Device: PB Pro 602, PB IQ 701, Nook
Download them on your pc (if not from B&N) and use the software Calibre to manage them and load them in your Nook.
zebrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
You can, with a little though, just plug the nook in to your PC with the provided USB cable, and copy them over (make sure it's to the right place). But caliber is rather easier, and free (and useful in other ways, too).

http://calibre-ebook.com/
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
You can, with a little though, just plug the nook in to your PC with the provided USB cable, and copy them over (make sure it's to the right place).
At least for NOOK 1st Edition, don't try to download directly from web site to NOOK. Download to your computer, then copy to NOOK. Web browsers usually do downloading by downloading to a temporary file name and then renaming to the final name when all is well. I don't know about the other NOOK models, but the 1st Edition doesn't like having files being renamed while they're present on the NOOK.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The nook Color can, indeed (with the 1.2 update, at least), download from the web. They show up in myfiles-->My Files-->My Downloads, and mostly work like any other sideloaded content (though you can't make it appear on the home page, and I'm not sure how reliably it will remember the last page you were on). I have confirmed this from Project Gutenberg.

But I wasn't referring to that, I was referring to copying stuff over with Windows Explorer with the nook as a removable drive - no additional software needed.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
I wasn't referring to that, I was referring to copying stuff over with Windows Explorer with the nook as a removable drive - no additional software needed.
And obviously I wasn't clear, either. I was referring to using your computer's browser to download the e-book directly onto the NOOK's "drive". At least for NOOK 1st Edition, this doesn't work. The e-book needs to be downloaded onto your computer's hard drive, then copied with Windows Explorer or whatever.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #8
taustin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Pardee View Post
And obviously I wasn't clear, either. I was referring to using your computer's browser to download the e-book directly onto the NOOK's "drive". At least for NOOK 1st Edition, this doesn't work. The e-book needs to be downloaded onto your computer's hard drive, then copied with Windows Explorer or whatever.
I recall it didn't work on my original, but it does work on the Color (with the 1.2 update, anyway). I've read there's a browser on the Touch, but when I played with one in the store, it was a pretty half-assed browser, and didn't seem to work very well at all.