Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-22-2018, 02:11 AM   #1
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Kopo Android App sees/imports only epubs, not kepubs

After getting a cluestick from Kovind, I sideloaded my kepub to my Huawei tablet, only to discover that the Kobo app doesn't see it. If the epub is on the tablet, the app is happy to find and import it, but the kepub is ignored, not showing up at all in the list of items available for import. Is there any way I can fix this?
Old 10-22-2018, 03:02 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I think you have found the answer: Sideload as an epub.

I doubt if the Android or iOS app will have any special handling for sideloaded kepubs. I think it will just treat them the same as any sideloaded epub. But, you could try the double extension of ".kepub.epub". This is what is used on the devices to trigger a book being treated as a kepub rather than an epub. But, a very quick test here doesn't show any difference with either file name.

And looking at your post in the calibre forum, I assume the differences you are referring to are something you see in on your Clara HD between the kepub and epub. If so, they are probably differences between how the two renderers work. But, you would need to load exactly the same version of the file to both renders to be sure.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2018, 03:29 AM   #3
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I think you have found the answer: Sideload as an epub.

...I assume the differences you are referring to are something you see in on your Clara HD between the kepub and epub. If so, they are probably differences between how the two renderers work. But, you would need to load exactly the same version of the file to both renders to be sure.
Actually, I only have the kepub on my Clara. When I first sideloaded the epub onto my tablet (before configuring Calibre to send it kepubs), I noticed that the very top line of the text was slightly "decapitated", and the page numbering was strange - flick through a dozen pages and see "page 2 of 2" That' why I decided to try sideloading the kepub. On deleting and reloading the epub now, I see the "slice" is fixed, and I can ignore the page number issue, so thank you for your advice, it's working fine.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:20 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Does this help

https://github.com/kobolabs/epub-spe...sting-purposes

Android

Connect the device to your computer via USB.

Find the drive on your computer in Windows Explorer. If you use a Mac, install and connect to the device using*Android File Transfer.

Drag your ePub onto the device.

If you use a Kobo Arc, navigate to the Books Collection. Otherwise, navigate to the Kobo App, then tap the side bar menu icon on the top left (the icon with the three horizontal bars vertically stacked) to bring out the sidebar. Then tap on either 'All' or 'All Items' based on your app version.

Select options (the three dots on the top right) then “Import”.

Once the files appear, confirm that you want to import them. They will display in your library.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:26 AM   #5
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Thanks Peter, vry interesting. I may have a play with that.
Advert
Old 10-22-2018, 01:36 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The instructions might be a bit out of date but when I was at either the Home screen or the My Books screen the 3 dots in the top right gave me an Import option which worked perfectly to add a side loaded kepub to the app

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote