Notices

Old 07-25-2009, 09:52 PM   #31
pghmark
TANSTAAFL
pghmark began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505(favorite), Blackjack, IPod Touch
Upgrade Under Windows7

Kovid,

I hit a problem I thought we addressed several versions ago, but I can't find the thread to refresh me on whether you fixed something, or gave me special instructions

I've been using Calibre 0.5.14 on Windows7 with no problems. When I try to install the new version, I get an error message indicating the Calibre is still running and I can't finish the installation. Calibre is not listed in Task Manager as a running application, or process. Even tried it after a fresh reboot.

Thanks for a great program and your help...
pghmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:02 PM   #32
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkyb View Post
I'm a linux newbie working on a dell mini netbook. I had no problems using the previous version of Calibre but am getting this error upon trying to install version 6: ImportError: libphonon.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I've installed libphonon4 and libphonon-dev but continue to get the error. I've been reading message boards, the ubuntu community forums, and anything else I can find to fix the problem myself but keep coming up with nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheri
What version of Ubuntu are you using?
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2009, 10:03 PM   #33
Berkyb
Berkyb began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
I'm using 8.04 (Hardy)
Berkyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:39 PM   #34
Graflan
Graflan began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
I'm also having the same problem with ImportError: libphonon.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory. I've installed the libphonon4 package.

My OS is Ubuntu 8.04
Graflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:29 AM   #35
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghmark View Post
I've been using Calibre 0.5.14 on Windows7 with no problems. When I try to install the new version, I get an error message indicating the Calibre is still running and I can't finish the installation. Calibre is not listed in Task Manager as a running application, or process.
Not Kovid here, but do you have the Calibre tray notification turned on? I thought that sometimes caused a problem of Calibre appearing to be running, when it wasn't...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2009, 12:31 AM   #36
Garfunkel
Garfunkel began at the beginning.

Device: iTouch
Kovid, the ticket I opened is http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/ticket/2908.
Garfunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:31 AM   #37
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Kovid, I tried to redownload the installer and I'm still getting that very odd display of the internal fonts in the program.

I had two thoughts about possible causes:
  1. What font is used in the body of your program? Is it possible I'm getting that odd display because I don't have that font installed on my computer?
  2. Is there any reason this could be caused by my having Python 2.5 installed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre0.6-OMG2.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	32961  
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:48 AM   #38
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@pghamark: You sure you dont have calibre.exe in your list of processes (note processes and not applications)

@FizzyWater: calibre doesn't use any special font to render its interface, just whatever is your system default. I really have no idea what could be causing that.

@Graflan and Berkyb: We're working on a solution for the libphonon problem, unfortunately, calibre needs Qt 4.5 (which is what needs libphonon). The version of libphonon on your systems is too old.

@Garfunkel: Yeah it's on my TODO list.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:55 AM   #39
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
There seems to be a whole whack of new options for conversions. I realize that I will need to spend some time playing around with the updated gui options, but I would like to start off similar to my 0.5.14 processing. In 0.5.14, I import html, lit or epub files and export to epub. I usually change the baseline font to 13 and use the css override of:
--override-css "p {margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom:0pt;padding:0pt; text-indent:20pt}"

In looking at the conversion options available in 0.6, I am not sure where to put in my options for my old workflow. I see a base font dialog in the look and feel section, but the default is now 0.0, not the 11 from before. I assume I just replace the 0.0 with 13. I found a margins section on the page setup section and I assume the left and right correspond to my old css override of padding, but am not fully sure about that. As well, I didn't see any area to input text indenting. I did see an area in the LRF output, but I am outputting into epub.

Thanks for any help/sugggestions.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:56 AM   #40
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
There seems to be a whole whack of new options for conversions. I realize that I will need to spend some time playing around with the updated gui options, but I would like to start off similar to my 0.5.14 processing. In 0.5.14, I import html, lit or epub files and export to epub. I usually change the baseline font to 13 and use the css override of:
--override-css "p {margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom:0pt;padding:0pt; text-indent:20pt}"

In looking at the conversion options available in 0.6, I am not sure where to put in my options for my old workflow. I see a base font dialog in the look and feel section, but the default is now 0.0, not the 11 from before. I assume I just replace the 0.0 with 13. I found a margins section on the page setup section and I assume the left and right correspond to my old css override of padding, but am not fully sure about that. As well, I didn't see any area to input text indenting. I did see an area in the LRF output, but I am outputting into epub.

Thanks for any help/sugggestions.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:04 AM   #41
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
there is still an override css (except that it's called extra css) so you should just be able to use it as before, with the exception of font sizes, which you may have to play around a little bit with.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:33 AM   #42
PiAir
PiAir began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX and BeBook
Did the feed2xxxx command line options get removed from the Windows version or did they get integrated into another command also?
PiAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:37 AM   #43
PiAir
PiAir began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX and BeBook
Smile Found it in the wiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiAir View Post
Did the feed2xxxx command line options get removed from the Windows version or did they get integrated into another command also?
Answering my own question: yes, it got integrated into the ebook-convert command.

One thing I did wrong was that I was using .py as extension for my filters. That wasn't a problem before, but now you need to use .recipe
The export type is determined by the extension of the export filename.

So now you use:
Code:
calibre>ebook-convert filters/myfilter.recipe ebooks/myBook.epub
to create an epub based on a custom recipe.
And
Code:
calibre>ebook-convert filters/myfilter.recipe ebooks/myBook.mobi
creates a mobipocket version of the same recipe.

Also see the wiki page about it
PiAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:09 AM   #44
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
All the old conversion commands have been consolidated into a single command called ebook-convert
Code:
ebook-convert myfile.epub output.txt
Just like you, I too like to use commandline.

When I tried to use ebook-convert it told me that it has numerous interesting options. Too mumerous to be documented in manpage or a humble -h option output . It told me to go to
http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/user_m...onversion.html
But ... said page is completely devoid of any documentation of options.
How can I help you to remedy this situation?

Kacir
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:39 AM   #45
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Just like you, I too like to use commandline.

When I tried to use ebook-convert it told me that it has numerous interesting options. Too mumerous to be documented in manpage or a humble -h option output . It told me to go to
http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/user_m...onversion.html
But ... said page is completely devoid of any documentation of options.
How can I help you to remedy this situation?

Kacir
Code:
ebook-convert -h
Will print a very basic help.

The full help options are created dynamically based on your input and output types.

Code:
ebook-convert in.epub out.txt -h
This will give you the full list of option based upon those formats. This design decision is because some formats specify format specific input/output options and some disable global input/output options.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote